• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

Sudden alcohol intolerance causing flushing

I make no pretence of understanding the process causing it, but from experience of 30+ years of ME I can definitely say that the alcohol flush reaction (and near instant hangover from as little as a tablespoon of wine) is something that has switched on and off during the course of my illness. I...
  2. A

Holgate (AfME) talk at Royal Free Hospital

Does anyone know how this went?
  3. A

David Tuller: My brief encounter with Prof Crawley

Yes I probably do. Thanks. I think the Ashden trust is the other though. Assumed this was all well known to PR folks.
  4. A

David Tuller: My brief encounter with Prof Crawley

Loop Um, you mean Sainsbury's trust. Hardly unknown. The Linbury trust has a long history of supporting research into CFS. A bit more surprising that they had to tap into to the Ashden trust, a supposedly environmental charity to fund SMILE.
  5. A

Esther Crawley TEDxBristol Disrupting Your View Of ME

Thanks also I am so glad someone is taking a proactive approach. Utterly dismayed that the ME Charities response so far is to pretend this isn't happening. This surely will be by far the biggest non medical audience EC has had for her fabrications and distortions on this subject.
  6. A

strain of medical marijuana!

Hadn't heard that before. Not my experience really. Recently cannabis seems to exacerbate pain if anything.
  7. A

Fair enough. I found cannabis very useful to alleviate some unpleasant ME symptoms for a good few years, and just as important it gave me a sense that enjoyment is possible in my life, rather than just a mitigation of the misery so I can get on with necessary chores. Whether this is escapism or...
  8. A

Well yes I saw that. Unfortunately it is not much help to me as I live in the UK and my only choice really was to buy whatever was offered on the street.
  9. A

I suspect this is the truest article about medical cannabis I have read for some time. Branding of (ex or current) black market products is never going to be taxonomy.
  10. A

I can't decide if this is admirable or stupid. You gave up something that made you feel good with more energy in order to more accurately test medicines, which presumably may or may not help? What medicines are these, or is there more to the story?
  11. A

Cannabis and ME/CFS

Good to know. Just in case anyone is interested, the adverse effects that make me question whether it is on balance beneficial to me are all of a physical nature, not the fairly common reports of paranoia etc (luckily I have never suffered this). Particularly, prolonged itchiness (this sometimes...
  12. A

Cannabis and ME/CFS

That surprises me! I have recently tried some CBD oil. Was more relieved that I didn't get nasty side effects but got no obvious benefits so far.
  13. A

Cannabis and ME/CFS

Is it too late to contribute to this thread? I have a quarter century of experience of using cannabis with ME. It used to be my most effective weapon against PEM symptoms particularly, and also pretty good for alleviating the rubbishy fatigued (not tiredness) feeling that makes ones body feel...
  14. A

Esther Crawley - 18th May 2017 - A day with the MUPP(ets) and more

So they would have us believe that the muppets "joke" was intended to be on the doctors attending! Really!! Or just maybe...
  15. A

Dry hands, skin cracking on fingers

I have had ME a lot longer than I have had the bleeding fingers thing. It did however come soon after a big relapse 7 years ago. A few other new symptoms including very dry eyes. I suppose I am wondering if there is anything simple like a deficiency in something I could correct. Pictures of...
  16. A

Dry hands, skin cracking on fingers

I have been having a problem with my fingertips which has bothered me for the last five years. It could be similar to what others have mentioned here. In my case the some of my fingertips crack open into a bleeding wound a few times a month which then takes a few days to heal. I did see a...
  17. A

Small bumps that itch and turn into bigger "blisters" [Pictures]

I've had a sometimes very itchy raised patch with a red centre on my upper back for some years. No way is it a bite, been around too long. Seems to heal up for while then recur. No answer or much interest from doc. Another ME mystery symptom it seems!
  18. A

Which version of Ramsay's Disease is better?

Isnt it about tme that Melvin Ramsay had a proper wikipedia entry? Many I know in the patient community have no awarenes of him.The fact I do is probably more to do with having got ill in the1980s. Before "CFS", at least in the Uk, but still a time of widespread condescension and neglect towards ME.
  19. A

UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative September

Yes if you in Bristol on tuesday afternoon would be happy to meet up, PM me if you like. I had thought of just turning up to see if they let me in, but I'm guessing that might be construed as harassment in some quarters and it wouldn't be fair to sully the good reputation of PwME just to...
  20. A

Oh good! I live in Bristol but seem to have missed the boat on this one. I very much like to attend if anyone has a spare ticket so to speak.
  21. A

Is anyone on here attending the patient/reseacher sessions of this conference?