• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. LynnJ

Is "overmethylation" actually paradoxical folate deficiency?

I continue to be confused on this. Lately I'm seeing a number of people state that there is really no such thing as "overmethylation," at least for the average person taking B12/folate/etc. They go on to state that in fact, the issue is probably that you don't have enough folate in your system...
  2. LynnJ

Active B12 Protocol Basics

Thank you - that's helpful! I'm having a hard time keeping track of all this. Ugh. But I seem to be doing better taking around 2500mcg of folinic acid (the form my body seems to prefer by far), and 1000mcg of methyl B12. Still not doing GREAT, but better.
  3. LynnJ

Okay, one more question, because I confess I'm STILL confused about this. I have - had - a folate deficiency. I am on a drug that depletes folate levels. I currently take more folate than B12. I take 2400mcg of folate, and 1000mcg of B12. I've seen mixed info on ideal ratios of B12/folate. But...
  4. LynnJ

B12 Supplement with both Adeno and Methyl B12?

Thank you for your suggestion. I updated the post to reflect that I am looking for a sublingual product at this time. I assure you that I keep my eyes on my personal financial situation and have done the math, and at this time I am not looking to buy the oils.
  5. LynnJ

New protocol thanks to Freddd--going off hydroxy B12, starting methyl B12

I don't know why hydroxy doesn't work as well for me. It did in the beginning, but over time.... Weird. Everyone is different, that's for sure. We all have to do our own experiments and see what works. I had to experiment a LOT to find out that folinic acid is the only form of folate I can...
  6. LynnJ

Which is great, but what I'm trying to tell you is....I can't afford using those oils long term! LOL. Unless I could use DRASTICALLY less - like one pump per WEEK - it's not doable for me. Sorry. I really do want to try them... But unless one bottle lasts me 3-4 months, nope. It's no doubt...
  7. LynnJ

Are all the other "essential" supplements (zinc, vitamin E, fish oil, etc) TRULY, 100% essential? I confess I'm not taking them right now... Eek. I'm taking B12, folinic acid, B2, calcium, vitamin C (in a much lower dose than what's recommended here - I don't like C megadoses), and magnesium on...
  8. LynnJ

New protocol thanks to Freddd--going off hydroxy B12, starting methyl B12

I've been using hydroxy B12 for the last few months. I THOUGHT it was going alright, but I just realized my increasing shortness of breath was because I - apparently - don't have enough B12 (in general, or to process the folate, since I have folate deficiency issues). Just one evening of...
  9. LynnJ

Well, maybe one day I'll try them, but unfortunately, it's just not something I can do right now. Sublinguals have helped me tremendously. Taking them with my folinic acid on a daily basis has made the horrible neuropathy in my feet and insane shoulder pain vanish. The only continuing issues I...
  10. LynnJ

Hm. I would really love to try it, but the problem is, I don't think I could afford it in the long run. Which makes buying it one or twice largely useless for me, since I'd have to return to the more affordable pills eventually.
  11. LynnJ

I dunno about that. My current sublingual is like $6! Quite a difference. How much B12 is in one "dose," exactly?
  12. LynnJ

Holy cow. Yep, $20 to ship to the US. $70 total? I don't think that's doable for me.
  13. LynnJ

How long does one bottle last? That $50 price tag made me cringe. I assume shipping isn't cheap, either. I'm a little confused about those oils tbh when it comes to dosing, how much you apply, etc.
  14. LynnJ

Anyone prefer folinic acid over methylfolate?

Yes. Both folate and folic acid killed me. Well, maybe not quite, but it felt like it at times. LOL. Folinic acid seems to be the only form I can tolerate. It's a bit frustrating, because some folks insist folinic acid is "bad," and folate is the ONLY right option. But...the folinic acid seems...
  15. LynnJ

Has anyone found a good B12 (only) sublingual supplement that contains both Adeno and Methyl B12? I stumbled across this one today, and I'm wondering if it's any good...
  16. LynnJ

B2 I love you!

Are those of you taking large doses of B2 at all nervous for your eyes? Some research has linked large amounts of B2 to developing eye problems if you don't take precautions like wearing sunglasses. For example: "A potentially dangerous combination would be the consumption of high-dose vitamin...
  17. LynnJ

Air Hunger & Tachycardia Return - Help?!

"Air hunger is respiratory distress marked by gasping, labored breathing or dyspnea. With air hunger, you'll feel the need to take deep breathes, but likely will have difficulty when you try. So you're left with an ongoing and destressing feeling of not being able to get enough air." My...
  18. LynnJ

Air Hunger & Tachycardia Return - Help?!

I'm feeling lost right now. I could really, really use some help. I currently take 1000mcg of hydroxy B12 and 1600-2400mcg of folinic acid (the only form I tolerate) daily. I also take 300-400mcg of magnesium each day. I have been taking a low-dose B-complex too, although not every day. It...
  19. LynnJ

So is this Induced/Paradoxical Folate deficiency?

I've finally been able to move up to 400mcg of folinic acid daily. Prior to that, a mere 200mcg daily of any form, whether it be folic acid, folinic, or methylfolate, would rip my stomach to shreds and cause anxiety issues. Each form affected me in the same manner. I bought a new B-complex...
  20. LynnJ

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

Hm. I'll have to do some more reading on this. If it's really supposed to be just as good as the sublingual B12, I might give it a try.
  21. LynnJ

Sudden shortness of breath- b12 malabsorption? potassium?

May I ask who this woman you spoke to is? I'm trying to find more information on whether my iron results are normal (ferritin 51, iron 65, iron saturation 18%). Some say yes, others no. It's hard to know who to believe!
  22. LynnJ

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

I'm confused about these oils, though. How much are you getting per pump? For the life of me I can't seem to find that info on their website....
  23. LynnJ

Miserable from only 800mcg of folate?

Well, I've discovered that folic acid causes the same side effects as folate for me... Any significance to that? Does that mean my body is converting it properly? Just as an experiment I've been taking 400mcg of folic acid the past few days. Upped it to 800 and by the second day had bad stomach...
  24. LynnJ

B2 I love you!

I understand that B2 may be needed, but my theory comment was specifically in regards to manganese being helpful for those who get bad side effects from B2. B2 seems to make my knees ache and pop a lot more, and within a few weeks of taking a B-complex for the first time, I developed eye...
  25. LynnJ

B2 I love you!

Hm. So it's just a theory from people posting here? I'm so wary of starting B2 again. I don't want it to wreak more havoc on my eyes and joints.
  26. LynnJ

It sounds like your issues were due to not having enough folate. But my issues are caused BY supplementing with folate. I'm starting to think I should try folinic acid instead. I haven't had any testing done. It's just so pricy, so for now I'm just going off my reactions/side effects.
  27. LynnJ

B2 I love you!

Is there a known reason why manganese would prevent issues while taking b2?
  28. LynnJ

B2 I love you!

I wish I could love B2. I find the joint pain in my knees and eye floaters get worse when I supplement with it. I actually developed floaters for the first time ever shortly after starting a B-Complex. Odd. :( I'll maybe keep trying from time to time, but it doesn't seem to love ME either...
  29. LynnJ

Oh wow! I have little Doctor's Best capsules...I suppose I could just open one up and pour a tiny bit into a glass of water. How much B12 were you taking with your initial miniscule amount of folate?
  30. LynnJ

Well, I took 200mcg of Quatrefolic last night, along with an Enzymatic Therapy B12. No stomach upset or anxiety this morning, just a heart that's pounding away and shortness of breath that makes me keep yawning/sighing. However, I've been experiencing shortness of breath since the beginning of...