• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

Active B12 Protocol Basics

@ahmo I tend to get a mild histamine reaction when I take my 5mg of CL mb12. What does this signify? Do i do nothing or does it indcate i should adjust something? Do I need to increase the Methylfolate? I currently take 4 mg 2 times a day. I probably should divide the doses more, but I find it...
  2. M

Moshi, have you tried taking just mb12 and no adb12 for a few days? I have figured out it is the adb12 that makes me feel spaced out. Maybe it is healing, but I'm taking a break from it. I also upped my zinc and it seems to be helping my skin issues.
  3. M

High Dosage methylfolate users

Thanks for this. What is the dosage of your zinc? I have been taking 30 mg of zinc (hvp chelate) once a day, but I will try increasing.
  4. M

P.s. I've been having trouble locating a low folate food list. Any suggestions?
  5. M

How much is too much? Anyone know the symptoms of too much folate? My acne is out of control today, but I've consistently been taking 20 mg of MTHF to 5-10 mg mb12, and taking 10 mg adb12 every few days (I was taking it every day but learned it was unnecessary). I'm starting to cut back on...
  6. M

Wow, my diet doesn't seem so restricted in comparison. I had buckwheat porridge for the first time this morning....a nice change from my usual yogurt, berries and seeds with coconut. So far so good. Good tip re the freezng.
  7. M

Can you tell me a bit more about what you eat, I.e. typical breakfast, lunch, dinner? I'd be willing to give it a trial to see how I feel. I never thought I could manage GAPS but I love it now; really helps my digestion. I thought lettuce was a no no because of folate?
  8. M

I've been wondering about histamine for some time....a dietician raised it as a possibility about a year ago, but I am already on a pretty restrictive diet with GAPS so didn't want to go there. I'm starting to think after reading more tonight (thanks for the links @ahmo) that I need to give a...
  9. M

Thanks for your reply. I do mean mg. I thought Freddd suggested recently to try a 1:1 ratio of mg to adb12? I will try cutting back on adb12. What effect should that have? I will try to cut back on the veggies, slowly....which ones are the worst offenders in your experience? Are orange veg...
  10. M

Afternoon dose of what? I'm finding this thread very interesting as I'm trying to figure out the right amounts of folate to mb12, etc. I find it hard to a) take the same amounts consistently every day and b) remember how much I'm taking! Roughly I'm at 5-10 mg of mb12 and 10 mg adb12 with 15-20...
  11. M

Freddd's B12 Protocol and Skin Problems

Great discussion! It is very difficult to figure out what works for each of us, as there are so many causes and variables involved, but I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences and advice. I seem to do better on the higher does of folate, and I think my initial attempts at...
  12. M

@whodathunkit thanks so much for your thoughts on this. I think it maybe was the lack of veggies in Cuba that helped. I love greens so much! Would folinic acid show up as high folate in my blood, explaining why I need to supplement folate even though my level is high? Interesting about the b...
  13. M

High RBC folate, low B12

I just had a blood test with very high folate (more than 3000), but I have even supplementing with 20 mg or more of MTHF a day. One of the most prominent symptoms I have that made me this I was deficient in folate is peeling skin around my nose and fingernails, the peeling around the nose i...
  14. M

Blood test and vitamin status

I just had some blood work done and my doctor, of course, wants me to cut back on b12 and folate supps. B12 was 1475 Folate more than 3000 I'm assuming this is to be expected and I should continue the protocol? Also, my phosphorous was a bit high so she's retesting it and checking...
  15. M

Does that mean I should cut back on the folate? I really have no idea how much I need, it is all guess wrk at this point. How much do you take? Not actually diagnosed with CFS but I'm sure that is what I have, although the diagnosis was fibromyalgia. Maybe I have both. Anyway fatigue is my...
  16. M

Thinking about what was different when I was in Cuba....I took my pills more reliably than some times in my normal life when I forget. So I was closer to 30 mg of folate consistently then. Maybe that is what I need. I also ate way less green vegetables than normal, because of availability...
  17. M

I am taking the advanced b complex but the doses are for three pills, and I'm just taking one. From the label, dividing by three, I'm taking B1 33 mg B2 2.5 mg B3 118 mg B5 100 mg B6 33 mg Mb12 333 mcg MTHF 333 mcg Biotin 200 mg Inositol 131 mg I wouldn't mind tring a different b complex -...
  18. M

I don't use any of those sources of folic acid. The b complex I take is by AOR and I think it has the right forms - is it okay that the Calcium L-5 MTHf is called folic acid? I'm assuming it is actually folate. I take a lot of potassium - between 2 and 3 g. I do sometimes have low symptoms so...
  19. M

I use Thorne research 5-MTHF and I'm taking currently about 20 of them a day (1000 mcg capsules). Sometimes I take less if I miss a dose, and for a while I was taking more like 25-30 a day but thought I'd try cutting back. I take 10 mg each of mb and ad b12, country life and anabol naturals...
  20. M

I'm posting a new thread as I'm not sure what this question falls under, but does anyone else have very dry peeling skin as a side effect on Freddd's B12 protocol? I don't know if it means I should up the methylfolate or potassium or take more B12 or something else. I also have a lot more acne...
  21. M

B12 causing numbness?

On the actual label it says Folic acid (calcium L-5 MTHF) So I assumed it was ok. Confusing though.
  22. M

B12 causing numbness?

Just to confirm, is folic acid that is (L-5 MTHF) okay, I.e actually methylfolate? I find the terminology confusing on the different brands. I'm using Thorne research 5-MTHf (1000 mcg) and AOR b complex which has "folic acid" but the MTHF kind so I'm hoping it is the right kind.
  23. M

Do you mean total b12 or just mb12? I'm taking 10 mg adb12 and 5-10 mb12. I have been taking more like 30 mg of folate. Should I cut back? What symptoms would indicate I should go higher or lower? Also, I thought it was recommended to take the folate before the b12? Does it vary from person to...
  24. M

How to untrap a methyl trap

Thank you!! I don't eat any grains or processed food of any kind so I should have no trouble avoiding these things. Thanks again.
  25. M

I'm using Solgar 800 mcg, so yes I'm swallowing a lot of pills. The potassium is potassium citrate, and in lower doses never bothered my stomach but I do feel a bit of burn now so I try to take it with food. I will try to find the other kind this week. What do you recommend? Have you found a 5...
  26. M

I've noticed an improvement with the higher doses of folate and potassium. I've been taking 3200 mcg of folate first thing in the morning, followed an hour later by 5 mg mb12 and 10 mg of adb12. I notice an intense buzzy headache as soon as the b12s start dissolving. Any ideas what this means...
  27. M

@Martial Interesting. Not looking forward to the complete remission part, but I'm willing to try anything and this still sounds hopeful. I've already radically altered my diet and lifestyle but it isn't enough. Do most people have to keep up with the high doses forever, then, or does it...
  28. M

Thanks very much for the advice! Should I take the l carnitine right away? I thought Freddd recommended waiting until the folate and potassium were stabilized? Do you think I need to titrate up to those doses of b12 or just jump right to the higher doses? I'm feeling excited today just making...
  29. M

Actually, come to think of it, I have had most of the group 3 symptoms since the onset of my "fibromyalgia/CFS", which started about one month after I started supplementing with b12 (not sure which kind, it was over 2 years ago), after being found to be very deficient (serum level of around 70 I...
  30. M

@Freddd, I'm noticing a runny nose every morning as I have the b12s under my lip. Reading your symptom list above, I see runny nose can indicate folate insufficiency/deficiency. I'm taking 5mg of b12s each at a time, with 800 mcg of metafolin an hour before. When should I start upping the...