• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. H

Severe Muscle Fatigue After Moving House. Is There a Way Back?

I have the exact same muscle issues. Having been recently diagnosed finally with POTS, I have started wearing some old compression socks I had left over from an operation which I pull up to my thighs. I don't know about the POTS but but it has helped my muscle pain. Before putting them on...
  2. H

CFS Unit at Kings College Hospital (UK)

Indeed @slysaint. I've been offered it for other unrelated complaints. The other one of course is Mindfulness which in my view can be helpful. ...at least it passes the time during the long, boring rests...
  3. H

CFS Unit at Kings College Hospital (UK)

I was a member if the group in question and also had CBT at the CFS unit at Kings. Both about 10 years ago. ... The group was mainly practical, social and really supportive. They gave good advice about things like benefits etc. I only went one meeting though and there was a wide spectrum of...
  4. H

Cardiologist and Beta Blockers

Thanks for advice everyone. ....This POTS world is new to me. Unexpected after ten years of being ill..didn't think it was part of my particular ME. Have now got to address the weird neuropathies I have. All part of the malfunctioning ANS I suppose.....
  5. H

Sorry @ryan31337....I see you've already seen Dr Gall. Have you had your Tilt Table yet?
  6. H

Thanks @ryan31337. They didn't take blood. BP and HR were measured supine then, as I was raised there was the surge in HR and BP. He said adrenalin surged as well. ? I was then given the Niyroglycerin to provoke symptoms. I was told Hyperadrenergic POTS. Certainly my BP didn't go down much...
  7. H

I was diagnosed yesterday after a Tilt Table Test at St Thomas Hospital in London.....With Hyperadrenergic POTS The cardiologists there have been suggesting Ivabradine. Apparently it deals with the higher heart rate but doesn't lower it too much as a normal beta blocker would....
  8. H

EU Referendum: what it means for ME (+ a poll)

I second that....Impressive!
  9. H

Endoscopy without Sedative (edit: without throat spray, too) & Endoscopy Sedatives without Amnesia?

I had an endoscopy without sedation a couple of years ago.....but did have the throat spray. Was given the option but no one seemed to question my desicion or dissuade me Not pleasant but doesn't hurt and felt very quick even though biopsies taken. Strange sensation in the stomach as the tube...
  10. H

Endoscopy without Sedative (edit: without throat spray, too) & Endoscopy Sedatives without Amnesia?

I had an endoscopy without sedation a couple of years ago.....but did have the throat spray. Was given the option but no one seemed to question my desicion or dissuade me. Not pleasant but doesn't hurt and felt very quick even though biopsies taken. Strange sensation in the stomach as the tube...
  11. H

Anyone had experience being treated at King's College London?

When I had CBT at the King's, the counsellor taped the sessions for their records. I wish I had got my own recording. That would have been very useful! You probably won't get Dr Calder herself but I was given her book....and they all follow much the same script.
  12. H

I think you have to try not to worry about what other people about this illness. They will NEVER understand. Nor will they understand how mentally strong we HAVE to become.
  13. H

Hello PandaDarling...I was treated there a few years ago. They will focus a lot on your BPD I suspect, and you will be 'helped' to come to the conclusion that your anxiety is a causative factor. You will focus on unhelpful beliefs and behaviors that they feel are perpetuating your...
  14. H

Anyone had experience with the optimum health clinic UK?

I went to see them about seven years ago. ...and my advice would be No.....although the nutritional advice was quite good The 'psychology' side is a mixture of NLP, CBT and EFT (which is where you tap your head in various places whilst repeating a phrase) I found the EFT strangely pleasant...
  15. H

HAS ANYONE ONE SEEN /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Not Just Tired All The Time! - Dr Alistair Miller ON

'Fudging' is a hallmark of the BPS argument....which is ironic as anyone who's been through their CBT knows that you are asked to constantly clarify your beliefs until you don't believe them.
  16. H

Simon Wessely in New Scientist

Hell Hath no Fury, I agree (with your point about the deconditioning)....I had about three days off with the Glandular Fever....certainly not enough time to decondition. Absurd!
  17. H

Strangely, Alex, I often find myself doing CBT on the CBT .....It helps with the unhelpful feelings of anger....
  18. H

Alex, To answer your question.... When I had the CBT, ( it was 2009 not 2007 ) I was newly diagnosed...naive and desparate. I remember crying through most of it so its all a bit of a blur. I would, of course, have done or said anything to get better. I will say that the counsellor was kind...
  19. H

I am wondering whether anyone on PR has ever had CBT at the Kings Collage Hospital Chronic Fatigue Unit (where S. Wessley is the Consultant Psychiatrist) and has kept any of the countless 'questionaires' that were used to assess our progress. I had CBT there in 2007 and remember having to rate...