• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Never get colds or flus anymore? Here's one theory as to why....

The older, longer thread on this topic is here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sick-but-never-sick.39474/
  2. S

Does anyone here smoke?

@TigerLilea Have you read anything about acetylcholine? Even non-drowsy antihistamine products (if have the word "antihistamine" on the label") usually lower acetylcholine, and in some people, this deficiency in acetylcholine can be a reason they lose energy. Sorry I'm not more eloquent...
  3. S

Doctor Claims Leaky Gut is "Easy" To Fix

From the comment "If leaky gut was real, it would kill you." Leaky gut is Intestinal Permeability.
  4. S

Clenching mouth while sleeping

I bought these over the counter (avail at most US drugstores, and on Amazon); work very well and very comfortable, and no huge fee for "custom made" by dentist. I Wish I would have known about these years ago: Plackers "Grind no more" mouth guards They come in a package of 14 of them stating...
  5. S

@jack blogs Intestinal Permeability is fully accepted by scientists, per many published actual studies. It isn't even debated in science, it's accepted. Your doctor may not be interested in real science. Three of thousands of examples of Intestinal Permeability from Pub Med...
  6. S

Iodine supplementation

@Jigsaw I don't have any knowledgable doctors here where I live for me to do any testing of adrenals. My symptom lists closely fit adrenal symptoms lists, and I've long suspected it.
  7. S

Iodine supplementation

Only if you listen to the "FDA" in the U.S. In Japan, government/medical industry has 3,000 mcg as the upper range.
  8. S

Your doctor doesn't "believe in" something that has published scientific clinical reviews? And is discussed in Pub Med by M.D.s, without any doubt of its existance? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856434/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4253991/...
  9. S

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Well, fructose and levulose may be exactly the same molecule, just two different names. Three websites that state that fructose and levulose are synonyms for the same molecule: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/levulose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose...
  10. S

High dose magnesium CAUSING migraine/headaches

Yes. I have experienced all of the problems people mentioned in this thread from magnesium. I despise magnesium (although I don't recommend other people get as angry about it as I have!) It has caused me problems for so many years, yet uneducated health practitioners parrot their awful...
  11. S

How America's Diet has changed since 1970

@ebethc the linked chart states: people eat more grains and oils today (2010) than they did in 1970.
  12. S

I'm SICK of this. No gut motility, and misinformation on acetylcholine

Per Wikipedia: "cholinesterase" breaks up (destroys) acetylcholine by turning acetylcholine into acetic acid and choline. And: "cholinesterase inhibitors" prevent cholinesterase from breaking up (destroying) acetylcholine. Nightshade foods are "cholinesterase inhibitors". Therefore, eating...
  13. S

Bacteriophage therapy (phage therapy) for gut infections / dysbiosis — just $30 instead of $1200

Every non-prescription product that I've found online that lists its phage content by name and letter/number (see below) has the same 4 phages. This makes me think this group of 4 phages is being made by one ingredient supplier who then sells it to the supplement manufacturers. It's a shame...
  14. S

Bacteriophage therapy (phage therapy) for gut infections / dysbiosis — just $30 instead of $1200

Some new sources of phages are on the market, at reasonable prices at sites like Amazon or Iherb. Since they are over the counter supplements, they aren't custom-created for any one person. But the labels do list the phages they contain. Just the fact that they are being sold, for reasonable...
  15. S

My teeth are a mess

@prioris Where are you getting your MI paste? I have one tube of it that I've been using very sparingly for a couple of years to make it last (so, only using it once every few weeks), because I don't know of a source to buy another one. The one I have I got through a dentist, but I don't...
  16. S

Low Levels of Vitamin A Cause Lowered ATP in Mitoichondria

Beta carotene is not a reliable source of actual vitamin A for many people: the conversion of beta carotene to real vitamin A in your liver can be deficient for a number of reasons. Plant source "vitamin A" isn't actually vitamin A in the bottle unless the label says something OTHER THAN "beta...
  17. S

Whey protein powder to address ME/CFS metabolic issues being identified by researchers - which one?

Just that soy is one of the strongest goitrogens (bad for the thyroid), and best not eaten in excess. http://paleoleap.com/goitrogens-and-iodine/
  18. S

Stretchy skin

Thanks Thinktank!
  19. S

Stretchy skin

@Crux Can you post a link to the Dr. Pickart site you mentioned? I tried an online search but no luck. Many thanks!
  20. S

There may be something to Vitamin C

@alicec I think that site said that liposomal C is NOT a problem, and that ordinary ascorbic acid can be a problem if it is not in liposomal form.
  21. S

There may be something to Vitamin C

That link mentions the idea that the liposomal form of vitamin c might not cause the oxalate problem. Interesting.
  22. S

Serotonin and/or Acetylcholine and gut motility

Constipation-type IBS as a lack of gut motility is a problem for many people. This is the type that is lack of gut motility (not necessarily hard stools). It is not solved by more fiber, whether soluble or insoluble. Acetylcholine as a possiblity: I have this type of IBS, yet a few times...
  23. S

Hope you don't mind, Sherda, I'm posting some of your recent post from the other forum here, for the edification of our wonderful readers! "I don't know how I've been reading about GI motility for months and haven't seen this sooner.... .....All of the symptoms above just disappeared...
  24. S

@SherDa Your recent post on another forum about serotonin and gut motility was really interesting. I wondered if other people would be interested in discussing this, so here's a new thread specifically about: Serotonin and/or acetylcholine and their effects on gut motility Some of us have...
  25. S

Bad reaction to Apple Cider Vinegar -- histamine or die-off?

Vinegar is acetic acid; acetic acid is one of what makes acetylcholine in the body. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcholine Acetylcholine info could fill a book. Your body needs it, but too much too fast can cause issues.
  26. S

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

@outdamnspot I've seen on numerous blogs that a transition from low-carb ketogenic back to eating carbs (even slow carbs and resistant starch) should be done quite slowly, otherwise the body can't handle the blood sugar changes and the change in gut microbiome too quickly. I don't have links...
  27. S

Poll: Do you have an exaggerated startle reflex or response?

@SGR There are certain foods that are high in histamine, like aged, fermented, and smoked foods: many cheeses, salami, sauerkraut, red wine, for example. They give me a little burst of energy (I don't have CFS/ME) but also seem to make me more jumpy to little surprises, and make me urinate more...
  28. S

Poll: Do you have an exaggerated startle reflex or response?

@Gingergrrl @liverock @SGR Histamine connection to bladder issues/interstitial cystitis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2750582 A pretty interesting discussion is here on low histamine diets helping some but failing to help others, and quercetin as a natural antihistamine helping some...
  29. S

Culturing Bifidobacterium Bifidum

From my past experience culturing milk with various probiotics, the bifido-only cultures didn't taste like normal yogurt, (whereas my cultures that had at least some lactobacilli, not just bifidos, did taste like yogurt). I think I'd read somewhere that bifidos never taste like ordinary yogurt...