• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. N

Audio recording your consultation with NHS doctors

Remember Dr Arun Kumar Singhal? The one who was caught, in a recording, telling a patient she could jolly well go and kill herself? (see Golden's post in this thread of 17 Sept 014) ...but who didn't bother to turn up to the fitness to practise hearing, and was still suspended for a mere 3...
  2. N

I think I was compiling my response as you were posting your further comment, Esther. In any event thanks for the interest. Any comment to CQC from the patients' side would help.
  3. N

Thank you, Esther. Here goes:- Extract from DRAFT CQC Board papers 19 11 2014:- " Contractual and legal issues 4.6.When deciding whether to use a camera or any sort of recording device in a care setting you should consider the policies that the provider may have in place. These may limit...
  4. N

I wonder if I may seek to enlist some aid here. The Care Quality Commission has spent a year failing to produce 'guidance' on what the US calls 'granny cams' i.e. surveillance cameras installed usually by the relatives of the vulnerable elderly in care homes and the like. And now, in fact...
  5. N

The full case report on Singhal was not published online until today. I think the MPTS leaned over backwards to provide excuses for a doctor who couldn't even be bothered to turn up to the hearing, and to minimise any adverse consequences for him. As regards the evidence against him the...
  6. N

And the verdict last Thursday was: 'MPTS panel chair Eileen Carr said while Dr Singhal's medical treatment of Patient A had not been called into question his comments to a patient with a history of mental health concerns were "totally unacceptable and inappropriate". She said: "The panel finds...
  7. N

For anyone here still keeping an eye on this subject, there was a World Service 'Health Check' broadcast about it a few days ago, which you can access here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020r2y5 I now understand the topic is also likely to be covered in an edition of Radio 4's programme...
  8. N

Hello again. That 'patientgate' article by Prof. Elwyn may disappear behind the BMJ's usual paywall shortly, so, just in case, here's a further route to it that doesn't involve tangling with the, now voluminous, thread I started a few years ago at CAG:-...
  9. N

Although there is some overlap between this link and previous ones posted here, it is well worth persevering with it in my opinion:- http://helphealthcare.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/too-expert-to-ask-why-we-distrust-medical-professionals/ Above all there is the podcast link to a CBC discussion...
  10. N

It has been kindly suggested to me that people might find more links on this subject helpful. Truly, I am spoilt for choice, but here's a selection from the past 18 months or so:- Summary from a Scottish medical defence union. Legally, it's nearly accurate...
  11. N

Many thanks to golden for the write-up of the thread I started a few years ago and still kindly hosted by CAG (a UK, very large, 'non-profit' website covering a wide range of "consumer" issues). I think it would be tremendously useful if the initial interest in the topic shown here was taken...