• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. PeterPositive

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

Corn and gluten were pretty bad for me too. Problem is when I started going gluten free I increased the corn as an alternative to wheat, as I was unaware of the problem with it. In the next months instead of getting better I got worse until I finally noticed too many "coincidences" between...
  2. PeterPositive

Anyone feel a little better at night?

Exactly. In fact if I break the sleep cycle by going to bed very late (e.g. after 3:00am) then the "reset" doesn't happen, or it does only partially. I usually wake up tired but not with the kind of malaise and weakness I get in the morning. Goes without saying that if I do that more than once...
  3. PeterPositive

Anyone feel a little better at night?

Yes indeed. After 9pm especially. It seems like my adrenals wake up at 7-8pm. Best booster ever is a having the flu (without high fever) after 9pm. I can almost feel semi-normal with that combo.
  4. PeterPositive

Methylfolate Lowering Blood Pressure

What is your BP when you're not taking folate and how higher does it go when you take it?
  5. PeterPositive

If you don't tolerate oral Magnesium, you might try this...

Yes. The taste is not bad and the only sugar used is xylitol which isn't bad either.
  6. PeterPositive

Tryptophan

Well, tryptophan is almost everywhere in the diet: fish, cheese, eggs, chocolate, soy etc... Maybe the problem could arise if you take too much, why not starting with a low dose and see how it goes? After all we're all very different and it's pretty difficult to give you a yes/no answer...
  7. PeterPositive

Do MTHF-supps penetrate into cells and mitochondria?

Yes, not all folate found in foods (mostly leafy green veggies) is in the active form (5-MTHF) and it must be converted by specific enzymes. This should help: https://mindwhale.com/food-sources-of-l-methylfolate/
  8. PeterPositive

Do MTHF-supps penetrate into cells and mitochondria?

Well, yes the folate cycle occurs in the cell so folate must get into the cell for that to occur. Several years ago I did a methylation panel and it came back with the amount of folate in red blood cells, which is more significant than serum folate. In fact serum folate was ok-ish, while RBC...
  9. PeterPositive

New to Methylation

If you have taken it once, no.
  10. PeterPositive

New to Methylation

Typically homocysteine level and MMA (methylmalonic acid) The former can be enough to give you an idea of how the B12 metabolism is working, although there are other factors that can influence methylation and thus homocysteine values. If you want to be more thorough you should probably do both...
  11. PeterPositive

New to Methylation

Interesting summary, thanks for posting. I was going to test a bit of Taurine sooner or later because of the known relaxing/calming effects. If it also helps digestion I might as well catch two birds with a stone :) Talking about animals... That's in hamsters, but I am no rodent. :D Is there...
  12. PeterPositive

New to Methylation

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Finding an answer to your disability from a miniscule snapshot of your genes is very unlikely. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but at the same time it's best not to get too caught in the "methylation fad". Not that the methylation issues aren't real or sources of...
  13. PeterPositive

anyone else here do regular/daily glutathione injections?

Well, besides less inflammation not much. But less inflammation for me improves digestion, pain and ultimately gives back a bit of energy and mental focus. Less discomfort is always welcome :)
  14. PeterPositive

I use Jarrow's Reduced Glutathione, 500mg. Unfortunately it's far from cheap :( especially at 2-3 capsules/day (typically I take 2), but it works and if I suspend it I get noticeably worse after 7-10 days. It didn't ring a bell so I looked it up and found this product...
  15. PeterPositive

Hi, I don't do injections. just take oral GSH around 1000-1500mg/day and it works as anti-inflammatory as well. Contrary to what most doctors say, i.e. oral GSH is ineffective due to breaking down in it's basic aminoacids, I find consistent relief by taking it. Can't say the same for the...
  16. PeterPositive

Methylfolate + folinic = more beneficial?

In my case, no. It's just too much methylfolate :) I guess there's a "safe" dose for everyone after which one starts having side effects. I have tried pushing all of the other vitamins in the B complex to see what differences they could make and there's not much of a difference from a certain...
  17. PeterPositive

I know the feeling. :rolleyes: Folate can cause lots of anxiety/nervousness especially for those sensitive to it, and I am one of them. I find folinic and methylfolate different too. While I can take up to 3-4mg of the latter with no ill effects but I get jittery with just 800mcg of folinic. Go...
  18. PeterPositive

Well, both folinic acid and methyfolate are active in the brain, helping the production of dopamine and serotonin so... I guess that's part of the "feeling great" :) And of course it's temporary so it wears off after a while. Similarly I take two doses of methylfolate a day and some extra...
  19. PeterPositive

Vitamin D sensitivity

Yeah, that's the problem with supplements, you can overdose. And vitamin D accumulates, it's not water soluble as the Bs and Vit C. As @aaron_c suggested using an UVB lamp can help you with a vit D deficiency without the risk of overdose, and if you take a bit of sun, even better! 20-30 minutes...
  20. PeterPositive

May/June magic... how does it work?

I hear you. :rolleyes: Problem is those WTF moments are likely due to staring at the "wrong" variables. Maybe neither stress nor molds have such impact on your husband's issues. I also thought stress and diet would play an important role in my issues and ... they didn't so much! Certainly not as...
  21. PeterPositive

Vitamin D sensitivity

You mean over the course of 5 weeks? What was your daily dosage?
  22. PeterPositive

Yes indeed.
  23. PeterPositive

My first symptoms go back to middle of March 1990
  24. PeterPositive

Exactly. My threshold is very similar .. around 10-15°C
  25. PeterPositive

Weirdly enough I sleep less, as I wake up approximately 1 hour earlier, compare to winter time. In terms of quality of sleep I can't see any changes. My sleep quality always fluctuates during the course of the year. Though if I sleep less in May/June I feel less the consequnces. During winter...
  26. PeterPositive

Thanks, I'll take a look. The changes in hormones sound like a good fit. An increase in anti-inflammatory hormones could very well be the explanation since I definitely experience an improvement of inflammation. This in turn is likely to relieve a bit of the digestive and cognitive issues...
  27. PeterPositive

I don't use AC, and it's unlikely there's any mold. The house is pretty much new. We moved here when it was built, been here for 6-7 years, no traces of any mold that I can see. Also this is has been consistent in every place I've lived... so... Eh... I've thought of that. Comedy cheers me up...
  28. PeterPositive

Hmm... I know nothing about this. Do you have any links?