• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Rich D

Epstein-Barr virus reactivation is not causative for post-COVID-19-syndrome in individuals with asymptomatic or mild SARS-CoV-2 disease course

I know I'm only one person, but oddly, I have no EBV antibodies. I've never had it, it can't have reactivated (though I do have HHV6 antibodies). And I have a classic case of ME/CFS in terms of onset, presentation and progression (to the extent that there is such a thing). For this reason, I...
  2. Rich D

safe and sound protocol

It is important to do it under the supervision of a therapist. I don't see how it could mess you up, but maybe it isn't for everyone. Like I said, I had to be very careful and do short intervals. You can't push it.
  3. Rich D

safe and sound protocol

I have done the SSP with my therapist. I am in therapy for childhood trauma, and I have a lot of PTSD, and supposedly it can help with that. It also may help with sound sensitivity, which I have. I could only listen for 5 minute intervals. I'd say it didn't help much with sound sensitivity, or...
  4. Rich D

Doctors In The US Doing IVIG

You could try getting treatment at the online RTHM clinic, if you are in a state they cover. They are expensive and don't take insurance, but I use them, and my doctor there is willing to prescribe SCIg.
  5. Rich D

Several long COVID patients report improvements within days from antihistamines

I think antihistamines are most useful if you have MCAS, which many of us have. And some work better than others depending on the person. I saw significant (though not huge) improvement with Singulair (Monteleukast) within a week, but no effect from Pepsid or Zyrtec.
  6. Rich D

Fragmented sleep - too many dreams, not enough deep

High THC indica marijuana works well much of the time for me. Though I still have quite fragmented sleep and racing thoughts and dreams. I’m about to try Guanfacine, you might look into that.
  7. Rich D

If money was no object, which doctor/clinic would you see?

Sure, I will once I have some energy. I’ll start a thread about it. For now, I can say if you have money but no options, I would strongly recommend it. You have to be in certain states, listed on their website. So that’s a constraint. It’s like getting an me CFS doctor to treat you. They have...
  8. Rich D

If money was no object, which doctor/clinic would you see?

I just started at the RTHM online telehealth clinic. They specifically treat CFS and Long Covid. Very expensive but they are the real deal. https://rthm.com/
  9. Rich D

Federal Reserve Blog Post on Long Covid and ME/CFS

Yeah, I totally get it. I feel lucky that I have a research job that I can do remotely. Many are not so lucky.
  10. Rich D

You got it exactly! This was my thinking.
  11. Rich D

I’m an economist with the Federal Reserve, and I have ME/CFS. I put out a blog post today Long COVID Appears to Have Led to a Surge of the Disabled in the Workplace - Liberty Street Economics (newyorkfed.org) mostly about long Covid, and I tied it to ME/CFS as best I could. I write about how...
  12. Rich D

Unbearable restlessness and burning of nerves

I have something very similar happen to me for periods of time. I believe it is cortisol. It feels literally like coffee has been dumped into my system. I have been driven to the treadmill at 3 AM. I have not found any solution, I just try to ride it out until it passes.
  13. Rich D

Long covid improves after vaccine

I found this interesting because they propose two alternative theories based on these anecdotes. If Long Covid is a latent virus, the vaccine should result in long term improvement. If Long Covid is an autoimmune response, then the vaccine will result in only short term improvement. These...
  14. Rich D

what do you take for sleep

Cannabis. Works very well for me most of the time. High THC rather than high CBD.
  15. Rich D

Has CFS really been a form of Long Covid all along?

I was really just raising a possibility here. Not trying to take a position. It just seems so similar to what happened to a lot of us, I think it is worth considering.
  16. Rich D

Has CFS really been a form of Long Covid all along?

Has anyone made a direct link? Have we all caught a coronavirus of some sort in the past and got a version of long Covid? many of us think our CFS started when we got a virus, but others think they did not have a virus first. Were those people just asymptomatic? Wouldn’t this theory also explain...
  17. Rich D

Something to Ponder

Given that you mentioned trauma, I have seen some amazing improvement after dealing with childhood trauma. Have you heard of Gabor Mate? He talks about this connection. Here is a video if you are interested:
  18. Rich D

Noise cancelling headphones - great for those with a sound sensitivity; horrible for those with a significant other. ;)

I'd like to know whether it is worth spending $300+ for the noise cancelling effect, since I don't want to use them to listen to music because of my sound sensitivity. Has anyone compared the more expensive models to cheaper ones that are under $100 in terms of how quiet they make things?
  19. Rich D

Alternative to peanut butter?

Glad you like it! Wish I could get a cat again, but my wife is allergic.
  20. Rich D

Alternative to peanut butter?

Tahini is a great peanut butter substitute, and is made from a seed rather than a nut or legume. Black tahini, while bitter, tastes more like peanut butter when used as an ingredient in smoothies and recipes.
  21. Rich D

How to Stop taking Ambien

I think it depends on the person and what you have access to. I would suggest trying a low dose product with high CBD first, if you can get it. Like a tincture. Otherwise you can try to just take a couple hits of weed and see if it helps. Start low and go from there. That should give you an idea...
  22. Rich D

How to Stop taking Ambien

I went through this myself a few years ago. I had been taking a large dose of the slow release form for 2 years, so I was very hooked on it. I decided to quit and steadied myself for the withdrawal. I worked from home for 2 weeks and decided i was just going to be getting terrible sleep until I...
  23. Rich D

High THC Cannabis - Sleep inducer and MCS Buster (!)

I have found similar results in terms of helping with sleep. In fact, I recently gained access to medical M and tried a high CBD product. It was nowhere near as effective as the high THC product I had been using. I make my own infused oil.
  24. Rich D

Surprising (Scary!) results from new gut pathogens GI test

I am seeing a doctor in Ithaca, NY named Richard Cohen. He is an MD, but practices as a chiropractor. He sees a lot of patients from all over.
  25. Rich D

Thanks for your comments! So I’m curious - what did your tests uncover?
  26. Rich D

It is called Tanalbit. You can find it on Amazon. I took 3 capsules twice per day between meals.
  27. Rich D

I’ve been seeing a doctor who practices alternative medicine, and he had me take a test called GI-Map. It’s only been around for a couple of years now. It uses DNA maps to test your poop for a number of pathogens – including bacteria, parasites, fungi/yeast, and a few viruses. It does not...
  28. Rich D

Best Biofilm Busters?

I took a test called GI-Map which uses DNA testing to identify pathogens, including candida, malignant bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Much more reliable than ordinary tests since it is mapping DNA.
  29. Rich D

Best Biofilm Busters?

I am seeing a doctor now who is attacking this very problem for me. For the candida, he had me take a product called Tanalbit, 3 pills 2x per day between meals. I did this for a couple of months and I noticed a huge difference. After completing that, he had me take a product called Para1 from a...