• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. boo85

Burning and tingling, numbness starting after 6 weeks of B12 therapy

@Freddd @Sushi @ahmo @caledonia Hi there, Not sure if anyone remembers me but I've had bad low B12 symptoms and problems for the past 2.5 years. I started 1mg (1000mcg) of daily hydroxoB12 injections on the 9th May 2015 and haven't missed a day since. It hasn't been 2 months yet...
  2. boo85

K, Mg and Ca all dramatically increase appetite???

It could be that your body is trying to get all the calories and nutrients it needs in order to heal. Maybe you are craving a certain vitamin or mineral that your body needs to heal, so your appetite increases. Are you having any cravings for particular foods or is it just every type of food...
  3. boo85

Exercising with ME/CFS

You are better off eating healthily and aiming on getting well, rather than exercising. You need to control your weight with diet, and use your energy to get better. I know I have to conserve my energy for when I really need it, so I don't "work out."
  4. boo85

Severely low bp - nac, glutathione

@LivingwithFibro grapefruit seed extract is apparently a very strong natural antibiotic and antifungal, so that could explain the reaction? If you ever take something new, always divide the tablet in 1/2 or even 1/4 so that if you have a reaction, the reaction will only be 1/2 or 1/4 for...
  5. boo85

A cry out for help...

@LivingwithFibro basically when you take B12, especially when you're deficient, the B12 wants to heal your neuropathy and create new cells, but to do that, it needs other vitamins, such as folate (methylfolate is the best option), iron, potassium, magnesium. If you don't end up needing B12 or...
  6. boo85

Mood swings

Are mood swings usual on supplementation therapy? I'm supplementing with little amounts of B12 and MF (125mcg and 50mcg per day respectively.) It's really strange because one minute I will feel so sad or anxious then the next minute feel fine, happy even. Is this a normal part of healing? Why...
  7. boo85

Strong Mental Reaction to B Vitamins. What would that be?

@cobain_justinsane Have you ever thought of starting really low with B12 and methylfolate and working your way up eventually? For example, for me, any dose more than 50mcg MF and 125mcg B12 is way too overstimulating. So those are the doses that I stay at for now. It's a balance between...
  8. boo85

Methylfolate to Methylcobalamin ratio?

The answer is different for everyone, but I think I read that a general rule of thumb is for 1/2 as much MF as B12. So my dose right now is (very tiny amounts, I know): 50mcg methylfolate 125mcg B12 Of course you would adjust that to whatever dose you are taking. If someone here thinks this...
  9. boo85

Well, to give you an idea, when I first started B12, I took it on its own on a whim after finding an obscure post that B12 cures arm pains/repetitive stress injury, not knowing I actually had some sort of B12 deficiency. The first 3 days I took 250mcg B12, and the 4th day I took 500mcg. This set...
  10. boo85

It's hard to find a good doctor that actually -cares- for you as a person and patient... But I'm sure they are out there (they are just rare.) You might want to start keeping a log, even if you just use an old notebook, of how much vitamins you are having each day, especially of the vitamins...
  11. boo85

Nausea, tiredness, jitteryness out of nowhere?

Does anyone think that it could be me suddenly detoxing metals? Or detoxing B6? Or my adrenals?
  12. boo85

What does PEM mean? It could do... I mean, I don't exercise hard or anything. Probably just when I am doing normal day to day things such as cooking, cleaing, driving etc. But then again there have been days when I'm really busy and it the feeling hasn't washed over me at all... I thought...
  13. boo85

A cry out for help...

Thanks for your update! I'm glad you're feeling better! Bone broth is a great choice. It's very nutritious. I do wonder whether maybe you were intolerant to something you were eating before and now that you aren't eating it you are feeling better since you eliminated that food? Whatever is...
  14. boo85

@dead.money How many mcg of B12 did you end up taking? I'm not all that familiar with methylation, but crashing after making progress is quite common but it's a good sign that you felt some effect from it. Remember that take potassium every day so that your body can use the potassium and B12...
  15. boo85

Does anyone get sudden nausea, jitteryness, tiredness, tingly feelings out of nowhere? Where you suddenly need to take a nap so that those feelings go away? And then you feel a bit better after your nap? Is this "crashing"? Does this mean my body is healing?
  16. boo85

Mercury poisoning & methyl B12 sublingual

How do I use ph strips to test my electrolytes? Thank you. :)
  17. boo85

Best supps for depression other than B12, folate and magnesium?

Instead of taking fish oil, can I take spirulina instead?
  18. boo85

mgk, I'm hesitant to take fish oil because of oxidisation. I only want to eat fats that are not prone to oxidisation, and fish oil is prone. I can eat fats from other sources, but not fish oil.
  19. boo85

Best supps for depression other than B12, folate and magnesium? I also take ferritin (iron) and Vitamin D 5000 IU per day and have been taking Vitamin D for the past few months at the dose. Anything else I should be taking for depression? Thanks!
  20. boo85

Waking up in the middle of the night petrified?

@taniaaust1 Sorry to hear of what you've been going through. It's so scary, isn't it? What dose of B12 and folate are you taking right now? My guess is that for me, it's either too much B12 and folate that it overdrives my anxiety. Or it's too little B12 that it causes depression and mental...
  21. boo85

Methylation making me angry?

@minkeygirl Just keep repeating to yourself "this too shall pass" And "this is just my body's weird way of healing. This is not me, it's my body adjusting. I will take this feeling one minute at a time."
  22. boo85

I've also found that supplementing can make me moody and feel like crying one second for no reason... I would stop the B6 if I were you. How much B6 were you taking and how long for? I had B6 hidden in my magnesium, which I took faithfully for years. About 1 - 2 years after first starting the...
  23. boo85

Waking up in the middle of the night petrified?

Last night was probably one of the worst nights ever. I feel asleep at about 9:45pm and for the next hour and a half I felt the familiar cape-like tingling, delirium (I thought I must have been dragged out of my bed by someone else and put back there), headache, and absolutely fear that...
  24. boo85

Are you sure you don't want to try with only 200mcg methylfolate? Compared to the 1600 mcg of MF you're taking now, it's only a little bit and will give the B12 something to work with to heal. You're doing a good job with your potassium. I ran into big trouble by not being aware that B12 sucks...
  25. boo85

minkeygirl, I believe, maybe someone can confirm this for me, but niacin (B3) stops methylation in its tracks, so that's probably why you're feeling better. If you feel better because methylation is stopped or at least slowed down, you might want to cut your folate and B12 doses in half or...
  26. boo85

B6 VITAMIN PROBLEMS

be careful with supplementing with B6, and even P5P. I would avoid it unless you absolutely need it for healing. B6 can and does cause neuropathy that can take years to heal, if it heals at all. As little as 20mg of B6 per day can cause toxicity -...
  27. boo85

How to know whether it's low B12, too much B12 or healing?

How do you know whether the symptoms you are having is caused by too little B12 in your body? Or whether it's too much B12/methylfolate causing "all systems are go" franticness? Or even if it's overwhelming healing going on? How can you tell the difference between the 3 situations? Thank you!
  28. boo85

Instantaneous effect from Methylfolate/B12?

How much methylfolate and B12 did you start with? How much are you taking now? Thanks!
  29. boo85

Instantaneous effect from Methylfolate/B12?

Hi Critterina, Well, in 2013 I took B12 without taking ANY folate, let alone methylfolate and I had a terrible time with it. I would shake in my sleep, wake up without feeling my arms (I suspect that could have been rapid healing which caused low potassium though - weak arms is a classic low...
  30. boo85

Australian changes to B12 testing: Information

Thanks @Snow Leopard Do you know what constitutes as 'high risk' for B12, Vitamin D or Folate? Is there some criteria, or is it up to the doctor to decide whether the patient needs it? So if you are high risk, then you don't have to pay and Medicare will pay? But if you are low risk, then you...