• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Public Health Officials Sign Up in Mass to View Unrest

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Unrest is still making a big difference. In fact, in some ways it's making a bigger difference than ever.. Last month it was shown to public health officials and an all star ME/CFS panel in Berkeley.

Now 200 researchers and public health care officials have signed up to see it in Massachusetts. Ron Davis, Jen Brea and others will be there speaking. (Great to see Ron fly all the way across the country to do this...)

Just as occurred in Berkeley the conception Mass health professionals have of ME/CFS going to be transformed by this event - they will see this disease very differently afterwards - and hopefully act very differently. Who knows what could come out of it?

Thankfully the OMF is filming it. I can't wait to hear the panel discussion - and what questions from the audience show up. We'll be able to tell what "listening" or viewpoint the health professionals in Mass bring to ME/CFS by them.

Good news and interesting on all levels :)

From Rivka...

EXCITING NEWS! On Tues., March 27, I believe it will be the 1st time a U.S. State Health Department screens the film Unrest and hosts such a prestigious, high level panel of ME experts. About 200 Massachusetts researchers & healthcare professionals are pre-registered to attend. Panel includes: Open Medicine Foundation's Ron Davis; filmmaker Jennifer Brea; expert on ME in the schools and CFSAC chair Faith Newton; and Lisa Hall, a nurse with 17 years experience treating ME.

Thanks to Massachusetts CFIDS / ME & FM Association and Mass. Dept. of Public Health for co-organizing this important event! Please share! -- By the way, we have a professional filmmaker shooting the event. (He also shot the earlier event we held at the Regent Theatre in Nov. 2017.) This time, Open Medicine Foundation is helping to make this video available for all to see the event! Thanks, OMF!

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Unrest is still making a big difference. In fact, in some ways it's making a bigger difference than ever.. Last month it was shown to public health officials and an all star ME/CFS panel in Berkeley.

Now 200 researchers and public health care officials have signed up to see it in Massachusetts. Ron Davis, Jen Brea and others will be there speaking. (Great to see Ron fly all the way across the country to do this...)
This is totally great. I hope this will become a trend.:thumbsup:

SilverbladeTE

this does prove though a simple huge dislocation of thinking:

Science does NOT matter, it's what those in power, and for them what's the worst thing on Earth: what the ordinary folks believe, that really drive things.

People fool themselves otherwise, that facts, Science rules, that logic and compassion should have woken the Establishment up on this years ago
no, it never ever has...see scandal and crime after cover up and ghastly loss of life since 1900 as proof we "Modern Humans" are no different in fact, than the ancient Romans, Chinese or whoever.

it always comes down to some horrific catastrophe, some barn-storming activist, an outsider who makes great profit/noise, or, confluence of many factors at one crucial time, to allow important change to occur
see for example, way homosexuals and other groups have become less and less persecuted in the West, or many medical and scientific advances only accepted despite lots of prior evidence.

we can hope things are going through a "sea change" and Jen's work IS extremely important...but it had the right format, right front person and crucially, right time, audience and means of dissemination

but the scum, and they are scum, who are against the "truth of the matter" will fight tooth and nail, for their "reputations" and their riches, stem from criminal abuse and negligence.
such folks never give in
so, we'll see the SMC and others spew more BS in huge quantities to try and drown out the truth

someone who CHOSES to neglect and abuse innocent people is a scumbag.
End of story.

those who thought change would occur from logic etc...no.
Humans doesn't work that way I'm afraid :/

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
this does prove though a simple huge dislocation of thinking:

Science does NOT matter, it's what those in power, and for them what's the worst thing on Earth: what the ordinary folks believe, that really drive things.

People fool themselves otherwise, that facts, Science rules, that logic and compassion should have woken the Establishment up on this years ago
no, it never ever has...see scandal and crime after cover up and ghastly loss of life since 1900 as proof we "Modern Humans" are no different in fact, than the ancient Romans, Chinese or whoever.

it always comes down to some horrific catastrophe, some barn-storming activist, an outsider who makes great profit/noise, or, confluence of many factors at one crucial time, to allow important change to occur
see for example, way homosexuals and other groups have become less and less persecuted in the West, or many medical and scientific advances only accepted despite lots of prior evidence.

we can hope things are going through a "sea change" and Jen's work IS extremely important...but it had the right format, right front person and crucially, right time, audience and means of dissemination

but the scum, and they are scum, who are against the "truth of the matter" will fight tooth and nail, for their "reputations" and their riches, stem from criminal abuse and negligence.
such folks never give in
so, we'll see the SMC and others spew more BS in huge quantities to try and drown out the truth

someone who CHOSES to neglect and abuse innocent people is a scumbag.
End of story.

those who thought change would occur from logic etc...no.
Humans doesn't work that way I'm afraid :/
That's why its so critical for people to get that ME/CFS is a SERIOUS disorder. Basically every report from the IOM to the recent Dutch report has emphasized that because that's the critical need. That could change the mindset.

SilverbladeTE

Cort
yeah that's why the psychobabblers have used very cleaver and very manipulative language over the years
the right emphasis, the right sneer...and you make something a mockery, and thus hit one of the huge psychological triggers of Humanity:
no one wants to be made a fool of

thus you can drastically undermine ay support, sympathy etc, for a person, illness, cause and so on.
Thus, M.E. becomes "Oh they're only lazy bastards!"..."they are making a fool of you, wanting to live of the welfare!"...
very slick very effective, very destructive, and very evil.

having dealt with manipulative sociopaths, the psychobabblers language and tone (some of them) sticks out like a sore thumb to me :/
very serious.

I can hope it's finally hit a "critical mass" and will beat through the sheer bloody minded arrogance and crookery.

the "system" always refuses to act, to behave like physicians, and covers up and denies, and is so backward...ugh!!
21st century, yet people in power still act like it's the early 1800s! :/

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Cort
yeah that's why the psychobabblers have used very cleaver and very manipulative language over the years
the right emphasis, the right sneer...and you make something a mockery, and thus hit one of the huge psychological triggers of Humanity:
no one wants to be made a fool of

thus you can drastically undermine ay support, sympathy etc, for a person, illness, cause and so on.
Thus, M.E. becomes "Oh they're only lazy bastards!"..."they are making a fool of you, wanting to live of the welfare!"...
very slick very effective, very destructive, and very evil.

having dealt with manipulative sociopaths, the psychobabblers language and tone (some of them) sticks out like a sore thumb to me :/
very serious.

I can hope it's finally hit a "critical mass" and will beat through the sheer bloody minded arrogance and crookery.

the "system" always refuses to act, to behave like physicians, and covers up and denies, and is so backward...ugh!!
21st century, yet people in power still act like it's the early 1800s! :/
It's taking a long time that's for sure. Still amazed that people can suffer so much and not be believed. The power of blinders. ..

SilverbladeTE

Cort
well, look at history, the abuses of all kinds of people/groups, despite the inhumanity and glaringly obvious evidence in many cases it was all a "put up job" (using Jewish folk for debt and rent collectors for example, so they'd be the ones who'd be hated and not the real scum, the nobles who used them as an intermediary to avoid the anger of their abused serfs!)
and ultimately, the Holocaust, and folk STILL wouldn't believe such evil went on and the victims were blameless (which was why the British soldiers dragged local folk, politicians etc, some at gun point, and made them walk through Belsen, so they COULDN'T bloody deny it! )

look how long it took for the medical profession to accept that TB was not caused by masturbation, intellectualism or other silly stuff!
that women are NOT whiny silly gits, and they were in fact suffering from M.S., Lupus etc
one could go on, sigh
why I keep pointing out the Medical Profession (tm) is NOT about physicians, nurses, caring etc...it's a damn twisted cult that sells "health"! it behaves as a religious cult, not as carers nor is it at all scientific-based, it's about "accepted wisdom" and "kowtowing to those in charge"...see how the B.M.A. behaves.

sorry for being an acerbic sod on these issues, I know you do a lot for us :)
I am just SICK TO DEATH of seeing evil scum get away with obscene crimes, time after time after time :(

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any ideas how this went? Haven't seen anything posted?
I've seen reports on Facebook. Since links to individual FB pages won't work, I'll try to summarize what I read:

1) It was a great success with 140 public health employees, researchers, scientists, epidemiologists, analysts and health care professionals attending.

2) Panel after screening of Unrest: Jen Brea; Ron Davis; Faith Newton, expert on young people with ME in the schools; and Lisa Hall, a nurse with 17 yrs experience working w/ ME.

3) The video will be available soon.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I've seen reports on Facebook. Since links to individual FB pages won't work, I'll try to summarize what I read:

1) It was a great success with 140 public health employees, researchers, scientists, epidemiologists, analysts and health care professionals attending.

2) Panel after screening of Unrest: Jen Brea; Ron Davis; Faith Newton, expert on young people with ME in the schools; and Lisa Hall, a nurse with 17 yrs experience working w/ ME.

Thanks!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Cort
well, look at history, the abuses of all kinds of people/groups, despite the inhumanity and glaringly obvious evidence in many cases it was all a "put up job" (using Jewish folk for debt and rent collectors for example, so they'd be the ones who'd be hated and not the real scum, the nobles who used them as an intermediary to avoid the anger of their abused serfs!)
and ultimately, the Holocaust, and folk STILL wouldn't believe such evil went on and the victims were blameless (which was why the British soldiers dragged local folk, politicians etc, some at gun point, and made them walk through Belsen, so they COULDN'T bloody deny it! )

look how long it took for the medical profession to accept that TB was not caused by masturbation, intellectualism or other silly stuff!
that women are NOT whiny silly gits, and they were in fact suffering from M.S., Lupus etc
one could go on, sigh
why I keep pointing out the Medical Profession (tm) is NOT about physicians, nurses, caring etc...it's a damn twisted cult that sells "health"! it behaves as a religious cult, not as carers nor is it at all scientific-based, it's about "accepted wisdom" and "kowtowing to those in charge"...see how the B.M.A. behaves.

sorry for being an acerbic sod on these issues, I know you do a lot for us :)
I am just SICK TO DEATH of seeing evil scum get away with obscene crimes, time after time after time :(
Acerbic sod! I love it...

Your anger is well justified. I think we all expect better of the medical profession. We don't expect people in charge of our health to be short-sighted or ignorant and certainly not mean. spirited. We expect people in such important positions to take their chosen professions very seriously and not take on ignorant beliefs and attitudes. It's a high standard but they have a very high calling!

Unfortunately neither they nor the research community has lived up to their calling.

We have to keep working for them to do so.

Hopeful1976

Thank you @Sushi