• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Friend date ideas?

Nightingale

Chronically Cool
Hey guys!

So I've made a friend online who is an able person. She's lovely, but she doesn't know I have CFS. I will tell her, I just haven't yet (I never know how to put it in a way that people take it seriously). Anyways, I want to meet up with her for a "friend date", but I'm not sure what we could do with my condition. I like going and doing things with people to break the ice, as opposed to a coffee or a meal date.

Do you guys have any ideas for some low impact female friendship dates?

For context I'm moderately affected. I can go out for an hour or two, usually in a wheelchair if there's too much walking involved.

Thanks! :)

Runner5

I'm a fan of feeding ducks, coffee shops, parks and libraries. :D

For me, the worst dates were movies because it's uncomfortable sitting next to someone I don't know and you never get to talk to them + if you hate the movie and they love it is awkward.

Best of luck!

Dechi

I go out to dinner with my friends usually. Sometimes walk for a few minutes. Feeding ducks is a really neat idea, as long as there’s a place to sit nearby.

Nightingale

Chronically Cool
Thanks for the ideas! I looked it up and there's a place to feed the ducks in some gardens near me, so I think I'm going to go with that idea. :)

I hope it goes well! I like the idea of feeding ducks, because it allows for an ebb and flow of conversation. Chat about favorite TV shows or books. One thing I've tried with friends: teach each other something! For example, I have a buddy who speaks a second language I don't. She occasionally tries to teach me some words in that language, and I'll trade her the same words in a language I know but she doesn't. We haven't gotten far, but it's fun to watch each other try pronouncing new things lol.

Daffodil

restaurant! you can linger after and chat, have tea/coffee etc. or coffee shop + chat.