• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel terrible after taking lactulose

tinacarroll27

Hi all. I had a SIBO test on Friday and took some lactulose as part of the test. Friday I was fine just a bit of gas after. Saturday I had quite a bit of stomach pain but Sunday I felt terrible with a bloated stomach and lower back pain. Today I can't get out of bed and the pain in my back is worse and I am so bloated I look pregnant. Surely it can't be the lactulose can it? I can't think of anything else to have caused this!

Bob

The lactulose is designed to feed the problematic bacteria in the upper intestine for the purposes of the test. Your adverse reaction suggests that you might have SIBO, unless it's just your lower intestinal bacteria reacting. If you test positive and get treatment then the bloating should clear up.