• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alzheimer's and Innate Immunity in the Brain

Hip

That makes a lot of sense from the herpes simplex virus brain infection theory of ME/CFS.

Maybe the beta amyloid protein is just trying to protect the brain from HSV-1.

This study found that in most Alzheimer's disease brains, the amyloid plaques contain HSV-1 DNA, and 72% of the total HSV-1 DNA in the brain was associated with these plaques.

Whereas in normal aged brains, which contain amyloid plaques at a lower prevalence, 80% of plaques contained HSV-1 DNA, but only 24% of the total HSV-1 DNA in the brain was plaque-associated.

jpcv

Very interesting, I had already read about it at The excellent blog Microbeminded, there is a interview with Moir.
Microbeminded is written by Amy Proal, a ME patient.
There is an intererview also with the researcher that proposed the Vagus nerve theory Of the etiology of ME. It's worth a reading.

Hip

I actually wrote to the research team looking into HSV-1 etiologies of Alzheimer's some while ago, and told them about Dr Pridgen's Famvir + celecoxib protocol for targeting HSV-1 in fibromyalgia.

They said they would love to conduct a trial of HSV-1 antivirals for Alzheimer's, but cannot get funding, because very few experts in the world of Alzheimer's research believe that Alzheimer's could be caused by infections, so their grant applications get turned down by these experts.