• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vertigo and Horner's Syndrome

Hi, I am a 45yr old female and have suffered with CFS and Fibromyalgia for nearly 10 years now but my symptoms have taken a real 'neurological turn' over the past two years. These have been investigated by a neurologist with scans, carotid artery Doppler, X-ray, multiple blood tests, all coming back 'normal' so described by my GP as 'just a flare'!!!

I wondered if anyone else has very severe vertigo, with heavy, numb legs, feels like I am going to faint constantly. Also if anyone else has Horner's Syndrome with their CFS/ME/Fibro? as my mind is really starting to race thinking I have something that they have clearly missed like MS or MND.

Thanks in advance.

andyguitar

Vertigo is not uncommon in this illness. But sometimes it is caused by ear problems. Often all symptoms are put down to CFS but actually have no connection. Docs miss simple things. How about getting your ears checked out? Very unlikley it's MS or MND. Your symptoms dont fit.

Have you looked into POTS? (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) I have this, and gets bouts of vertigo. Some people have it a bit more severely, and get all the symptoms you describe. It takes a tilt table test to diagnose, but at home you can Google Poor Man's Tilt Table test, and check at home if it is a possibility. When you have pots you're resting heart rate raises at least 30 beats per minute when you stand up, and some people also get severe hypotension when standing which can often cause vertigo and syncope.