• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel better while fasting !?

Banana94

Does someone feel better while fasting?
I feel lots better while fasting and if I eat something than low carb/ ketogenic diet

I have high bactroidetes discovered by stool analysis. KDM prescribed me now Ornidazol for 10 days..

Do you make the same experiences?

thanky for sharing

drob31

This would raise your cortisol, and stabilize your blood sugar.

Blood sugar has an affect on the immune system apparently.

Banana94

@Banana94 how long without food do you begin to feel better and at what point do the benefits plateau?

It starts very quickly 2 days with one small meal per day makes my condition much better. I ve never tried it longer than 3 days. It s difficult to say because I'm taking ABX which also affects my condition negatively.

Plum

I feel better while intermittent fasting i.e. I don't eat for at least 15 hours. Sometimes longer. As soon as I eat I feel a bit better hunger wise but then there's additional fatigue as my body has to digest etc. I can also feel better not having lunch or leaving it really late. A meal seems to drain my energy for several hours. I don't eat huge portions so I have to eat 3 meals otherwise I don't take in enough to sustain me. I wish I could eat a bit more and then only have 2 meals a day. I've also found when stressful situations happen I can go most of the day without needing to eat and this seems to give me a little more energy to deal with the emergency.

Runner5

Also interested if the Ornidazole helped!

I've been doing IF on and off for a couple of months now. I've found it hard to stick with although I'm unsure why and feel down on myself for not doing better. The results were really quite good and even better if I avoided simple carbohydrates.

My goal is an 18 hour fasting window per day. I usually eat around 2pm and break my fast with something mild like bone broth and blueberries. Supper just whatever I have planned for the family. I'm very impressed that while doing this I've had energy to cook, where as before that was hit or miss and a great undertaking at all times.

When I first started it was very difficult and I was hit with intense hunger, but now my body has adjusted and it has dialed back the cortisol and adrenaline a bit and now seems content with waiting until it's lunch time at 1-2pm (I try to stop eating by 6 or 7pm altogether for the evening).

I felt so much better I decided to use my free gym pass to check out the local gym. I put in about a 30 minute workout, but the day after could not get out of bed and the day after that was highly fatigued with brain fog.

During my worst CFS days it's like my brain doesn't work. Sometimes it tries to furiously think, but often it loses the plot altogether. Everything seems like far too much effort and my trip to the gym seems like an impossible memory belonging to someone else.

With the IF - I am able to get more done, it's still about 25% of what a normal person can accomplish I would suppose but it does help. I am considering a four day fast of water (with himalyan sea salt for electrolytes). For me, I really must suspect my GI is involved with how I'm feeling.

ukxmrv

I'm better with regular eating. My attempts at fasting resulted in extra fainting and weakness. A diet of juices (veges and fruit) was the worst with violent vomiting, fainting and then months to recover.

Overall I am better with some carbs in the morning and then protein in the afternoon or evening. Ideally 2 meals a day are good with me and a snack before bedtime or inbetween if I am hungry.

Like @Plum I find lunch is often better to skip as it doesn't to return any better functioning or strength for me. and can be draining

Banana94

Its about a week my first round of 10 days Ornidazol ended. After 4 days of taking it I feld better, but at the end I got extremly tired from it..
At the end I cant say if it changed so much in my gut, it seems to take a long time changing the microbiome. I have to take it again for ten days in january..will keep you updated!
@gregh286 how high are you bacteroides?
Mind are abou 45% insted <10% due to RED Labs
Hope I can get rid of them..

knackers323

Ive seen reports and programs that say the microbiome can be largely altered in around three days.

I have no idea if true or not

Mick

Have you, or anyone else who feels markedly better from not eating gotten any further insight into why that that is, and find a better solution than going without food?

Nope, there is no better solution. What I can only say is that it may be easier to start fasting if all of your nutrients are replenished. Without some key nutrients it may be difficult for the body to switch itself into fasting mode (including but not limited to breakdown of glycogen, production of ketone bodies and their use by the brain, and hormonal changes required to survive fasting). I know that too well, because I've been there.

You may also improve your metabolic profile and the switch to fasting by taking:
- carnitine (improves fat burning)
- green tea (helps carnitine do its thing)
- coffee (as above, more less)
(the above are BTW components of the so-called thermogenic fat-burners so it is possible that any such a component will improve the fasting experience, just a thought)
- HMB (stops muscle tissue from breakdown directly whereas carnitine indirectly)
- If anything else fails you may take some pure amino acids - these don't require digestion but also kind of spoil the effect of fasting - it all of course depends on the dosage. I discovered that even a small dose (like a heapy teaspoon) once a day makes me feel better when fasting. But I don't need that anymore.

Fasting is actually a multi-prong approach to the problem of inflammation and gut problems. To simplify:
- when no food passes through your digestive system there is no cell shedding so everything can heal instead of shed.
- organs don't need to secrete enzymes and acid so they rest and the enzymes and acid don't digest cells.
- the cells of the immune system are not exposed to allergens
- the cells of the immune system are kept hungry so they don't have the energy to attack
- the cells of the immune system are kept in check by different hormones informing them that there's a state of fasting and it's no time for increased activity but a time for peace and quiet.
- the visceral fat is burnt as well as fat in the belly and that is very good because fat is actually quite active hormonally in a bad way.
- bad bacteria and/or candida die due to lack of food for them
- there are long-term hormonal changes like lowering demand for insulin when eating next time. And lower insulin means less inflammation.
- many other advantages that I forgot about or don't want to mention because enough is enough. But the conclusion is that fasting can't be replaced with anything else and over thousands (millions !) of years it became a part of human physiology. The human body should be ready to fast, should be metabolically flexible but it isn't because we simply don't do that. It's unthinkable. Only very few understand that it's... normal. So maybe we should... especially when there seems to be no other way...

But that doesn't mean that you can't get worse from it. As in case of any treatment or activity in general it may so happen that something really bad is going on with you and in the past you would simply die or have severe complications. And we don't want that, we want to prevent it.