• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

Daffodil

you have some lovely hats that look lovely on you!

I have to say..i cannot imagine a more British looking picture than this lol

our facial features are very similar, right down to the glasses....i am Indian though
21761906_1754135538040565_7611362929314399337_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The solution I have found for this problem (and for the problem of having to go out when my hair is filthy) is to make my own dry shampoo.
The commercial ones all have stuff I won't use, so after experimenting a while arrowroot powder alone does the trick!
You can buy a big bag of Bobs Red Mill brand for about $4 and it will last you for years. You can add essential oil, or cinnamon or what have you, but in the end
I just like the arrowroot powder alone.

I bought a makeup powder brush, and I just dab the brush in my jar of arrowroot, (tapping off the extra,),and dab it on my scalp by making
parts every inch or so.

You *can* do too much, so less is more. After you've applied it to your satisfaction, you can brush, comb, or finger it through.

This really helps the itchy/painful scalp thing! It also makes you presentable if your hair is seriously greasy and you have to meet and greet.

I use this trick all the time, and am so very glad for it, because washing hair is just not gonna happen on the regular over here.
Sometimes it actually makes my hair nicer than when it is clean!

Hi, I'm a total noob, but I like to experiment, so I'm putting Diamateceous Earth (sp?) on my hair last two nights to quiet the hair itch.

Seems to be working. It's a white talc-like powder.

Cheers!

hellytheelephant

PracticingAcceptance

Cool thread.

I've given up on makeup the way I used to wear it. Now I wear it just when I feel like experimenting - not because I feel like I have to keep up a standard. I've been rocking blue lipstick recently. If people don't like it, that's up to them, but it makes me feel kick-ass. I need some of that.

Also I dyed my hair pink. I can't keep it looking frizz-free and curly all the time, because I can't maintain it well enough, but it makes my hair look permanently fun. It makes me happy in the mirror to see brightness. It's slowly fading from dark dusty pink to rose gold. I love it.

Also... when I leave the house for anything moderately exciting, I overdress. I've got all these fabulous clothes in my cupboard that are going unworn. I might as well use them when I can.

Pity about my heels though. I can't walk in anything but flats these days.

ladycatlover

@hellytheelephant I'm a size 16 at least so no way I could fit that stuff. I wouldn't risk trying as a "big 12" unless I knew the company - some tend to be more generous on sizing than others, but some are rather more skimpy! ;) If free returns I guess would be OK though, just to check out.

Over the last few years I seem to have more or less given up on trousers; skirts or dresses all the time now. Maybe shorts if it's very hot in summer. Have some nice velveteen trousers, but can't wear them with my sheepskin boots that I find I need to wear year round as feet too cold otherwise. My super leather shoes (and I have such a nice collection! :love:) make feet too cold as well. :cry: Only get to wear very occasionally on hottest of summer days. :cry:

@lior I'm loving the idea of blue lipstick! :) Though at 69 I suspect if I wore it people would assume I was having a heart attack and call an ambulance! :rofl: Totally agree about getting dressed up if leaving the house. For me even going to get my B12 injection is exciting, so did get dressed up yesterday! :lol: Very nice cheerful male nurse, so worth the effort. ;) Even husband agrees he's nice. :) Today I'm sat in bed wearing ancient nightie that's full of holes over pyjama bottoms that are near worn out too. Recovering from yesterday's effort. :sluggish:

ladycatlover

Not sure... I think I've fallen in love with the skirt/dress and hat mode... Though still have trousers with fish print that I love, elastic waist. When I can find them! Possibly in suitcase at caravan or in the loft at home. Gotta be at least 20 years old now though!

hellytheelephant

You wear it well! I really miss my jeans...and at the moment I am having trouble finding anything I can wear- everything has to be really baggy as anything fitted increases pain ( this includes sleeves and even things around the wrist).

Next year will be the year of Lagenlook and harem pants! Am thinking of splashing on a basic floor length velvet dress which I could wear with a variety of cardis in Winter.

jesse's mom

I don't do my makeup much anymore, but I have this eyeliner by Benifit called Fake Awake. It goes on the waterline (the part of the eye irght behind the lower lashes.) These are white to light colours that appear to open open my poor swollen eyes and take away from the dark circles.
I love the tunics and wear them often with funky leggings. If I sit cross legged it looks nice in the wheelchair and I don't have to be concerned with flashing anyone:redface:.

Now I really want to look up Nomads.

in bras I like a front closure that is so much easier to get on and off! Spanx makes a good one and I go up a size not in the cup but in the circumference.

Yoga bras work well for me because the straps are wide, I am an ample C cup. I have not found this type in a front close. I use extenders because due to inflammation I vary in size.