• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So sick of sickness!

andyguitar

Sure you can have gastritis with low stomach acid. It's caused by anything that irritates the stomach. Drugs ie asprin, ibuprofen, alcohol, smoking,spicy food. Having high acid levels would make symptoms worse. If you have had it before it is highly likley you will get it again. Sorry for the bad news! Do you have to lie down a lot? That wont help. Try putting a couple of books under the head end of the bed to tilt it very slightly- that will help to prevent any reflux and might get rid of the bad taste in your mouth. Ever been tested for helico pylori bacteria? That can cause chaos in the GI tract. What you say about the low mood ect in connection to the gut. Yes that comes up a lot but it does'nt always mean you have to take stuff to fix things. Getting rid of gastritis might be enough. Woof to your dog!

Hopeful1976

I've had nausea since I got this bloody disease - over 20 years worth. Whenever I feel good, the gut is good. And vice versa. When it's bad, m.e symptoms are bad. Iwas tested at the same time as the mild gastritis diagnosis but I didn't have it. I have never considered I may be deficient in acid tho until I started reading about it courtesy of @Mary above, and doing the baking soda test. Any ideas other than betaine to increase it? Lemon? Thanks so much for your input too!

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've had nausea since I got this bloody disease - over 20 years worth. Whenever I feel good, the gut is good. And vice versa. When it's bad, m.e symptoms are bad. Iwas tested at the same time as the mild gastritis diagnosis but I didn't have it. I have never considered I may be deficient in acid tho until I started reading about it courtesy of @Mary above, and doing the baking soda test. Any ideas other than betaine to increase it? Lemon? Thanks so much for your input too!

I've read that apple cider vinegar can help too though I suggest starting cautiously - when I first took it, it caused a detox reaction, somehow getting toxins mobilized in my system, but it doesn't do that to me any more.

And I believe that lemon juice can help too.

andyguitar

If you can afford it i would suggest trying Amino Acids. You can get them from Biocare. Other companies do them to but make sure it is a balanced formula. They will increase stomach acid and also help to repair any damage to your gut.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Vicki Cole - what specifically are your gut symptoms? You said nausea - is there anything else? The more specific you are, the better people can help you.

I didn't really have nausea per se when I was low in stomach acid. What I did have was an uncomfortable feeling of fullness after eating, it felt like food was just sitting there (which it was!) And also appetite was off and at one point I literally could not eat until after noon. It affected my gallbladder and liver too. With the gallbladder I had belching which was abnormal. It all pretty much got resolved with the betaine HCL with pepsin, but I also had to do a liver detox.

I really think if you do a separate post about your symptoms - nausea and whatever else is going, you will probably get more help. There are so many posts, it really helps to be as specific as possible in the title because no one can look at all of them. To just say you're sick of being sick, we all feel that way. But it doesn't give any indication of what your specific problem is.

eta: or you could just change the title of your post

Last edited:

Hopeful1976

My chief symptom is a horrible sick feeling, like I am rotting inside from my stomach area up through to my throat. I do not have gut pain bit my lower stomach is very distended and by the end of the day, I look 6 mints pregnant. I also get a sourness in my mouth that stops if I eat but swiftly comes back. No reflux. No heartburn. Sometimes a probiotic will cease all this, but not for long sadly - it also goes hand in hand with fatigue and a sad feeling - if my tum is bad, m.e is bad. I'll do another thread. Thanks.