• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

progesterone cream/gel not as good as pills?

Fred Smith

Im gonna start taking vitex soon apparantly it can increase progesterone and its taken orally.. I wanna how much of a difference there is.. between that and cream..

vitex can help your body make its own progesterone.. it tells your brain to make its own if you are deficient ,well thats the basics.. anyway.

What im curious is I shouldnt feel a difference when I start taking vitex ... you would think right.. since im already taking 40mg progesterone cream daily. But who knows.. maybe I will feel it better when things are taken orally instead of cream.

Paralee

@farshad, how is it going? I can't do anything with two tests coming up, hopefully the last of December I can start this up again. I'm your eye in the sky, lol (following this post). Hope you're still doing well and are you trying the vitex yet?

Hip

hm. Does that mean when you take cream your body decides how much allpregnanolone it will make but when you take ORALLY a lot of it is converted to allpregnanolone? Because I remember when I took progesterone orally I really noticed the calming effect. the cream yes it has helped me calm down but not as much as when I took orally but my cream dosage is also a lot lower, when I took it orally the dosage was pretty high. But cream does help with my sleep definatly.. So IDK what to think. Maybe I need to up my dosage from 20mg cream or maybe the cream progesterone hasnt kicked in fully yet? im 3 days in.

What progesterone dose did you take orally? If it is a lot higher than your transdermal cream dose, then you cannot really compare.

Interesting though that oral progesterone is better than transdermal for creating allopregnanolone. It confirms that here:
while oral progesterone is not a good way to get progesterone into the body, it is a great way to get allopregnanolone in the body.

Instead of using progesterone, you can also take 5α-dihydroprogesterone (5α-DHP), which is a direct precursor to allopregnanolone. 5α-DHP can be bought here, as a "research chemical".

The creation of allopregnanolone from progesterone following this pathway:

Progesterone ---(5AR)---➤ 5α-dihydroprogesterone ---(3α-HSD)---➤ allopregnanolone

5AR is the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase.

There is some interesting info on allopregnanolone here.

This article says:
Allopregnanolone (also known as Allo) is a neurosteroid found in the brain and bloodstream. In previous studies it has shown promise as a potential regenerative therapy to promote brain cell creation (neurogenesis) and improve cognitive function in older animals and animals with induced Alzheimer’s disease.

And a pharmacuetical comapny is working on a synthetic and more powerful version of allopregnanolone called ganaxolone.

The cream not doing anything for bones is wrong ,im proof of it. My teeth are stronger, wrists stronger.. and im just few days in.

I don't think a feeling of wrist strength will come from increased bone strength, and in any case, there is no way your bone strength is going to increase in just a matter of days. Likewise for teeth.

Fred Smith

@farshad, how is it going? I can't do anything with two tests coming up, hopefully the last of December I can start this up again. I'm your eye in the sky, lol (following this post). Hope you're still doing well and are you trying the vitex yet?
my vitex arrived today took my first dosage cant say I feel much yet.. when I first too progesterone it took like 1-2 days to see something so im thinking maybe its the same.
So im taking progesterone cream + vitex together.

One thing I noticed is vitex has changed my body odour or whatever you call it in english the way my body and sweat smells. My armpit smell better... too much information?

Last edited:

Fred Smith

https://www.longnaturalhealth.com/Dr-Peats-Progest-E-Complex-34-ml
One day I decided to just swallow a lot of the progesterone and it worked very well.
I was awake for 3 days. Im assuming it kick started my metabolism and stuff. Which the progesterone cream havent done any of that. So im thinking cream is not as good as people say. I think not only does cream progesterone not affect allpregnanolone very well but also many other things too. When I took low dose 20mg orally of Peats progesterone the effect was way better than cream . I took the low dosage for probably a week but then decided to just empty the bottle and I probably swallowed like 70mg just a guess thats when the progesterone really worked.

I would buy the 5α-DHP but I want the full benefit of progesterone, not just the GABA aspect. If you know of any progesterone that can be taken orally let me know . Im looking for progesterone that can be taken orally not synthetic progesterone . I might just buy bulk Ray peats progesterone and swallow in high dosages if it comes to it.

Yes the bone in my wrists were harder in just a matter of days . I have no reason to make this up. my condition is also very bad unlike the rest thats why I saw benefit quicker. teeth also stronger. They are not 100% healed but they have definitely improved . Im 2 weeks in on progesterone cream . Im hoping I see some more improvements soon but I doubt it. All my improvements came in the first week -or the first few days.
@Hip

(edit) I just tried a very high dosage of cream probably like 200mg and I still cant feel the gaba effect..... suspicious of cream...

Last edited:

Fred Smith

hmmm dr peats Progesterone seems like an good option for progesterone orally.
it contains 2800mg of progesterone for 30 bucks. its also micronized for higher absorption.

So if I take like 100mg daily it will last me more than 25 days... not bad actually.

Anyone know how much progesterone I would get if I take like 100mg orally?

Also unrelated the progesterone cream I have been applying on my wrist has made the nerves or whatever you call them inside my wrists very very hard..

Paralee

Hi @farshad , haven't been back on here, lots of health bs. I'm still following though. Waiting for results right now...can't seem to concentrate on much else. Glad you're figuring some things out.