• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food or Drink Smells in Urine?

ChrisD

Predominantly Coffee, I never had anything but Asparagus smell in my urine pre-CFS but now I can smell quite distinctly varying smells in my urine. Coffee in particular smells almost exactly the same as if it was poured from the pot! Yet the colour of my urine can be normal.....

....Could this be a smoking gun? Poor liver and kidney function?

TreePerson

I have the same. I think it's enhanced sense of smell. It's been going on for me for years and any time I've had liver and kidney function tests have been normal. ☺️

WoolPippi

Predominantly Coffee, I never had anything but Asparagus smell in my urine pre-CFS but now I can smell quite distinctly varying smells in my urine. Coffee in particular smells almost exactly the same as if it was poured from the pot! Yet the colour of my urine can be normal.....

....Could this be a smoking gun? Poor liver and kidney function?
I only have an ammonia smell if I have taken protein and my vit mB12 supplement but forgot to take phosphatidylserine which helps the cell to usher things away through normal waste channels (it's part of the homocysteine cycle, in the methylation cycles). Now they dump the ammonia directly in my urine.
Colour is normal. Smell goes away when I take phosphatidylserine. I'm not worried.

Does coffee have proteins?
Either way: if colour is light then kidneys are allright, is what I assume.

If your stool is darkly coloured then that channel of waste elimination is working correctly too. Dark means bile and bile is the chief waste vessel of your body for the heavy bad things (hormones, toxins). Metals go through sweat, so that's the third way.

WoolPippi

Parosmia = a smelling disfunction in the brain. Also known as troposmia (Gk.) or cacosmia (Gk.)

The brain is unable to properly identify an odor's "natural" smell.
Causes are some illnesses and destruction of neuromatter through strong solvents. Or head trauma.
There is no treatment but symptoms lessen over time in most cases.

(Hi Alexi :) I'm just aiding people who are too tired to google )

I've noticed my urine gives off a much stronger scent. And also my urine is extremely foamy or bubbly. I'm suspecting mild kidney or liver damage. I use to drink to extreme inebriation. While not a frequent imbiber, I'd get extremely drunk to the point I'd black out. I'm sure the monthly blackouts have caused some irreparable damage.

I have the thing with coffee too - I've been thoroughly tested on kidney and liver function and everything came back normal, so it may just be that something in coffee can't be completely broken down by some people.