• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Someone has tried this 2LEBV?

rodgergrummidge

Thanks so much @Learner1 ! Very much appreciated.

I couldnt open the 'deficent EBV response.PDF' file and it indicated that it had 0 bytes. Could you re-upload?

Rodger

rodgergrummidge

With a full battery of titers, plus symptoms, inflammation markers, plus the development of POTS antibodies. I had no IgM but high IgGs, positive PCRs, and a very strange presentation of EBV as described in the attached deficient EBV response doc.

Both my top ME/CFS doctor and my primary doctor agree on my diagnosis, though I had other doctors dismiss my results as "past infections". My CFS doc said "I know what we were all taught in med school but its wrong.

Additionally, the tests for various infections seem to vary. That is, certain tests are better for certain viruses.

Since being treated for viruses, I've improved, while in the previous 18 months, of been going downhill, so I have no reason to doubt the diagnosis. I think a lot of patients may have chronic viruses that are missed and therefore don't get the treatment they need.

My CFS doc and the researchers at the Symposium both described how viruses, especially EBV, can push the immune system to create autoimmune antibodies. I didn't have POTS 2 years ago, but developed it during the time I was getting sicker before antiviral treatment.

Thanks again @Learner1 , I could now download the deficient EBV response.PDF paper you posted. I'll have a read over.

Also, I had a look over the Montoya paper that you posted (Journal of Medical Virology 85:2101–2109 2013).

The results seem somewhat odd in terms of the theory of chronic viral infection.

The authors' main inclusion criteria for CFS patients with 'chronic viral infection' was high Ab titres to HHV or EBV. Thus, if the antiviral treatment reduced (or cleared) the chronic viral infection, then, by their own diagnostic criteria, the Ab titres to the viruses should be reduced, particularly at the longer end-points (eg 48 weeks). Yet, while the antiviral treatment reduced subjective CFS symptoms, it had no significant effect on any Ab titres. Strange?

Another biomarker that could indicate that the antiviral treatment reduced the chronic viral infection might be a reduction in proinflammatory cytokines. However, such changes, if they occurred appear very weak: Most cytokines didnt change significantly in the treatment group. It was only when multiple Th1 cytokines were grouped that a 2.52-fold increase over a 9-month was found in the treatment group compared to a 1.48-fold decrease in the placebo arm. And no significant difference was observed for Th-2 type cytokines. Overall, the antiviral treatment seems to have very little impact on Ab or cytokine biomarkers of chronic viral infection. This seems odd given the significant improvements in qualitative CFS symptoms.

food for thought

Rodger

Learner1

From what I understand, IgG antibodies tend to persist for quite awhile. Montoya seems to be using valganciclovir as a mainline treatment with his patients, who seem to keep seeing him. I've been on his waiting list for 25 months and he's been too busy to get around to seeing me..though I'm not sure I need to at this point.

Both my doctors feel its a valid treatment and prescribed it, and my symptoms have improved dramstically on it and my titers and PCRs improved.