• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying to walk and is my previous infection linked to this?

Hello everyone

I had been on a mobility scooter for just over 1 and a half years so anytime I was outdoors I would use it so I was only walking round my small flat (apartment) but mostly on sofa or in bed, but now I have given it back to the hire company for 2 reasons. I needed the extra money and 2 I need to try getting on my feet outdoors again or I know I will just keep getting worse.

Thing is that i started using it initially after I had a very long bad chest infection that meant I was bedridden for about a month and when I ventured out with my young daughter to go see the dr which involved walking a distance and up a slight incline I actually could not catch my breath it was so so scary and ontop of me being an anxiety ridden person since having health issues I decided that I could not walk anymore and I rented the scooter. I stopped someone to ask for help saying I could not breath and they didnt help ... when I reached the dr they blamed anxiety as my oxygen level was ok but I know it was more than that, my body really struggled. I kinda gave up being active after that. I just gave up altogether on my activity.

So now I go out a little walk maybe 3 nights a week. I only go about 10 mins or less but that is a struggle and I really have the air hunger thing and obviously my heart rate increases as expected but I know I am very badly deconditioned because of the CFS I have had for 7 years but been worse since past 2 years with very bad orthostatic intolerance. I use a rollator walker so if i need a seat i can but i seem to freak out if i dont keep going as i can get a woozy feeling too :(

What can I do ? Any advice on this? does it seem a good idea to keep the walks up? does it maybe have something to do with my lungs ? I do feel mucusy alot in my sinus and was diagnosed with rhinitis of unknown cause... if do feel i could have mucus in my lungs from the time I had that chest infection. Sometimes if i lie on my right hand side I hear a crackle sound in there, but of course no dr can hear it!

I also had some form of pneumonia as a child I think even 2 times in the same couple of months or so...

Thanks for reading xx

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
Have you had x rays of your chest and your heart tested?

Those symptoms can make you very frightened. And more exhausted.

I don't know whether it sounds like anxiety or a panic attack. Kind of sounds too severe and unresponsive to persistent exercise to be deconditioning too.

I'm honestly not the best person to be answering your questions - there are plenty more members with heaps of knowledge. I can say that I empathise.

Much love x

Thanks, thing is the dr does not take it serious as you can imagine. says im deconditioned.I was offered an ecg though , would that be any good ? I also might have thyroid issues non detected by NHS of course but I defo have CFS do it could be adrenal too which case would any of that cause these symptoms and what can I do ?