• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller: Hey Bristol: where is my cease and desist letter?

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2017/11/22/trial-by-error-hey-bristol-where-is-my-cease-and-desist-letter/

Trial By Error: Hey Bristol, Where Is My Cease and Desist Letter?
22 NOVEMBER 2017
By David Tuller, DrPH

Earlier today, I e-mailed the following letter to Sue Paterson, University of Bristol’s Director of Legal Services, to clarify whether or not I had been sent a cease and desist letter (to cease and desist what, exactly?). Professor Esther Crawley made this claim at her public talk last Friday. I have never received any such letter. I cc’d the office of the university’s vice-chancellor, Professor Hugh Brady.

Dear Ms. Paterson—

I attended Professor Esther Crawley’s interesting talk at the University of Exeter on Friday, November 17th. During the question period, I introduced myself and politely asked her why she had accused me of libel and then failed to respond to my e-mail requests that she document this serious allegation. I was immediately asked to leave the room, which I did promptly and without fuss.

Before I left, however, Professor Crawley told me this: “You have been so unbelievably defamatory and unprofessional that I had to get my university to send you a cease and desist letter.“ As with her false charge of libel, she provided no documentation or evidence that anything I wrote was inaccurate or in error—which is of course necessary to sustain an accusation of defamation. (In contrast, calling me “unprofessional” is obviously well within Professor Crawley’s rights, even if I disagree.)

More significantly, her statement that Bristol had sent me a cease and desist letter was certainly news to me. I have received no such letter from Bristol, either by e-mail or by post. In our previous e-mail exchange involving my complaint to Bristol about Professor Crawley’s public accusation of “libellous” blogging, you made no reference to a cease and desist letter. Nor did you mention having sent such a letter in our more recent e-mail exchange involving my freedom of information request related to Professor Crawley’s ethically challenged school absence study.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

David's new profile: (pretty good!)

23659400_10154793897641829_5852752313434486440_n.jpg

lilpink

Bristol seem quite happy to drag their feet on this matter don't they? You'd have thought they'd have such significant information at their fingertips and would be able to assist David Tuller in this matter by return of post.