• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OURA ring sleep monitoring

Thomas

Maybe you've got a glitch that's making it misrecord today. I guess if it still happens tomorrow need to get some tech support?
Yes I guess so. I feel it’s been happening consistently lately not just today so I’ll have to inquire again w them. Thanks.

Cinders66

Interesting thread. Thank you

I was looking at the oura ring for sleep. How does it measure it? I'm 100% bedbound and was concerned if it largely relied on cessation of movement as I don't move much day or night.

I was also interested in its ability to assess heart rate variability HRV, at night. I don't think it measures it in the day. I've seen small research suggesting low HRV in ME, higher HRV is better as It's a sign as to the health and flexibility of your autonomic nervous system I think, which we know is impacted in ME. Has anyone found it useful for HRV? Also temperature it can measure, when I'm worse I tend to feel warm - hot I don't know if that is useful.

I think wearable trackers are great and was interested to see at the Stanford symposium ron Davis is trying to create one which can monitor important markers like cytokines via sweat.

NelliePledge

Hi Cinders I think someone on this thread said ŌURA say the ring is 85%accurate. And I think that’s probably about right most of the time the info feels right but there are times when it isn’t. As I’m a night owl it sometimes thinks I’ve gone to sleep when I was actually on the sofa watching a TV programme. I’m not good on the science and tech so haven’t investigated how it measures.

The HRV info is a single number for each night. Mine goes up and down quite a bit from day to day but I haven’t looked at it to see if it’s a leading or lagging measure in terms of how I actually feel on any given day I think you would need to be more thorough than me to see that. But then again as it isn’t 100%accurate may not be worth the investment of time. I take the ring as helpful as i wouldn’t have any info without it. I can’t stick to routinely making my own activity records. I’ve got mild moderate symptoms so maybe my experience not too useful for you.
On sleep I found it interesting to see light deep and R.E.M. and the overall hours slept. I seem to get very little deep sleep so if ever I get to see a Dr who has any clue about ME I want to ask about this.

Cinders66

Hi Cinders I think someone on this thread said ŌURA say the ring is 85%accurate. And I think that’s probably about right most of the time the info feels right but there are times when it isn’t. As I’m a night owl it sometimes thinks I’ve gone to sleep when I was actually on the sofa watching a TV programme. I’m not good on the science and tech so haven’t investigated how it measures.

The HRV info is a single number for each night. Mine goes up and down quite a bit from day to day but I haven’t looked at it to see if it’s a leading or lagging measure in terms of how I actually feel on any given day I think you would need to be more thorough than me to see that. But then again as it isn’t 100%accurate may not be worth the investment of time. I take the ring as helpful as i wouldn’t have any info without it. I can’t stick to routinely making my own activity records. I’ve got mild moderate symptoms so maybe my experience not too useful for you.
On sleep I found it interesting to see light deep and R.E.M. and the overall hours slept. I seem to get very little deep sleep so if ever I get to see a Dr who has any clue about ME I want to ask about this.

Thanks for that @NelliePledge , that was helpful.