• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wellness blogger fined for fake cancer tale

John Mac

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41423491

An Australian wellness blogger who falsely claimed to have cancer has been fined A$410,000 (£240,000, $322,000) for misleading her readers.
Belle Gibson, 25, gained fame in Australia after she claimed to have beaten brain cancer using natural remedies and nutrition.
She launched a successful app and cookbook, but later admitted the diagnosis was made up.

So it's not just the ME community that is targeted by charlatans

Hip

If a blogger can be fined for claiming to have a disease that she really did not have and financially profiting from this claim, can psychiatrists be fined for claiming ME/CFS patients don't have a disease that they really do have, with psychiatrists financially profiting from these false claims?

That is, is there a legal case for fining psychiatrists who tell patients that their ME/CFS is "all in the mind", and then profit from these lies?

HowToEscape?

If a blogger can be fined for claiming to have a disease that she really did not have and financially profiting from this claim, can psychiatrists be fined for claiming ME/CFS patients don't have a disease that they really do have, with psychiatrists financially profiting from these false claims?

That is, is there a legal case for fining psychiatrists who tell patients that their ME/CFS is "all in the mind", and then profit from these lies?

There is certainly a moral case. In the US it might fall under civil RICO, but to win it you'd need a combination legal political and media team to rival the Clinton empire. (Not going to happen.)

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..

Interesting, perhaps something to pursue further

Hajnalka

So it's not just the ME community that is targeted by charlatans
On a related note: I've recently had a look at the homepage of a German cancer association. They wrote very visibly, that positive thinking does not help and that it's a very unfortunate myth for cancer patients who are being blamed. So there definitely seem to be parallels between all diseases.