• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chamomile or Peppermint Tea - Night-time

wonderoushope

Hi all,

I am currently doing the RPAH diet and testing salicylates and I have to consume peppermint and chamomile tea. Is one better than the other for sleeping?

I have been on sals for over a week and have noticed an increase in insomnia, so just want to make sure the teas at night are not making things worse.

msf

Perhaps the problem is your new diet - does that contain any FODMAPs?

wonderoushope

Perhaps the problem is your new diet - does that contain any FODMAPs?

The diet does have high fodmaps, but dietician has taken most of them out. I have been doing the diet for about 3 months, but I challenge food groups once I reach close to baseline. The reason is we started to notice high fodmaps on the diet started causing me nausea.

msf

These things are complicated, but I find sticking to the FODMAP diet is simplest. Do you have a medical reason to avoid salicylates?

wonderoushope

These things are complicated, but I find sticking to the FODMAP diet is simplest. Do you have a medical reason to avoid salicylates?

Yes, I seem to react to certain foods, but so far nothing is conclusive with results (but have noticed an issue with high fodmap foods). I had done the fodmap diet in the past, but at the time I got really sick and reacted to all foods, so it was suggested the RPAH diet might be best.

I am only avoiding saliylates short term (a little over a week). I am doing the RPAH elimination diet. Where you eliminate a lot of foods until you get to baseline (meaning you are not reacting) then you challenge food chemicals within certain group to see if you are sensitive. I have been doing the saliylates challenge for a bit over a week and will stop early next week. So far I am not reacting to saliylates, apart from noticing a bit more insomnia and itchiness.

I have already tested amines, wheat and lactose free milk. I seem to react a bit to amines, but lactose free milk is fine. Wheat I have to redo as I made a mistake, but sort of looks like I react to it.

tudiemoore

Yes, chamomile is a calming herb while peppermint is thought to be an energizer.
Since I work to avoid anything that can keep me awake, I avoid peppermint after 4:00 PM
I do seem to fail badly at walking away from the computer, usually with PR keeping me up!