• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Itchy Rash from EPA/DHA Supplement?

About two weeks, or so, ago I started taking Source Naturals Vegan Omega-3s (EPA-DHA).

About 10 days ago I got what felt like hives on my chest. They were so itchy, but I didn't think anything about it because in the past I've experienced hives and they always fade away. The next night they were still there, which I commented on to my family, "Wow! I never had hives this bad that they were itchy the next day!"

Since then what seemed like hives turned into a very large rash (irregular edges, slightly raised, some bumps) that I couldn't stop scratching (woke up at night scratching it). It began to ooze like poison ivy/oak, so we assumed that's what it was. It became a very large patch on my upper chest and reaching to my collar bone. I scratched it so much it became raw and I think might have become partly infected.

Then I started using a solution of sea salt and water (2.5 T salt to 1 liter water) and it took the itch away and dried up the oozing. Rinsing it off before bed resulted in nighttime oozing and itching. After three days of the salt water, it is very dry and cracking/flaking, raw, and painful.

However, now the rash is starting again all over my abdomen, reaching around my back a bit, and down onto my upper thighs. It's extremely itchy, but not yet oozing or anything like what I thought was poison ivy/oak. It's horrible and so itchy. That's when my sister reminded me I started the EPA/DHA supplement and she wondered if it was connected, since the timing would add up. Does anyone know about vegan sources of EPA/DHA resulting in itchy rashes?

Also, I was very concerned about the spread of this all over my abdomen, so I went to the doctor today. He had no idea what it was...said maybe an allergic reaction to something--and that the new area where the rash was just starting he said looked like scarlet fever (he did a throat culture and had it sent out). He wasn't sure, but since I had a month-long sore throat and tonsil stones on/off over that month that I thought might have resulted in a systemic bacterial infection, he prescribed Keflex 500mg 3x/day for 7 days. I started that today.

Do any of you have ideas about EPA/DHA and a rash like this (itchy, hive-like, oozing when scratched a lot)?

Do any of you have any suggestions for something (natural would be best) that can harmlessly relieve me of this itching until this gets figured out?

Do any of you have suggestions for something I can put on the dry/raw/cracking areas that are no longer itching? They are so dry/cracked that it hurts to move.

In my signature are the main genetic mutations that might be responsible for the EPA/DHA allergy, if that's what this is.

Thanks!

PDXhausted

I don't know anything about vegan omega 3s, but I can share my experience with a mystery rash. I randomly developed a rash around my face that spread to my chest in January.. It was somewhat oozy. It was itchy as well. I also got swollen lymph nodes in my throat and neck.

I discovered that probiotics and fermented food made it much worse (which I ate daily). It eventually got worse to the point that any food high in histamine made it worse and made my throat itchy, and that's when I realized I had histamine intolerance or possibly MCAS.

Around that time is also when we realized we had toxic mold all over our attic and crawl space venting into our house that I had been breathing daily.

Once I quit taking probiotics, reduced high histamine foods and moved out of our moldy house, my rash has improved a lot. Anti histamines and quercetin help as well. Cortisone cream on the rash has helped too. I would say that if you find reducing histamine, taking antihistamines, or cortisone cream to help, then consider it might be an allergy or possibly look into MCAS or histamine intolerance.

Last edited:

arewenearlythereyet

About two weeks, or so, ago I started taking Source Naturals Vegan Omega-3s (EPA-DHA).

About 10 days ago I got what felt like hives on my chest. They were so itchy, but I didn't think anything about it because in the past I've experienced hives and they always fade away. The next night they were still there, which I commented on to my family, "Wow! I never had hives this bad that they were itchy the next day!"

Since then what seemed like hives turned into a very large rash (irregular edges, slightly raised, some bumps) that I couldn't stop scratching (woke up at night scratching it). It began to ooze like poison ivy/oak, so we assumed that's what it was. It became a very large patch on my upper chest and reaching to my collar bone. I scratched it so much it became raw and I think might have become partly infected.

Then I started using a solution of sea salt and water (2.5 T salt to 1 liter water) and it took the itch away and dried up the oozing. Rinsing it off before bed resulted in nighttime oozing and itching. After three days of the salt water, it is very dry and cracking/flaking, raw, and painful.

However, now the rash is starting again all over my abdomen, reaching around my back a bit, and down onto my upper thighs. It's extremely itchy, but not yet oozing or anything like what I thought was poison ivy/oak. It's horrible and so itchy. That's when my sister reminded me I started the EPA/DHA supplement and she wondered if it was connected, since the timing would add up. Does anyone know about vegan sources of EPA/DHA resulting in itchy rashes?

Also, I was very concerned about the spread of this all over my abdomen, so I went to the doctor today. He had no idea what it was...said maybe an allergic reaction to something--and that the new area where the rash was just starting he said looked like scarlet fever (he did a throat culture and had it sent out). He wasn't sure, but since I had a month-long sore throat and tonsil stones on/off over that month that I thought might have resulted in a systemic bacterial infection, he prescribed Keflex 500mg 3x/day for 7 days. I started that today.

Do any of you have ideas about EPA/DHA and a rash like this (itchy, hive-like, oozing when scratched a lot)?

Do any of you have any suggestions for something (natural would be best) that can harmlessly relieve me of this itching until this gets figured out?

Do any of you have suggestions for something I can put on the dry/raw/cracking areas that are no longer itching? They are so dry/cracked that it hurts to move.

In my signature are the main genetic mutations that might be responsible for the EPA/DHA allergy, if that's what this is.

Thanks!
I have constant problems with skin rashes, breakouts and poor wound healing. I use nappy rash cream. I'm not sure whether you have it over in the USA but it's the one that has vitamin e in it ( sudocrem care and protect)

It seems to prevent infection and speed healing a bit as well as moisturise/ act as a barrier

This seems to be the best one I've tried, although I'm sure any other antiseptic barrier cream with vitamin e would work.

Have you ever had chicken pox? Are you sure that it isn't shingles?

It's definitely not shingles.

There's a chance it is some sort of allergic reaction to taking the DHA/EPA supplement. It looks like hives, but gets really awful and oozes when I scratch too much.

I'm taking the antibiotic, hoping it will help. I've had three doses so far, and it's not going away or showing any difference.

zzz

The Source Naturals Vegan Omega-3 is made from algae, and you may very well be allergic to algae. Such an allergy could easily produce the reactions you are experiencing. Hydrocortisone cream (which can be found OTC) should relieve the itching; others may know what would be best for the dry, cracked skin.

Source Naturals Ahiflower Oil is an alternative vegan supplement that supplies Omega-3s.

Thanks! My husband picked up a bottle of Vitamin E oil that is soothing the dry/cracked/raw area.

I'm pretty sure it's hives...a severe case of them. Pressure on the skin and heat make it worse, coolness makes it better. I'm hopeful it will clear soon as I've read many people experience allergic hives for months!

Thanks for the alternative source suggestion for Omega-3s. At this point I'm terrified to introduce anything new, especially Omega-3s. But, I'll keep it in my notes to try in the future when I'm much braver. ;-)

I have similar symptoms and I found out that the anti-static sheets I throw in the dryer with my clothes was the problem. A sort of allergic reaction I guess.

I stopped using all products containing chemicals over 30 years ago, so it's definitely not that for me.

The initial rash was poison oak, which may have triggered a severe hive reaction (but the hives could have also come from the DHA/EPA supplement I had been trying). Since the initial severe rash and hives, I had a very mild case of hives that was sticking around a bit. Now I have another, much smaller, case of poison oak starting. Since it's a small case of it, it's easier to see/determine it is, indeed, poison oak. I'm assuming this second, milder case is either coming from giving affection to my daughter's dog who must be brushing against poison oak at times during her walks, or from a towel that was cleaned, but still contained traces of the poison oil.

Regardless of how it started, I am so grateful the severeness of it has finally gone away. I think if my immune system was doing better, this never would have gotten so severe or lasted this long.