• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where to purchase GcMAF

rodgergrummidge

I buy my GcMAF from gcmaf.eu out of Belgium, I can order it over the phone and pay with a credit card for shipment to US. My ME CFS Doctor had ordered the Nagalase test from the Belgium Lab and it was 1.9, after twenty injections it has dropped to 1.10. I think the normal range for Nagalase is 0.35 - 0.95. Hope this helps, I have not followed all the threads. Brain Fog today X10!

Below is a summary of some of the issues regarding the clinical evidence behind GcMAF treatment. I am tagging a few people @Mij @xandolf @Nico @Symptomatic @BossmanPL @Ali @inester7 @lemonsnlyme @BenFromNZ @Olena @Vox @fullofbeans @Jesse2233 that might find discussion of the potential risks and dangers of GcMAF injections in the treatment of CFS.

GcMAF: what is it and how does it work? Macrophages are white cells that patrol the blood stream for foreign pathogens such as bacteria and fungi. Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor (GcMAF) is a naturally occurring sugar-coated protein (glycoprotein) that stimulates macrophages to find, engage and destroy foreign pathogens. The claims are that GcMAF could be used as an immunotherapy to spur macrophages into action and destroy cancer cells or virus-infected cells. It is also claimed that it is perfectly safe as it is a natural substance found in our bodies. So, does it work?

GcMAF therapies in humans: A number of publications have reported that GcMAF has remarkable curative activities in a range of conditions including cancer and viral infections. The hype around GcMAF arose in 2008 from a series of studies by lead author, Yamamoto, examining prostate (Transl Oncol 1:65–72), colorectal (Cancer Immunol Immunother 57:1007–1016) and breast (Int J Cancer 122:461–467) cancer. These publications reported quite spectacular anti-tumor responses in patients treated with GcMAF. For example, the authors claimed remarkable cures in human clinical trials where “weekly administrations of 100 ng GcMAF to metastatic adenocarcinoma (breast and prostate cancer) patients (n=32) and metastatic colorectal cancer patients eradicate tumors in 16–25 weeks and 32–50 weeks, respectively”.( Journal of Medical Virology 81:16–26 (2009) Later in 2009, an additional paper from the same investigators claimed that GcMAF could be used as an immunotherapy to cure HIV patients.( J Med Virol. 2009 Jan;81(1):16-26)

These findings suggested a major breakthrough in cancer and viral biology. But, could GcMAF really cure cancers, HIV, perhaps even CFS?

Unfortunately no.

In 2014, the validity of several Yamamoto papers where patients were injected with GcMAF in clinical trials were questioned in a publication authored by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus. In their review, Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus identified serious concerns not only in the claims that GcMAF has clinical activity, but also in the safety of the drug ( Cancer Immunol Immunother (2014) 63:1347–1348). Their assessment focussed on 3 publications by the Yamamoto labs where GcMAF was examined in colon, prostate and breast cancer patients. (Cancer Immunol Immunother 57:1007–1016 ; Transl Oncol 1:65–72 ; Int J Cancer 122:461–467). Concerns were detailed including i) how the research was conducted, ii) the interpretation of results and the iii) ethics of conducting human trials with GcMAF.

Are the issues identified by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus really that bad? The concerns and oversights in the data supporting the use of GcMADF identified by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus are not minor and have important ramifications for anyone contemplating using GcMAF. They state that the claims that GcMAF is safe is “wrong and dangerous”. Furthermore, there are no other published studies that clearly demonstrate the safety or toxicity of GcMAF in humans. The deficiencies were so significant that they led to the retraction of 2 papers reporting that 1) GcMAF could cure HIV patients with no evidence of toxicity (J Med Virol. 2009 Jan;81(1):16-26) and 2) GcMAF could cure colorectal cancers (Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy July 2008, Volume 57, Issue 7, pp 1007–1016).

GcMAF following the Yamamoto retractions: More recently, a number of reports that GcMAF can be used to treat a range of disorders including multiple sclerosis, thyroid cancer and breast cancer (ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3771-3774 (2016)(ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3767-3770 (2016)(J Cancer Res Ther. 2015 Oct-Dec;11(4):1041)(ANTICANCER RESEARCH 34: 4589-4594 (2014). However, data in these papers supporting the therapeutic activity of GcMAF is extremely limited and not clinically convincing. For example, in a report where GcMAF was given to an MS patient, the findings were reported as a series of photographs of the patient performing various tasks. No clinical measurements of any specific MS symptom or biomarker nor were any biochemical blood analysis performed. Potential toxicities or adverse reactions were not specifically assessed. (ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3771-3774 (2016)

Other groups have treated larger cohorts of cancer patients (n=20) with GcMAF, however, like the studies of Yamamoto, standard measurements of tumor growth and regression were not made and so the actual anti-tumor activity of GcMAF cannot be determined. Unfortunately, unscrupulous practitioners and internet gurus have used the questionable findings of the Yamamoto labs and other labs to spruik GcMAF for the treatment of a range of conditions including viral infections, MS and CFS. Now, there are many internet sites selling and promoting GcMAF injections as a miracle cure for a whole range of ailments.

“So what? I don’t care about the science. Some practitioners are really positive about the potential of GcMAF for CFS. I’ve tried everything and nothing has worked so far. I’m desperate and will try anything. And its natural!! What could be the harm?” I know the feeling. But it is precisely this desperation that is preyed upon by the unscrupulous. GcMAF is expensive, but even with no published evidence that it works in CFS, it is a lucrative cash-pot for those selling it. Don’t be mis-led, there are considerable dangers in self-medicating by injection of human proteins. The argument that GcMAF is safe because its natural, ignores what has been long understood regarding the potential clinical toxicities and adverse reactions that can occur when ‘natural’ human proteins are injected as therapeutics. Without careful and rigorous testing in human trials injecting human proteins can be dangerous, perhaps even lethal (eg. check out the well documented toxicities that have occurred with specific preparations of insulin, growth hormome and epinephrine). Clinical practitioners with good training will be aware of these significant risks. They should also be able to assess the lack of high quality clinical data supporting the use of GcMAF injections for CFS or other diseases. One can only imagine that 'practitioners' willing to treat patients with GcMAF injections are aware of these issues but are willing to ignore the risks.

Some questions to ask your practitioner/supplier of GcMAF. In any treatment, it is important to balance the risks and potential benefits. GcMAF is no different. With no published clinical evidence that GcMAF can be used to treat CFS, the substantial risks involved in injecting the GcMAF protein clearly outweigh (in my opinion) any unlikely benefit. However, many CFS sufferers indicate in these forums that they are going to ‘give GcMAF a try’. It should be understood that GcMAF is not just a simple vitamin supplement taken orally. It is a human protein that is injected and so carries significant risks. So I thought it might be useful to list some of the key questions that any CFS sufferer should ask themselves and their practitioners before embarking on the GcMAF road.

Was the GcMAF glycoprotein made in a GMP facility that is subject to TGA or FDA regulations? If not, how are you assured of the actual doses, potency, contaminants and toxicities of the batch of GcMAF purchased? What is the clinical evidence for the doses recommended? Dont just rely on liability statements at the bottom of order forms Demand the actual clinical data. Is the GcMAF purified from human serum and if so, has it been screened for correct folding, possible infectious agents and complement activating agents? If not, there are significant risks. If the GcMAF is recombinant, how did the manufacturers determine whether the protein is correctly folded and the sugar attachments are the same as those in the normal GcMAF human protein? Those who claim that just because the GcMAF is ‘natural’ it must be safe do not understand how the immune system can respond to the injection of 'natural' proteins. If any aspect of the purchased GcMAF differs in its folding, sugar attachments or sequence, it may be recognized by your immune system as being foreign and generate ‘auto-antibodies’ to GcMAF. Thus, can your supplier provide clinical data that the specific GcMAF that you are injecting will not be recognized by your immune system as being foreign (which can occur when injecting human proteins) and generate ‘auto-antibodies’ to GcMAF? Could such auto-antibodies block your ability to produce your own GcMAF and so reduce the longer-term ability of your macrophages to fight infections? Can your supplier provide you with clinical data documenting toxicities, likely adverse reactions, and efficacy?

I hope that this overview is helpful for those contemplating possible GcMAF injections for the treatment of CFS and other diseases.

Rodger

BenFromNZ

I just looked up a company who used to sell a Vitamin D binding protein (VDB) (Another term for a form of GcMAF). Last time I looked they weren't selling the products and they told me via email that they had been ordered to stop selling but were working with their lawyers and hoping to be able to sell them again in the future.

Anyway, they are back and you can buy the VDB in drop form or cream. It is worth noting that they were listed as the manufacturers of MAFActive cream.

They seem to have a competitor to Rerum called Omnia (has all the same ingredients) and seems to be a lot cheaper - might be worth checking it out. Also they are in the UK

Here's the website:
http://www.cytoinnovations.com

Last edited:

fireflymd

I tried a GcMAF cream called GlycoPlus. Tried every strength. ZERO benefit noted.

The only people reporting benefit were the ones who were selling it. Caveat emptor.

I'm posting this for my friend who is too sick to post. Please can you give me some info. thanks.

Can he purchase the gcmaf himself or does he have to actually see a doctor who uses it?
He lives in S. California.

Does it all come from Europe? Because he's heard people say you can get it from italy, japan, israel etc. but no concrete address etc.

He also wants to do the nagalese test.

thank you
,,,,,,,,,,, MAF878 is a probiotic starter mixture that replicates in either yoghurt or agar for those lactose sensative.
go to MAF878.com for further details

I just looked up a company who used to sell a Vitamin D binding protein (VDB) (Another term for a form of GcMAF). Last time I looked they weren't selling the products and they told me via email that they had been ordered to stop selling but were working with their lawyers and hoping to be able to sell them again in the future.

Anyway, they are back and you can buy the VDB in drop form or cream. It is worth noting that they were listed as the manufacturers of MAFActive cream.

They seem to have a competitor to Rerum called Omnia (has all the same ingredients) and seems to be a lot cheaper - might be worth checking it out. Also they are in the UK

Here's the website:
http://www.cytoinnovations.com

go to MAF878.com for further details

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
Below is a summary of some of the issues regarding the clinical evidence behind GcMAF treatment. I am tagging a few people @Mij @xandolf @Nico @Symptomatic @BossmanPL @Ali @inester7 @lemonsnlyme @BenFromNZ @Olena @Vox @fullofbeans @Jesse2233 that might find discussion of the potential risks and dangers of GcMAF injections in the treatment of CFS.

GcMAF: what is it and how does it work? Macrophages are white cells that patrol the blood stream for foreign pathogens such as bacteria and fungi. Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor (GcMAF) is a naturally occurring sugar-coated protein (glycoprotein) that stimulates macrophages to find, engage and destroy foreign pathogens. The claims are that GcMAF could be used as an immunotherapy to spur macrophages into action and destroy cancer cells or virus-infected cells. It is also claimed that it is perfectly safe as it is a natural substance found in our bodies. So, does it work?

GcMAF therapies in humans: A number of publications have reported that GcMAF has remarkable curative activities in a range of conditions including cancer and viral infections. The hype around GcMAF arose in 2008 from a series of studies by lead author, Yamamoto, examining prostate (Transl Oncol 1:65–72), colorectal (Cancer Immunol Immunother 57:1007–1016) and breast (Int J Cancer 122:461–467) cancer. These publications reported quite spectacular anti-tumor responses in patients treated with GcMAF. For example, the authors claimed remarkable cures in human clinical trials where “weekly administrations of 100 ng GcMAF to metastatic adenocarcinoma (breast and prostate cancer) patients (n=32) and metastatic colorectal cancer patients eradicate tumors in 16–25 weeks and 32–50 weeks, respectively”.( Journal of Medical Virology 81:16–26 (2009) Later in 2009, an additional paper from the same investigators claimed that GcMAF could be used as an immunotherapy to cure HIV patients.( J Med Virol. 2009 Jan;81(1):16-26)

These findings suggested a major breakthrough in cancer and viral biology. But, could GcMAF really cure cancers, HIV, perhaps even CFS?

Unfortunately no.

In 2014, the validity of several Yamamoto papers where patients were injected with GcMAF in clinical trials were questioned in a publication authored by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus. In their review, Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus identified serious concerns not only in the claims that GcMAF has clinical activity, but also in the safety of the drug ( Cancer Immunol Immunother (2014) 63:1347–1348). Their assessment focussed on 3 publications by the Yamamoto labs where GcMAF was examined in colon, prostate and breast cancer patients. (Cancer Immunol Immunother 57:1007–1016 ; Transl Oncol 1:65–72 ; Int J Cancer 122:461–467). Concerns were detailed including i) how the research was conducted, ii) the interpretation of results and the iii) ethics of conducting human trials with GcMAF.

Are the issues identified by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus really that bad? The concerns and oversights in the data supporting the use of GcMADF identified by Ugarte, Bouche and Meheus are not minor and have important ramifications for anyone contemplating using GcMAF. They state that the claims that GcMAF is safe is “wrong and dangerous”. Furthermore, there are no other published studies that clearly demonstrate the safety or toxicity of GcMAF in humans. The deficiencies were so significant that they led to the retraction of 2 papers reporting that 1) GcMAF could cure HIV patients with no evidence of toxicity (J Med Virol. 2009 Jan;81(1):16-26) and 2) GcMAF could cure colorectal cancers (Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy July 2008, Volume 57, Issue 7, pp 1007–1016).

GcMAF following the Yamamoto retractions: More recently, a number of reports that GcMAF can be used to treat a range of disorders including multiple sclerosis, thyroid cancer and breast cancer (ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3771-3774 (2016)(ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3767-3770 (2016)(J Cancer Res Ther. 2015 Oct-Dec;11(4):1041)(ANTICANCER RESEARCH 34: 4589-4594 (2014). However, data in these papers supporting the therapeutic activity of GcMAF is extremely limited and not clinically convincing. For example, in a report where GcMAF was given to an MS patient, the findings were reported as a series of photographs of the patient performing various tasks. No clinical measurements of any specific MS symptom or biomarker nor were any biochemical blood analysis performed. Potential toxicities or adverse reactions were not specifically assessed. (ANTICANCER RESEARCH 36: 3771-3774 (2016)

Other groups have treated larger cohorts of cancer patients (n=20) with GcMAF, however, like the studies of Yamamoto, standard measurements of tumor growth and regression were not made and so the actual anti-tumor activity of GcMAF cannot be determined. Unfortunately, unscrupulous practitioners and internet gurus have used the questionable findings of the Yamamoto labs and other labs to spruik GcMAF for the treatment of a range of conditions including viral infections, MS and CFS. Now, there are many internet sites selling and promoting GcMAF injections as a miracle cure for a whole range of ailments.

“So what? I don’t care about the science. Some practitioners are really positive about the potential of GcMAF for CFS. I’ve tried everything and nothing has worked so far. I’m desperate and will try anything. And its natural!! What could be the harm?” I know the feeling. But it is precisely this desperation that is preyed upon by the unscrupulous. GcMAF is expensive, but even with no published evidence that it works in CFS, it is a lucrative cash-pot for those selling it. Don’t be mis-led, there are considerable dangers in self-medicating by injection of human proteins. The argument that GcMAF is safe because its natural, ignores what has been long understood regarding the potential clinical toxicities and adverse reactions that can occur when ‘natural’ human proteins are injected as therapeutics. Without careful and rigorous testing in human trials injecting human proteins can be dangerous, perhaps even lethal (eg. check out the well documented toxicities that have occurred with specific preparations of insulin, growth hormome and epinephrine). Clinical practitioners with good training will be aware of these significant risks. They should also be able to assess the lack of high quality clinical data supporting the use of GcMAF injections for CFS or other diseases. One can only imagine that 'practitioners' willing to treat patients with GcMAF injections are aware of these issues but are willing to ignore the risks.

Some questions to ask your practitioner/supplier of GcMAF. In any treatment, it is important to balance the risks and potential benefits. GcMAF is no different. With no published clinical evidence that GcMAF can be used to treat CFS, the substantial risks involved in injecting the GcMAF protein clearly outweigh (in my opinion) any unlikely benefit. However, many CFS sufferers indicate in these forums that they are going to ‘give GcMAF a try’. It should be understood that GcMAF is not just a simple vitamin supplement taken orally. It is a human protein that is injected and so carries significant risks. So I thought it might be useful to list some of the key questions that any CFS sufferer should ask themselves and their practitioners before embarking on the GcMAF road.

Was the GcMAF glycoprotein made in a GMP facility that is subject to TGA or FDA regulations? If not, how are you assured of the actual doses, potency, contaminants and toxicities of the batch of GcMAF purchased? What is the clinical evidence for the doses recommended? Dont just rely on liability statements at the bottom of order forms Demand the actual clinical data. Is the GcMAF purified from human serum and if so, has it been screened for correct folding, possible infectious agents and complement activating agents? If not, there are significant risks. If the GcMAF is recombinant, how did the manufacturers determine whether the protein is correctly folded and the sugar attachments are the same as those in the normal GcMAF human protein? Those who claim that just because the GcMAF is ‘natural’ it must be safe do not understand how the immune system can respond to the injection of 'natural' proteins. If any aspect of the purchased GcMAF differs in its folding, sugar attachments or sequence, it may be recognized by your immune system as being foreign and generate ‘auto-antibodies’ to GcMAF. Thus, can your supplier provide clinical data that the specific GcMAF that you are injecting will not be recognized by your immune system as being foreign (which can occur when injecting human proteins) and generate ‘auto-antibodies’ to GcMAF? Could such auto-antibodies block your ability to produce your own GcMAF and so reduce the longer-term ability of your macrophages to fight infections? Can your supplier provide you with clinical data documenting toxicities, likely adverse reactions, and efficacy?

I hope that this overview is helpful for those contemplating possible GcMAF injections for the treatment of CFS and other diseases.

Rodger
This is who I would contact. Candice Bradstreet is the sister of Dr. Bradstreet who was murdered. She gives excellent support and service and has been carrying it a long time. BTW it is NOT injectable. A very knowledgeable geneticist just tried to get it for this purpose for her own health and could not. Talk to her good friend, Candice. https://reactivatedwellness.com/

GcMAF Australia

So what are our current options for gcmaf that seem to be effective?
GcMAF with biopeptides
If based in Australia or New Zealand please use the contact form located at http://www.gcmafproducts.com
https://www.naturalregenesis.net/ for the US and other countries

Unfortunately no.

Rodger

I understand your concerns, and i can certainly relate to them.

However,
1. To do a trial for this could cost maybe $100 m.
2. the retraction of the Yamamoto papers are somewhat controversial in themselves, it seems somewhat like a witch hunt.
3. the statement "It is a human protein that is injected" is no longer valid.
4. GcMAF seems to help a number of people, and there are various forms
5. I cannot vouch for all GcMAF products but the concerns regarding correct folding and sugar attachements are not relevant. I say this because as a research scientist I understand many of the processing steps involved and also a lot about the structure of GcMAF.
6. It seems that much of the commentary above is made without knowledge of the advances in GcMAF technology and without knowledge of some of the results obtained. Have you ever spoken to people producing GcMAF or people involved in GcMAF research like I have?

Personally i will admit that I can always be wrong, but in this case I have spent much time in looking at the science and examining the background behind the withdrawal of a couple of papers.

Many of these questions can also relate to many if not all medical products and treatments. There have been many recalls of FDA and TGA approved medical products for many reasons.

I am quite concerned about the scepticism regarding GcMAF because the science opposing GcMAF is as flawed if not more so than that supporting it.
Furthermore I am upset regarding this matter because my wife died from cancer less than a year ago and I feel the traditional FDA TGA approved drugs are themselves inappropriate.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I understand your concerns, and i can certainly relate to them.
As you probably remember, I am one of those patients who responded well to injected GcMAF at a dose of about 25 ng per week. I have not been able to find a replacement for the product that my doctor made available to me. What are your comments on the availability to well tested and regulated injectable GcMAF that is available at this low dose? The cream has no effect for me.

GcMAF Australia

As you probably remember, I am one of those patients who responded well to injected GcMAF at a dose of about 25 ng per week. I have not been able to find a replacement for the product that my doctor made available to me. What are your comments on the availability to well tested and regulated injectable GcMAF that is available at this low dose? The cream has no effect for me.
Hi Sushi
Yes I remember your communications well.
I have commetend on facebook