• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hillary Johnson to be interviewed on radio on Friday, July 28. Can listen online.

RogerBlack

IMO it's very unlikely that it's contagious/infectious. 1.5-2 million in the US are estimated to have ME/CFS, out of a population of 320 million. If it were contagious, that number would be many times higher,

There is work from Sweden (?) that found that the number of cases of ME/CFS spiked during the 'swine flu' epidemic.
The immune system is in many parts random.

The part of the virus selected by each person to make antibodies against varies. It is at least plausible that the antibodies created by some people to specific parts of specific viruses may also act against specific types of cell in human body, causing issues.

Or some other mechanism.

Forbin

I think it's pretty clear that some of the triggers can be contagious, but, because of the variety of triggers, it also seems like there has to be some kind of predisposition. The predisposition might just be genetic, or a sub-optimal immune system weakened by diet, physical exhaustion, a recent or concurrent infection, or some other kind of stress.

The predisposition might also be some previous infection that occurred well prior to onset. That previous infection might not have been contagious, but still could have been localized by being a communal exposure to something water-borne, or food-borne, or insect-borne. [It's even been suggested that Kawasaki disease in Japan may be linked to an air-borne exposure to fungi from China. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24843117]

So, you could have a situation where lots of people in an area get exposed to something non-contagious in the sense that it is not passing from person to person, but rather is in the water or food supply. That exposure becomes the non-contagious predisposition. Some time later, a truly contagious infection, like influenza, spreads in the community and some of the people with the predisposition get infected and develop ME. This makes the spread of ME look like a contagious localized outbreak, when it is actually only the fairly innocuous trigger that is contagious.

Dolphin

Two more podcasts have been posted:
Truth To Power - 08.11.17
• August 11th, 2017
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the CDC's HIV Ponzi Scheme
In this episode, Charles Ortleb explores the similarities between the Bernie Madoff financial Ponzi Scheme and the deceitful Ponzi-like HIV science of AIDS at the Centers for Disease Control. Ortleb makes the case that the CDC's Ponzi scheme uses HIV fraud to disguise the real AIDS epidemic of HHV-6 diseases that includes the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome pandemic. He argues that the CDC's obsession with gay sex and venereal disease has basically blinded the CDC to the real nature of the AIDS epidemic. The CDC has convinced itself that AIDS is an STD when the real epidemic of HHV-6 (and its related viruses) clearly is not limited to sexual transmission. The CDC has put the health of the whole world at risk. He focuses on the work of the CDC's James Curran, one of the chief architects of the HIV/AIDS paradigm. Curran is now a celebrated Dean at Emory University. Ortleb argues that the CDC HIV Ponzi scheme will not end until the world recognizes the connection between AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Ortleb's books on AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (including one on James Curran) can be found at www.charlesortleb.com.

00:0000:00

Like | Comments | Download(63)
Truth To Power - 08.04.17
• August 4th, 2017
Are AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome the New Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment?
Charles Ortleb, the New York Native publisher who made his newspaper the paper of record on AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, explores the similarities between the racist politics and deceptions of AIDS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment. The author of the first book on the racist politics and science of AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (The Closing Argument https://goo.gl/LPkytF) attempts to explain why Peter Duesberg--the molecular biologist who debunked the science of HIV--was not able to bring down the AIDS establishment's house of cards. Why wasn't Peter Duesberg as successful as Peter Buxtun, the man who was credited with ending the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? Why haven't Peter Duesberg's cogent arguments against the HIV theory of AIDS opened up an international inquiry into the role of HHV-6 in AIDS and the disturbing connections between the AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome epidemics? All of Charles Ortleb's books are at www.charlesortleb.com

00:0000:00

Like | Comments | Download(89)

Dolphin

https://truthtopower.podbean.com/e/truth-to-power-081817/

Why are Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients infected with the AIDS-associated Kaposi's Sarcoma Virus? Did it come from pigs?

Why are the CDC, the NIH, and the entire scientific establishment ignoring research that shows Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients are often infected with the very destructive, cancer-causing virus that has been linked to the most dramatic symptom of the early AIDS cases, Kaposi's Sarcoma? Charles Ortleb discusses how the Kaposi's Sarcoma virus (HHV-8) may be linked to the explosive epidemic of African Swine Fever Virus (ASFV) in pigs that is now spreading in Eastern Europe and may soon reach Germany, France, and England. Ortleb discusses important unreported new evidence that African Swine Fever Virus can infect humans. He points out that Sardinia, which already has a major African Swine Fever virus epidemic in its pigs and a major epidemic of the Kaposi's Sarcoma virus in people, may hold the keys to understanding the interconnections between Kaposi's Sarcoma, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, AIDS, and African Swine Fever. Charles Ortleb is the author of Pig: A Memoir (https://goo.gl/XEBMfC), an Orwellian novel about the politics and science of human and porcine diseases. More information about all of Ortleb's books that explore the biomedical politics of AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are at www.CharlesOrtleb.com The closing song of this show, "Language is War," can be heard on Spotify: https://goo.gl/Fk4Hhc

Stuart

I can't listen to or download the broadcast, too bad there is no transcript. Ortleb seems to be a bit fringe in his theories.

On ME as infectious I would have thought we were well past that with over 80 outbreaks and both horizontal and vertical transmission shown. Healthy patient cells put in ME patient sera become 'sick.'

I had posted many times in the past about both the Tahoe outbreak as well as the 1934 outbreak in five California counties of 'atypical polio.' Tahoe also went on in a series of outbreaks to neighboring communities and down into California in the Bay area over several years.

Each outbreak I think has its own view, Hyde, Bell, Cheney and Peterson will have their own and from each of their outbreak experiences. Ramsey is very significant as the benchmark for when the first definition, diagnostic, and name was given to what was seen at the Royal Free Hospital.

I do think that epidemiology to track back in time, either by 'cellular clock' or 'patient zero' is important, there was a good program which reviewed that for HIV/AIDS (Radiolab). There has been no such epidemiology effort for ME.

It was my experience in reviewing family history that lead me to see that my great grandfather had died in an infectious disease ward in 1934, and my grandfather ill with what was labeled then as 'atypical polio' to find out the other historical events of that time.

I found that five counties in California had an epidemic of that 'atypical polio.' This only two years after a serious outbreak in 1932 of polio that scared the public and put public officials in a panic.

In 1934 medical officials from the Rockefeller Foundation and Yale Medical came to the largest hospital in the world at the time, the Los Angeles County General Hospital. They were greeted with fanfare and were there to run experiments using monkeys to isolate the polio virus and find an effective vaccine.

Meanwhile Dr Brody who had also been funded by the Rockefeller Foundation had the first trial polio vaccine and was crossing the country giving it to thousands of test subjects, often children. He would arrive in California and many lined up to get the vaccine.

What is known is documented by the United States Health Agencies sending out an investigator, his report (Gilliam) was delayed for two years until it was agreed to leave out references to the vaccines. Dr. Hyde decades later also interviewed two of the surviving doctors and some family members of the outbreak victims.

What made the investigation crucial was likely the fact that 198 staff of the Los Angeles County General Hospital became ill and then disabled by the 'atypical polio' illness. They had documented their illness and would win a closed settlement of $6M that would be over $200M currently, 'enough to afford each of them three new homes in a nice Los Angeles suburb' - way more than $200M today.

While the team from Yale had used monkeys, Brody has passaged the virus through the brains of mice 100 times. With what is known today this xenotransplantation of human tissue into animals and back to humans carries risks. The Rockefeller Foundation had an extraordinary withdrawal of $7M at the time of the LACGH staff settlement.

Dr. Paul Offit a modern proponent of vaccination and patent holder would write a paper saying that this history jeopardized the entire future of vaccination. While the risk / benefit of vaccines both in particular and in general remains debated, there was no debate that the early Brody polio vaccine was a disaster, multiple deaths of children in the trial occurred and another polio vaccine trial would not occur for two decades.

From a family history, my great grandfather was a public official in the San Francisco bay area, my grandfather worked in the same office and would be elected to replace him after his death. Later my grandfather was diagnosed with 'post polio syndrome' while never truly having polio, but the odd 'atypical' version.

In retirement he would move in the late 1970s to a small community called Incline Village in Nevada and build a house five blocks from the lake at Lake Tahoe. The local Internist offices of Dr's Peterson and Cheney not more than a mile away would become his medical home. It would be here that visiting my grandparents with my father, both he and I would become ill for months, and my mother later would become ill having tended for us.

My aunt and cousins lived in Tahoe around this time as well and would go on to have classic mysterious neuro immune health issues.

The debate should not be whether ME is an infectious disease, but the origin and nature of the pathogen, an epidemiological analysis would lead one back to the first outbreak, and the first trial of Brody's live attenuated polio vaccine passaged through the brains of mice and injected into thousands of subjects, including LACGH staff, leading to a very large sealed settlement.

Recent publications:

Does the microbiome and virome contribute to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome?

http://www.clinsci.org/content/132/5/523

" Important clues for the involvement of (viral) infections in the aetiology of ME/CFS can be obtained from historical reports of epidemic or sporadic outbreaks of cases; the first of which was reported in 1934 in a suspected epidemic of poliomyelitis in Los Angeles, California [75,76]. The inconsistent disease pattern observed in patients led doctors to classify this epidemic as atypical; differing from polio cases endemic at the time by the lack of flaccid paralysis, which normally defines poliomyelitis [77]. Additionally, the affected cases were mainly older children and young adults compared with polio which affected infants and children of less than 5 years of age [78]. The disease at the onset consisted of an acute upper respiratory tract infection accompanied by muscle weakness, fever, pain, malaise and photophobia. The patients reported recurrence of fever and other symptoms during recovery, which were at a greater incidence than those in typical epidemic poliomyelitis [76].

A similar apparent epidemic of poliomyelitis appeared in Akureyri, Iceland between 1948 and 1949. There were striking similarities between this outbreak of atypical poliomyelitis and the one recorded in Los Angeles in 1934, including both overlapping symptoms and occurrence of relapse. This disease was named Iceland (or Akureyri) disease [79]. Sixty-one other outbreaks of a similar disease were reported worldwide between 1934 and 1990 [75]. The most significant outbreak was in 1955 at the Royal Free Hospital in London, where 292 hospital staff were affected by the illness. The disease when fully developed showed features of a generalized infection with involvement of the lymphoreticular system, and widespread involvement of the central nervous system. The mysterious polio-like illness (including the disease at the Royal Free Hospital) was renamed ME and later extended to CFS (ME/CFS) to include a seemingly identical disease [80,81]. "

Myalgic encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome: An infectious disease

http://www.clinsci.org/content/ppclinsci/132/5/523.full.pdf
www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(15)00382-5/fulltext

"
Occurrence of cluster outbreaks
ME/CFS is globally endemic as sporadic cases and occasional cluster outbreaks. The names, myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome were coined to describe two outbreaks of an infectious disease in London, UK in 1955 [37] and a clinically similar disease in Nevada, USA in 1984 [6]. Sixty-one other outbreaks of a similar disease were reported worldwide between 1934 and 1990 [10]. Different names were given to these outbreaks: e.g., epidemic diagnosed as poliomyelitis, Los Angeles, USA, (1934); Iceland disease, Iceland, (1948); Royal Free disease, London, UK, (1955), (later named benign myalgic encephalomyelitis); epidemic neuromyasthenia, Florida, USA, (1957); Tapanui flu, New Zealand, (1983); chronic Epstein Barr virus syndrome (later named chronic fatigue syndrome), Nevada, USA, (1984); Lyndonville outbreak, NY, USA, (1985) [10]. A further outbreak occurred in Bergen, Norway, (2004) in 5% of patients who had previously been infected in an epidemic of Giardia enteritis [38]. Most physicians only see patients with sporadic ME/CFS, and most research studies have only included patients with sporadic ME/CFS and the occurrence of outbreaks of ME/CFS has often been forgotten or ignored. The occurrence of cluster outbreaks implies an infectious disease and outbreaks may occur when the virulence of the pathogen is increased or population (herd) immunity is decreased. "

" Pathogens are more likely to be found when actively replicating. This usually occurs early in the disease, in a relapse and possibly in extremely debilitated patients. The presence of confounding, secondary,
opportunistic or reactivated latent infections are less likely early in the disease. Early diagnosis is possible only in patients in cluster outbreaks. Cluster outbreaks can be identified by the occurrence of more than the expected number of patients with similar symptoms and signs in a geographic area, during a limited time period. Physicians and public health authorities need to be educated about the characteristics of cluster outbreaks and encouraged to report suspected outbreaks to appropriate public health agencies. A new case definition for cluster outbreak patients should be created [110], as the various case definitions for sporadic ME/CFS patients are not useful. Patients may be very ill and it may not be possible e.g., to determine post-exertional symptoms. The requirement for symptoms to be present for six months is
inappropriate.
The search for a pathogen might also include healthy patient contacts who have immune system changes similar to those found in patients with ME/CFS. These healthy patient-contacts may also carry the causal pathogen and may be less likely to harbor confounding secondary infections and activated latent viruses. They could also be studied to determine which immune system responses are correlated with symptoms and which are not.

Conclusions
Substantial epidemiological, clinical and immunological evidence supports the hypothesis that ME/CFS is an infectious disease. ME/CFS is globally endemic, with occasional cluster outbreaks, implying an infectious agent. The clinical illness starts abruptly with a viral-like syndrome in outbreak patients and many sporadic patients and this onset is followed by symptoms characteristic of ME/CFS. Immune system changes in sporadic ME/CFS resemble the changes found in other infectious diseases. Evidence of contagion is shown by secondary cases in outbreaks and suggested by the higher prevalence of ME/CFS in patients’ genetically unrelated family members than in the community. The chronic phase of the
disease does not appear to be particularly infective. Healthy patient-contacts and healthy people from the community surrounding an outbreak showed immune system changes similar to those found in patients, suggesting exposure to the same antigen (a pathogen). The causal pathogen appears to be transmitted by
casual contact. The chronicity of symptoms and immune responses suggest that the pathogen persists in patients. An apparent population of healthy carriers may be able to shed the pathogen. Only a minority of close patient-contacts develop the illness. Factors found to increase host susceptibility include: being a family member of a patient; age; female gender; race; rest/exercise; exposure to stress or toxins; recent previous illnesses; and occupational exposure of healthcare professionals. Confirmation of the hypothesis
requires identification of the causal pathogen. Future research should include a search for known and unknown pathogens. "

dannybex

@Stuart, you didn't miss anything. To make a long story short, Johnson believes ME/CFS is caused by the HHV-6 virus, which to me doesn't make any sense, since over 95% of people older than 2 years of age are positive for either or both HHV-6 variants, yet they're not sick.

She's also best buds with Charles Ortleb, who, besides also agreeing that HHV-6 is the cause of ME/CFS, also believes it's implicated in HIV and other diseases. In fact he dismisses the fact that AIDS is caused by the HIV virus, something he might want to run by the millions of HIV-positive patients who have been back to work for over 20 years, thanks to HIV cocktails. Ortleb believes in the tripe perpetuated by the long-discredited Peter Duesberg, who thinks AIDS is caused by recreational drug use.

She also calls ME/CFS a 'pandemic', even though the estimates stand at about 1 to 1.5 million sick in the US, out of a population of 325 million. Compare that to the Spanish flu, which killed over 500 million in 1918.

Johnson also wrote the forward to Judy Mikovits self-serving conspiracy 'novel' Plague, where Mikovits claims 'they' stopped her work because she was on to the truth, which IMO is nonsense. That Johnson would write the forward is truly confounding.

Don't get me wrong, she did a great service to the community by reporting on all the crap that was going on w/the CDC and various agencies back in the 1990's, but it seems like she's stuck back there as well. It seems she negates anyone -- including the work of Jen Brea -- who doesn't agree with her or include her name/work in their documentaries. Pretty sad...

Personally, I don't believe it's contagious. It it were, tens of millions would be sick by now. They aren't.

xrayspex

@Stuart, you didn't miss anything. To make a long story short, Johnson believes ME/CFS is caused by the HHV-6 virus, which to me doesn't make any sense, since over 95% of people older than 2 years of age are positive for either or both HHV-6 variants, yet they're not sick.

She's also best buds with Charles Ortleb, who, besides also agreeing that HHV-6 is the cause of ME/CFS, also believes it's implicated in HIV and other diseases. In fact he dismisses the fact that AIDS is caused by the HIV virus, something he might want to run by the millions of HIV-positive patients who have been back to work for over 20 years, thanks to HIV cocktails. Ortleb believes in the tripe perpetuated by the long-discredited Peter Duesberg, who thinks AIDS is caused by recreational drug use.

She also calls ME/CFS a 'pandemic', even though the estimates stand at about 1 to 1.5 million sick in the US, out of a population of 325 million. Compare that to the Spanish flu, which killed over 500 million in 1918.

Johnson also wrote the forward to Judy Mikovits self-serving conspiracy 'novel' Plague, where Mikovits claims 'they' stopped her work because she was on to the truth, which IMO is nonsense. That Johnson would write the forward is truly confounding.

Don't get me wrong, she did a great service to the community by reporting on all the crap that was going on w/the CDC and various agencies back in the 1990's, but it seems like she's stuck back there as well. It seems she negates anyone -- including the work of Jen Brea -- who doesn't agree with her or include her name/work in their documentaries. Pretty sad...

Personally, I don't believe it's contagious. It it were, tens of millions would be sick by now. They aren't.
interesting I didn't know Mikovitz wrote a book......thanks for that info will have to look into it. I don't know if CFS/ME contagious but have wondered if it is that perhaps it manifests differently in some people perhaps as cancer or MS or depression...depending on genetic factors.....I had heard that years ago about addiction that some people a gene will manifest as alcoholism and in someone else eating disorder or mood issue etc......I figured that could be a reason the CDC in the 80s suppressed things (besides incompetence, sociological denial and indifference) because they didn't want a panic on their hands. I did wonder if I was exposed to something on a plane in the late 80s when I went to Arizona...it would have fit with events/risks in Hilary's book