• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help getting an "excuse" to see a hematologist

waif

Hi All,

I have chronically low TIBC on my iron panels and very low ferritn which points to "anemia of chronic disease"
but my gastro, other doctors don't take it seriously enough to officially refer me to a hematologist

I don't "need" referral to see a hematologist with my health insurance.

how can I make sure a hematologist will even see me/take me seriously? any advice is appreciated. thank you!

I'm in the Atlanta area but I'm afraid saying "I have a low tibc" won't get me an appointment anywhere

barbc56

Thr low ferritin might get you in to see a hematologist. Some doctors don't realize the importance of low ferritin. A hematologist hopefully should.

I would also explain that that you are concerned about your gastric problem affecting your absorption of iron. There's a test for thiis but a hematologist should be able to see the whole picture.

Also listing any symptoms of anemia and explaning that you want to check if this is causing a problem.

Go by the symptoms and I would recommend not mentioning me/cfs. I'm not positive this is advisable, so others will hopefully give there opinion.

I see a hematologist for low ferritin and because I don't absorb iron I occasionally need an infusion of iron.

Good luck and us posted.

Last edited:

waif

thank you! Good point. I think I'm too focused on the TIBC.

What would you consider "low ferritn"?

My ferritin goes between 19 and 25. Last I tested it was 25 but I got my period a few days later so I imagine it dropped a few points.

A few years ago I went to a GP, not a good one obviously, and her and her assistant seemed JEALOUS of my ferritin. And my gastro said that with my low TIBC, only take small amounts of iron, instead of going to a hematologist which ticked me off. My TIBC tested at 250 and the literal bottom of the range is 250 so I'm "normal."

I won't mention cfs, but I have ehlers danlos syndrome and numb hands, fatigue, brain fog. I hate having to mention eds..but it's i also have hair loss which is definitely a sx not associated with eds.

barbc56

Many hematologist recommend a ferritin level of 50. However this is dependent on your health. I have RLS and the recommended level, if I remember correctly is 120.

You do have other health problems that might be worth mentioning.

Doesn't Atlanta have a lot of healthhealth centers? My daughter lives close by and has excellent doctors but I don't know if that is specific to her situation or a general rule.

I am not a medical professional so please keep that in mind with any suggestions I make.

waif

GOOD NEWS

i avoided checking messages from my gastro for a few days because i was stressed out, didn't want to deal with it, i'm sure you all can relate to this feeling. and i logged today in and she gave me a referral. so i think my 1 point argument actually worked. wooohoo.

now i have to prepare to demand certain tests to check out the tibc.