• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ignorant pediatrics

There's something on my heart I wanted to talk about.

Back in 2014 I slowly came down with cfs after having had shingles. My energy level gradually got worse so I started telling my at that time pediatrics how I felt and asking them what I could do about it. When I first told them, they just said it's normal for teenagers to be tired since your body is developing. But it never ever got any better, I was just getting more exhausted.

So I told them again. And again. And again. The only thing they told me was to get more exercise. So I tried and ended up being even more tired for the rest of the day. I told them multiple times and my mother someday told them that doctors suspect her of having fibromyalgia and that my symptoms seem familiar to her. Since she also has mental health problems, they outrageously asked her if I might just see her being tired daily so I copy her.

That was the last time I went to these doctors, should have made this decision way earlier.

The reaction to my problems made both my mum and me very upset. Luckily at that time I started believing I might have cfs after I got to know a friend. She told me about her symptoms and I was the first one who understood her and vise versa. Her parents are doctors and diagnosed her. So I went to be treated by her mother.

She then examined me and did all kinds of test to rule out anything that could possibly be the cause of my fatigue, brain fog, weakness, air hunger etc. She found out that in addition to a mild case of cfs, I also had a severe vitamin d deficiency. My pediatrics never even tested my iron, b12 or vitamin d level. Not even after looking like death on two legs and telling them 10,000 times how fatigued I am.

What I wanted to tell you is to leave you're doctor immediately if you have a similar experience. If you know someone else who struggles with cfs symptoms and doesn't seem to get proper help, tell them to look up a new doctor and especially if your child suffers and your pediatrics are very passive about it, don't wait a second.

Ignorant doctors are a very big issue and will make you think you're crazy and that you're just mentally impaired and therefore tired all the time. Don't waste your time on hoping they will give you a solution. Become active yourself.

xxx