• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) reduce inflammation?

flitza

That is certainly possible. LDN may work for ME/CFS because it:
blocks TLR-4 on microglia
increases levels of met-enkephalin (opioid growth factor) and its receptor
• blocks the mu-opioid, delta-opioid and kappa-opioid receptors for a short while (thought to up-regulate endorphins)
• has an effect the nociceptin system
• may reduce peroxynitrite and may thereby increase astrocyte glutamate transport

It might be an interesting experiment for ME/CFS patients who do well on LDN to try taking hyaluronic acid supplements instead. Hyaluronic acid also reduces microglial activation by a TLR-4 receptor mechanism. 1 If similar benefits to LDN were obtained with hyaluronic acid, that would perhaps suggest that TLR-4 is involved in mediating LDN's benefits in ME/CFS.

Ibudilast (a Japanese drug) also inhibits TLR-4. 1

A comprehensive list of microglia activation inhibitors is given in this post.

Note that LDN may not work unless you also take vitamin D3.
Interesting idea, Hip about the hyaluronic acid. The only problem would be getting someone responding to LDN to stop it in order to try the HA. ;). Of course one could try it in addition.

Hip

Interesting idea, Hip about the hyaluronic acid. The only problem would be getting someone responding to LDN to stop it in order to try the HA. ;). Of course one could try it in addition.

The problem with hyaluronic acid is bioavailability: I read that it is broken down in the gut by the stomach acid, and so does not enter the circulation. But there are conflicting views on this, so it's hard to find the truth of the matter. Possibly taking hyaluronic acid on an empty stomach with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any acid may solve this problem.

The other issue is the difference between low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. Both are available, but they have different effects. The one used in this study on TLR-4 is high molecular weight. High molecular weight hyaluronic acid also has antiviral effects.

flitza

The problem with hyaluronic acid is bioavailability: I read that it is broken down in the gut by the stomach acid, and so does not enter the circulation. But there are conflicting views on this, so it's hard to find the truth of the matter. Possibly taking hyaluronic acid on an empty stomach with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any acid may solve this problem.

The other issue is the difference between low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. Both are available, but they have different effects. The one used in this study on TLR-4 is high molecular weight. High molecular weight hyaluronic acid also has antiviral effects.
It can be given sub-q.

Hip

It can be given sub-q.

I am not sure. Some years ago when I tried hyaluronic acid, I was using doses of around 500 mg mixed with water and applied to a large area of body skin in order to try to absorb it. There may have been some benefits in terms of reduced fatigue and reduced PEM.