• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to lower norepinephrine

"I think all the supplements I'm taking now are just bandaids" <---- This!

Note I left out the sleep part, since while important for sure, it alone will not likely fix the many symptoms you have discussed in your posts.

And yes what you describe about driving yourself on the computer is a dead NE giveaway. Fortunately it is a more benign stage. It can get much worse leading to big crashes once the adrenals cave. And no most chronic stimulation of NE release is from the ANS and is not sourced in the adrenals. This is a common misconception. You have to find why the NE rushes. Less sleep certainly tips it the wrong way but sleep alone won't get you out of it.

And the whole point of NE is ... the body compensating for severe or chronic fatigue unless of course a true fight of flight response. Look at it another way a person with a dysregulated constant immune system attack (autoimmune or infectious) is essentially in a long perpetual state of fight or flight. Your body when sick would love for you to do nothing, lay around all day, sleep and do zip. But that is not how life works. The problem is over time if not corrected the sensitivity of the demands for no stress or lot of rest get higher and higher and the penalties in terms of NE get worse and worse until a person crashes. By then the adrenals are kaput if things go far enough.

NE may correlate with other adrenal dysfunction. But 9 /10 times you have to look at the immune system. That is where the command override authority sits. The other 1/10 are endemic neurotransmitter imbalances.

Did pregnenolone help you ? Why were you on it? It is the mother hormone. If you are deplete I would forget the GABA / NMDA worries they would be circumstantial in comparison. But I also would not try to self-medicate it without a doctor guiding you. Way to many interconnections. As an aside, my wife is on pregnenolone along with progesterone and estradiol and all her hormones completely balanced out (well except for some Armour thyroid her whole family has issues with). I took her to my same doctor a couple of years ago. She was like totally cured of her imbalances in like 3 visits. I was both happy and ridiculously envious. Sigh.

It is ironic since I should have been powering down hours ago. I have a bad head cold starting. I should be trying to sleep. But I am all full of "fake" energy at the keyboard? Why? NE. I am at that stage where I am still building to the peak. I am not looking forward to Easter weekend. This NE reaction is how my body reacts to inflammation at this point in my life because I spent so much of it getting swarmed by inflammation and ultimately living on NE. It should not be like that. It now usually isn't given the meds I take. But ... yeah ... you see the conundrum, right?

Anyways, now bedtime.

@dbkita
Where are you located? Can you provide the name of your wife's doctor and possibly contact information (phone). You can email me direct or just provide the name and I will look it up. Thanks
gratiasalvi1@gmail.com

What would high urinary dopamine and norepinephrine mean?

I also have high salivary dhea but not in plasma.

Should i try clonidine to sleep or should i do plasma exams first? I have insom ia and anxiety.

I felt well on the day after i took dexametasone (motivated)

I thinking in order to sleep i need to lower norepinephrine somehow. And the dexa experience makes me think i need to suppress thr adrenals?

heyitisjustin

Alpha 2 agonist and the meds shown below (with the exception of cocaine and TCA's) can be helpful.

Which of these have you tried and what was it you were trying to accomplish? Most, if not all of these seem pretty heavy handed and scary to me.

My main problem is sleep, seemingly due to high norepinephrine and histamine (and maybe tyramine). I might want to experiment with Indian snakeroot for its resperine, but this approach still seems like it carries too many risks (most likely me accidentally getting very hypotensive). I will read up on Indian snakeroot in my herb books and try to remember to post back.

Emootje

Which of these have you tried and what was it you were trying to accomplish?
I tried Clonidine (patch) and reserpine (Serpina) to lower what I think are high norepinephrine symptoms (nausea, paleness, sweating, tiredness, ischemic neuropathy and anxiety). Clonidine made me very sleepy and reserpine made me slightly depressed with completely disappearance of my motivation (low dopamine?). Both meds didn't help, maybe I need the high norepinephrine levels to compensate for my low blood volume...

Emootje

Unfortunately Florinef doesn't work for me. IV saline does work but for a very short time (see figure below).
Salin IV.jpg
Fig: improvement of my (nor)adrenaline, renin and aldosterone levels after IV saline (@ 0 min).

heyitisjustin

Unfortunately Florinef doesn't work for me. IV saline does work but for a very short time (see figure below).View attachment 22102 Fig: improvement of my (nor)adrenaline, renin and aldosterone levels after IV saline (@ 0 min).
Thanks for bringing up fluronef (again?). I was on fluronef for a decade and wonder if that is why I slept fine then and/or have NE problems now. Do you know the mechanism by which fluronef decreases NE? Could your body adjust to fluronef and end up with more NE?

heyitisjustin

Florinef increase blood volume > activates baroreceptors > lowers SNS > lowers NE
Thanks again for the in depth knowledge you've dropped.

Is blood volume the same as vasodilation? I am looking for non steroidal alternatives to fluronef. Thus far I've found Dang Gui, cayenne, Ginko and l-arginine. I'm not sure if l-arginine vasodilating properties would help lower NE. What do you think? Can you think of anything else worth trying?

Emootje

Is blood volume the same as vasodilation?
No, but I think there is a correlation... In the kidney most vasodilators causes natriuresis that results in lower blood volume. In the rest of the body prolonged vasodilation causes an increase blood volume especially in the veins and venules because they store most of our blood:

blood_volume_distribution1322101279251.png

I'm not sure if l-arginine vasodilating properties would help lower NE. What do you think?
l-Arginine did nothing for me
Can you think of anything else worth trying?
Fasting/low sugar/starch diet and slow breathing are most helpful for me. Taurine also did helped a bit...

heyitisjustin

l-Arginine did nothing for me

Fasting/low sugar/starch diet and slow breathing are most helpful for me. Taurine also did helped a bit...
Is it the speed of breath or the depth of the breath that helps you? I feel like I have a constriction preventing deep breath, that is why I ask.

Have you tried Dang Gui (Chinese Angelica Root, Radix Angelicae Sinensis)?

Emootje

Is it the speed of breath or the depth of the breath that helps you?
Both, you need to move your diaphragm with deep and slow belly breaths to massage your vagus nerve:

Normally pulse rates (and your SNS) increase with inspiration and decrease with expiration (respiratory sinus arrhythmia), so it also help to extent your exhalation (you could monitor this with a heart rate watch).
Have you tried Dang Gui (Chinese Angelica Root, Radix Angelicae Sinensis)?
I did but can't remember any effect, it suppose to increase epo, so it's good for your RBC mass.

virtual

Traveller
Olive Leaf Extract has been quite effective for me.
Hmm, I believed oleuropein will raise adrenaline and noradrenaline both. I have to invest some time. I believe there was a study. But maybe I am wrong. MAO inhibitor?

Last edited: