• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reacting differently to herbs?

outdamnspot

Has anyone here found that their reactions to herbs change over time?

I was doing well on Symbioflor 2, until I ran out a few weeks ago. I decided to try Symbioflor 1, but didn't notice anything (good or bad) from it). After that, my adrenals crashed badly and I was noticing shortness of breath, weakness, poorer stress tolerance etc. I decided to rotate back onto Haritaki, since I've had a lot of success with the herb in the past; it would typically give me a robust physical improvement in 2-3 days.

However, after only a week, I'm experiencing chills, diarrhea and no real physical improvement; this is similar to how I felt on other herbs, e.g. Neem, Triphala etc.

I am wondering if perhaps the first time I tried the Haritaki I was experiencing a cortisol increase from it killing something off, which might explain why I felt better? Or, alternatively, if it's simply provoking a stronger die-off this time around. I know it's hard to guess with this kind of stuff, but it's disappointing when a 'stand-by' doesn't help anymore. I have some more Symbioflor-2, but am almost scared it won't help as much either.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I took licorice root on a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule for years. Then suddenly I couldn't. It made me really hyper. No idea why.

outdamnspot

I start up on Symbioflor-2 again, and likewise am not getting the same results as last time (which included a rapid increase in energy and mood). The only difference last time was that I had just finished a course of Oil of Oregano.

I asked Ken from CFSremission about this and he said that bacteria can develop resistance, which is why we need to keep rotating agents. So I'm not sure what to do now ..

Current stuff I have at home:

1. Oil of Oregano
2. Olive Leaf Extract
3. Mutaflor