• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

Revel

I am currently experimenting with "Logona Color Cream". It's a 100% botanical semi-permanent dye, free of synthetic colour (including the dreaded PPD), fragrance, preservatives, peroxide and ammonia compounds. It comes ready to use in a tube that you can reseal and use again. You just comb it into dry hair and rinse out after the required time.

The downside is that can take up to 2 hours to develop and you have to wear a rather unattractive plastic cap for the duration (which is provided in the box). However, this works out ok for me as it gives my arms time to recover between combing the product in and rinsing it out. You can accelerate the "cooking time" with heat, but since I cannot hold a hairdryer, I put a woolly hat on top of the plastic cap (as you can imagine, I only dye my hair when I have the house to myself ;)).

I use the mid-brown colour and it turns my greys a dark blonde, which doesn't look too bad at all. So far, I am quite pleased with it. I like the ease of use, the lack of chemical smell and the fact that it doesn't irritate my scalp like conventional home hair dyes - it's a compromise, not quite the depth of colour as the latter would provide but a big improvement on how my hair was looking beforehand (and no nasty reactions!).

Jenny TipsforME

@Revel that sounds good, I'll look it up. At the moment I use an hibiscus strong tea tint, which works fairly well but I have to keep doing it. How long does Logona last?

I think everyone on this thread would like my new post with lots of Spoonie tips for beauty and fashion. It is vintage themed, but most of the tips you can use in your own style.

https://tipsforme.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/spoonie-pinup/

img_1763.jpg

Jennifer J

Practical ways of looking nice.... Sticking a paper bag over my head and drawing a smiley face on it :whistle:

Sorry bad hair day :bang-head:

:lol: I was thinking the same thing (paper bag over my head) for myself when this thread title popped up on my alerts except drawing on a smiley face - that's a nice touch @Hell...Hath...No...Fury... Hope you have a good hair day soon.

hellytheelephant

@Revel that sounds good, I'll look it up. At the moment I use an hibiscus strong tea tint, which works fairly well but I have to keep doing it. How long does Logona last?

I think everyone on this thread would like my new post with lots of Spoonie tips for beauty and fashion. It is vintage themed, but most of the tips you can use in your own style.

https://tipsforme.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/spoonie-pinup/

img_1763.jpg
I like your blog a lot and your pinup tips contained quite a few ideas new to me. I am also using the one cut haircut and I think it is genius! I do like your point about vintage retro look being a good one. A pop of bright lip colour and big sunnies is the way to go.I am just getting into Burt Bees products- not the cheapest but not the most expensive of the natural products...but I just don't want to ingest what is in most lipsticks. I love the tinted lip balm and have just sent off for a lip crayon.
Everyone reacts differently but i can recommend Daniel Field hair colour. Have not used it for a while as I hardly have the spoons for showering...but it is a simple and non messy process.

Last edited:

Jenny TipsforME

Daniel Fields does come out well for a hair dye. There's a short list of ingredients, which reduces possibility that there's something we might react to. A couple of the ingredients come out as 6 which is higher than I usually go (I try to get products 4 or under but this is purely arbitrary). It also contains ingredients which happen to irritate my skin though so probably best for me to pass on it, though it looks like a good option in terms of general safety.

Compared with something like L'ORÉAL hair dye it is a lot better. It is actually pretty similar safety to Logona, despite being less natural though. See

L'Oréal:

image hosting no sign up

Last edited:

Revel

@Jenny TipsforME , the Logona slowly washes out with each hair wash, like any semi-permanent. So, how long it lasts would depend a lot upon how often you wash your hair. For me, I would say that the dye lasts about a month, by which time it is almost completely faded out. I have very fine hair and wash it about 1-2 times a week, using dry shampoo to liven up my hair in between if necessary. Ideally, I would need to dye my hair with this product every 3-4 weeks to keep it looking "natural" (lol) and free of greys but, well, you know the score and it's generally a case of doing it when I am able and not scrutinizing myself too much in the mirror when I am feeling below par!

I also tried henna many years ago, and I agree that it can be a mess to apply and even worse to rinse out. The Logona squeezes out of the tube like toothpaste and is much easier and cleaner to use. In answer to your second question, I find that it rinses out easily (far better than most supermarket hair dyes that I have used in the past) - it is also less bother to clean the bathroom up afterwards too (if you accidentally splash it onto tiles, etc) which is another bonus.

JaimeS

You were talking on another thread about using a corset, and I thought I might move that conversation here.

My 'final straw' event was a back injury (that might have actually led to an infection in the CSF). I wore a sleeveless tee with a broad belt / support over it under my usual work clothes, and it not only helped the pain but ensured I stayed sitting upright even when the pain had exhausted me.

I would love to wear something stylish that helped with my posture but that didn't obstruct my breathing, which can be really bad sometimes, especially in the summer. Any thoughts, thread followers?

-J

JaimeS

@JaimeS its not really the right time of year in our hemisphere but Spanx do high waisted opaque support tights. I find they help, though sometimes they roll down a bit.

There is a local dress shop in the town where I used to live. They are an old-school shop that offers their guests chocolate and wine. When I moved out to California, they all signed a going-away card with best wishes: that sort of classy place. I believe I mentioned them someplace in this thread, already.

Anyhow, oftentimes when I walked in they wanted me to try some kind of new item. Just when Spanx were really becoming a big deal, they convinced me to wriggle into a pair. (I was not keen.) Not only were they uncomfortable, but due to something about my body shape, they seemed to add 10 lbs to my appearance. This may seem to thwart all the laws of Physics, but really, where is the fat going to go? It's just redistributed in a more even fashion, and I suppose it squeezed me in all the wrong places. ;)

It was also harder to breathe, though I'm not sure I could get that back support and still be able to breathe easy. :(

Maybe like this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...ing-Slimming-Underwear-Belts/32801343959.html

(They presume you're doing corset training, but who cares?)

Gingergrrl

They are an old-school shop that offers their guests chocolate and wine. When I moved out to California, they all signed a going-away card with best wishes: that sort of classy place.

Jaime, that sounds like such a cool shop!

It was also harder to breathe

On the very few occasions that I have tried Spanx, I also found it much harder to breathe and did not like them at all.

Edit: It also takes a great deal of muscle strength to put them on and off which was another reason that I did not like them.

Revel

I would love to wear something stylish that helped with my posture but that didn't obstruct my breathing,

@JaimeS, would something like this help, under your clothes? I don't have this exact one, but something similar. I have scoliosis and have had spinal fusion from the level of my shoulder blades all the way down. The unfused area of my upper body is very weak and I have terribly rounded shoulders, now that I am too sick to exercise. I have found this kind of design quite useful, although it is too uncomfortable for me to wear for long periods (but the physical issues I need to correct are quite extreme). The band fits around the waist and leaves the chest unobstructed - wouldn't exactly call it stylish though ;):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Posture-Co...576192&sr=8-8&keywords=back+brace+for+posture

Last edited:

Revel

Sorry, @JaimeS, I got confused - when you mentioned posture and restricted breathing I automatically thought upper body. :confused:

I saw this interesting gadget that might provide some support when seated . . . but it's not exactly inconspicuous!:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lower-Supp...1&keywords=#1+lower+back+support+posture+belt

Otherwise, I think you may just have to try that corset trainer if it's going to put less pressure on your ribcage than conventional support belts (I don't know, between this and your wistful reminiscing about the pole dancing posts on the burlesque thread earlier . . . it's all adding up, just sayin' :wide-eyed:).