• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enlarged breasts?

sharks

Eversince I started my treatment with famvir. My breasts are huge! I usually get this when I start a birth control and now I'm worried that there is an hormonal problem. I was on Predinsone, but stopped 2 months ago and my body has not been the same. I'm worried about a hormonal imbalance.

Last edited:

sharks

Hi @sharks haw has been your weight since starting Prednisone? Because it can cause weight gain, and when one gains weight, you are bound to go up in bra size as well.

The drug monograph for Famvir does not suggest any weight gain as side effect or breast enlargement
https://www.ask.novartispharma.ca/download.htm?res=famvir_scrip_e.pdf&resTitleId=727

I suspect Prednisone did that.
Best wishes
It may have. I didn't gain that much weight on Predinsone. I'm more worried about the adrenal hormonal connection.

Kati

Patient in training
It may have. I didn't gain that much weight on Predinsone. I'm more worried about the adrenal hormonal connection.

It is simply a suggestion since I do not know the specifics of your situation (this is not a suggestion to provide more specifics!) . I have seen it in my oncology nursing practice, and the effects of Prednisone can last well after stopping it. If you are at risk of developing diabetes, you may want to get tested for that.

sharks

It is simply a suggestion since I do not know the specifics of your situation (this is not a suggestion to provide more specifics!) . I have seen it in my oncology nursing practice, and the effects of Prednisone can last well after stopping it. If you are at risk of developing diabetes, you may want to get tested for that.

My dr said that once I stopped it I should be fine. I was on 60mg x 5 days 40mgx 5 days and 20 mg x 5 days. I stopped on 4/1. How long would the effects last roughly?

Kati

Patient in training
My dr said that once I stopped it I should be fine. I was on 60mg x 5 days 40mgx 5 days and 20 mg x 5 days. I stopped on 4/1. How long would the effects last roughly?
I don't know but it would be plenty to get side effects that last beyond the time you were on them.

drob31

If you had hpa-axis dysfunction before the pred, started it, and came off, it could have exacerbated the hpa-axis dysfunction leading to high cortisol. High cortisol > weight gain.

sharks

If you had hpa-axis dysfunction before the pred, started it, and came off, it could have exacerbated the hpa-axis dysfunction leading to high cortisol. High cortisol > weight gain.
Isn't that not a real thing?

Kati

Patient in training
Prednisone almost always causes weight gain regardless of the HPA axis status.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prednisone
Prednisone is a cortico-steroid therefore it takes over the adrenals. There are very good reasons for a physician to prescribe Prednisone, and there are some very bad reasons as well. And then when you are on it, the shortest course the better. Tapering slowly is prefered.

Ninan

Growing breasts was probably estrogen dominance for me. Problem disappeared when I started using Progesterall and cut out soy and other phytoestrogens. It helped with PMS too.

Groggy Doggy

Yep, some meds will cause this to occur. I was initially embarrassed, and wore baggy clothing. Now I don't really care what clothing I wear because I have a right to a better QOL; I guess ME has allowed me to stop caring what other people think of me.

I can't believe woman pay thousands of dollars and add health risks for early breast cancer (with surgical implants)... because I would never voluntarily want this kind of attention.

Butydoc

Yep, some meds will cause this to occur. I was initially embarrassed, and wore baggy clothing. Now I don't really care what clothing I wear because I have a right to a better QOL; I guess ME has allowed me to stop caring what other people think of me.

I can't believe woman pay thousands of dollars and add health risks for early breast cancer (with surgical implants)... because I would never voluntarily want this kind of attention.
Hi Groggy Doggy,

Having been a breast surgeon for many years I find it interesting how women judge other women concerning their choice about breast surgery. Some women who have small breast want them larger, some with big breast want them smaller and others choice to undergo breast reconstructive surgery following cancer surgery. The general incident of breast cancer is approximately 9%. Breast augmentation adds almost no additional risk except for a rare form of lymphoma . The importance is that each individual makes a informed decision without being judged.

Best,
Gary

Groggy Doggy

Hi Groggy Doggy,

Having been a breast surgeon for many years I find it interesting how women judge other women concerning their choice about breast surgery. Some women who have small breast want them larger, some with big breast want them smaller and others choice to undergo breast reconstructive surgery following cancer surgery. The general incident of breast cancer is approximately 9%. Breast augmentation adds almost no additional risk except for a rare form of lymphoma . The importance is that each individual makes a informed decision without being judged.

Best,
Gary

I disagree regarding early detection. (Which is the word I forgot to include in my post). Per the American Cancer Society...

"If you have breast implants, you should still get regular screening mammograms. However, if you have implants, you need to tell the technologist before starting the mammogram and you should also be aware that it may be hard for the doctor to see certain parts of your breast.

The x-rays used in mammograms cannot go through silicone or saline implants well enough to show the breast tissue under them. This means that the part of the breast tissue covered by the implant won’t be seen on the mammogram."

Also, more imaging is required...

"So the doctor can see as much breast tissue as possible, women with implants have 4 extra pictures done (2 on each breast), as well as the 4 standard pictures taken during a screening mammogram. In these extra pictures, called implant displacement (ID) views, the implant is pushed back against the chest wall and the breast is pulled forward over it. This allows better imaging of the front part of each breast."

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breas...ammograms-for-women-with-breast-implants.html

Last edited:

Butydoc

I disagree regarding early detection. (Which is the word I forgot to include in my post). Per the American Cancer Society...

"If you have breast implants, you should still get regular screening mammograms. However, if you have implants, you need to tell the technologist before starting the mammogram and you should also be aware that it may be hard for the doctor to see certain parts of your breast.

The x-rays used in mammograms cannot go through silicone or saline implants well enough to show the breast tissue under them. This means that the part of the breast tissue covered by the implant won’t be seen on the mammogram."

Also, more imaging is required...

"So the doctor can see as much breast tissue as possible, women with implants have 4 extra pictures done (2 on each breast), as well as the 4 standard pictures taken during a screening mammogram. In these extra pictures, called implant displacement (ID) views, the implant is pushed back against the chest wall and the breast is pulled forward over it. This allows better imaging of the front part of each breast."

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breas...ammograms-for-women-with-breast-implants.html
That is true, but but as far as I understand, it doesn't increase the incidence of breast cancer nor the ability to detect a tumor, especially if the implant is place sub pectoral. The Ecland technique has been used for a long time and has been effective. I sat on the breast cancer tumor board at a major medical center for most of 30 years. I have augmented a number of the breast tumor board members and wives. Like all surgical procedure, it is important that the patient fully understands the risk so that an informed decision can be made.

Best,
Gary

Butydoc

@Butydoc , is reconstruction the same as augmentation as far as the rare lymph cancer goes?
Thanks if you could answer.
Hi Paralee,

Not really sure. Anaplastic Large Cell lymphoma is a rare cancer which was discovered in a few patients with textured breast implants. The incidence is so low that there isn't that much information available. This particular cancer is 90% curable in the cases associated with breast implants. I have never seen a case in over thirty years of practice. My practice was 25% breast surgery. The other four plastic surgeon in our group also have never seen a case. Breast cancer not associated with implants as mentioned above was extremely common. Breast reconstruction can use implants or autologous tissue. Not uncommon to augment the opposite breast during breast reconstruction to gain symmetry.

Best,
Gary

Paralee

@Butydoc , thank you for your answer. They're pushing mammograms here like crazy and I can't figure out why, all of a sudden. Before lately, my doctor at the time quit sending me for mammograms because no one could figure out why I was still being sent for them. I've had to have another reconstruction and there was nothing there, so I wonder if it's the money thing....but thank you very much again for answering.