• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Streptococcus overgrowth

renski

Die off could be anything, Candida.. or maybe some bad bacteria is allowed to flourish that the antibiotics aren't catching..

outdamnspot

I have started at long last to feel some improvement. I been taking clarithromycin 3 times a day and vanocyin( spelt wrong sorry ) pharma assist , metaphor ( good E. coli ) vitamins interfase plus. For the first time in years cars are not floating past in a weird way like there streaming, and I have more energy.

I'm aware I'm going to totally kill all my good bacteria soon!
I will start lactobacillus GG soon. I have found gut pro and a Non d lactate probtiic from custom probiotics . I guess I have to start on these soon. But for the moment I just enjoying the clearing of my syptoms.
I'm a little scared because I have been told your not meant to have any bacteria in the first part of your small intestine but there not really any way of getting these good guys in without swollening them. If we where just to put them up our bum for example they probably would not get all the way up to where needed.
My last test result from Brussels was still really bad 85 when should be below 5 for strep. This could be because of the probiotic having strep thermos in it. I'm still waiting for a bioscreen result to tell me the kind of strep that causing the problem for me.

Pharma assist is so good I was scared of it , but I have been consipited for years and feel so much better on it.

Hi Streppy, did you end up trying the Custom Probiotic? I've just placed an order for it ..

outdamnspot

Antibiotics just wipe out everything and don't improve the environment.. we need to build the good flora to overcome strep and everything else, at least that's my understanding.

I was just confused because Elph68 seemed to report feeling better *while* on the antiobiotics.

I'm finishing up my two-week course now and have had no improvement in symptoms. So maybe I wasn't on them long enough, or I'm taking the wrong abx, or improvement will only come with rebuilding my good flora.

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to go back and see the GI at the moment (and he's booked up), so I am just going to go ahead and start on probiotics.

Can't believe I found this forum, it seems that only the people suffering from these overgrowths understand how devastating the symptoms can be.

My health hasn't been right for years, but it really started to deteriorate in the last four months. It started with a diagnosis of prostatitis, where I was prescribed antibiotics. It was at that point that it all started going down hill.

My array of symptoms where confusing enough for myself let alone a doctor being able to provide a diagnosis other than anxiety on me... I had pain that would move all over the place, anxiety, depression, weird bowel movements, dizziness, passing out, no energy, insomnia, muscle aches, headaches, no apatite, urinating problems... Basically if there were a symptom, I had it! I didn't buy into what the doctors said, even though there were times I nearly did, or at least wished it was anxiety (that way I had a diagnosis) - but I knew deep there was something else going on that was giving me all these problems. My intuition told me that if I was going to make it through, I'd have find a way to cure myself.

I went from doctor to doctor and eventually found one that organized a Bioscreen screening where it was revealed I have overgrowth in Strep, Kelbsiella, Enterobacter and total aerobic flora, E Coli Undetected and Eubacterium Overgrowth, Lactobacillus undergrowth. When I was handed these results, my doctor didn't seem too worried and advised it could be treated with a reduction in carbohydrates...

I receive these results only two weeks ago and from spending countless amounts of hours on the internet I've been able to link all of my problems with this and this eventually led me to this site.

I cleaned my diet up dramatically (although one would think it was already good previous to doing so) and am currently following nearly a PALEO diet, with the exclusion of eating oats in the morning.

I'm still very early in the process and am looking for people who've experienced this and that have come out the other side. Has anyone been able to regain 100% of health their health back?

I'm getting an FMT in 2 weeks. I am so sick of playing the merry - go - round with antibiotics and probiotics. I'm hoping it will be enough.

Elph68

I'm getting an FMT in 2 weeks. I am so sick of playing the merry - go - round with antibiotics and probiotics. I'm hoping it will be enough.
Hi @Noellea77 I hope it works out for you but I reckon you are going to be disappointed ...... Gut issues are a symptom, not the cause ..... All the scientific data says that your gut will just go back to the way it was before FMT .... that is why they stopped doing FMT for CFS here in Australia ......

FMT after systemic antibiotics such as IV vancomycin ..... will more likely give you the outcome you are seeking ....

Our immune system sees gut bugs as the enemy ..... that will not change until you remove the bacteria from the rest of your body that is making your immune system act that way ....

Good luck, and I hope I am wrong and you are one of the very few that does have a long term success from FMT ...

Elph68

Can't believe I found this forum, it seems that only the people suffering from these overgrowths understand how devastating the symptoms can be.

My health hasn't been right for years, but it really started to deteriorate in the last four months. It started with a diagnosis of prostatitis, where I was prescribed antibiotics. It was at that point that it all started going down hill.

My array of symptoms where confusing enough for myself let alone a doctor being able to provide a diagnosis other than anxiety on me... I had pain that would move all over the place, anxiety, depression, weird bowel movements, dizziness, passing out, no energy, insomnia, muscle aches, headaches, no apatite, urinating problems... Basically if there were a symptom, I had it! I didn't buy into what the doctors said, even though there were times I nearly did, or at least wished it was anxiety (that way I had a diagnosis) - but I knew deep there was something else going on that was giving me all these problems. My intuition told me that if I was going to make it through, I'd have find a way to cure myself.

I went from doctor to doctor and eventually found one that organized a Bioscreen screening where it was revealed I have overgrowth in Strep, Kelbsiella, Enterobacter and total aerobic flora, E Coli Undetected and Eubacterium Overgrowth, Lactobacillus undergrowth. When I was handed these results, my doctor didn't seem too worried and advised it could be treated with a reduction in carbohydrates...

I receive these results only two weeks ago and from spending countless amounts of hours on the internet I've been able to link all of my problems with this and this eventually led me to this site.

I cleaned my diet up dramatically (although one would think it was already good previous to doing so) and am currently following nearly a PALEO diet, with the exclusion of eating oats in the morning.

I'm still very early in the process and am looking for people who've experienced this and that have come out the other side. Has anyone been able to regain 100% of health their health back?
Hi @Jac123

I probably fit into that category of 100% recovery ..... right down to the prostatitis ..... Apart from the damage that has been done to my organs/joints I am out the other side .... And like you, going after the prostatitis put me down the CFS path .....

Prostatitis is caused by bacteria ..... irrespective of what the doctors tell you ......

Cheers.

Cheers.

@Elph68 Can strep/enterococcus increase gastric acid or drops gastric acid ph to very "acidic" levels?. Apart from , Ive seen several people who has developed stomach pain, gastritis, reflux (no due to low stomach acid) and having this overgrowth.

Elph68

@Elph68 Can strep/enterococcus increase gastric acid or drops gastric acid ph to very "acidic" levels?. Apart from , Ive seen several people who has developed stomach pain, gastritis, reflux (no due to low stomach acid) and having this overgrowth.
personally i suspect you are correct ..... I have tried to find scientific evidence of such in the past, but have not been able to.

I have just received my results back from a Bioscreen analysis.

Streptococcus Parasanguinis - High 96% (ideally under 4%)
E-coil - Low 4% (ideally 70 - 90%)
Eubacterium/Collinsella aerofaciens - High 92% (ideally under 15%)
Yeast - not detected

Also tested positive for Blastocystis

The health practitioner I'm seeing suggests we leave the Blastocystis for now and work on doing a natural gut healing protocol and if we don't get the results switching to antibiotics for the strep and once strong enough take a re-look at the Blastocystis.
I have already been following a gut healing protocol myself for the last couple of years and although there have been improvements I can still only eat a handful of foods comfortably, my cognitive problems are still there although not to the extreme they were. It seems to me that I must still be eating too many carbs. I eat low carb compared to the average person (no bread, pasta, pastries etc) but I still eat starchy vegetables, bananas & rice cakes. So I'm thinking it needs to be Keto but as I have issues with both dairy and eggs it seems too restrictive.
I had the test done after trying so hard to improve my gut but not really getting there. I'm sure the Blastocystis is causing me issues. I've suffered fatigue for 13 yeas but when we moved into our current house my digestion and fatigue worsened greatly - 3 months after moving in we had our well water tested and the water was contaminated with E-coil.
I'll keep you all posted on my progress and (hopefully) successes.