• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wake up hot flashes.. Drink water to cool off then can't stop peeing all night!

Kenjie

@Kenjie - Can you check your blood pressure when having problems? And your heart rate sounds pretty low.

Do you feel better if you lie down?

I'm laying down as we speak. Resting heartrate. Which was 52bpm on Saturday night.. Doctor thinks its normal and wasn't concerned.. I said well it does concern me..

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
How do you do deep breathing exactly?

Here are some instructions extracted from this site. The site includes a video as well.
Belly Breathing Exercise

1. Place one hand just above your belt line, and the other on your chest, right over the breastbone. You can use your hands as a simple biofeedback device. Your hands will tell you what part of your body, and what muscles, you are using to breathe.

2. Open your mouth and gently sigh, as if someone had just told you something really annoying. As you do, let your shoulders and the muscles of your upper body relax, down, with the exhale. The point of the sigh is not to completely empty your lungs. It's just to relax the muscles of your upper body.

3. Close your mouth and pause for a few seconds.

4. Keep your mouth closed and inhale slowly through your nose by pushing your stomach out. The movement of your stomach precedes the inhalation by just the tiniest fraction of a second, because it's this motion which is pulling the air in. When you've inhaled as much air as you can comfortably (without throwing your upper body into it), just stop. You're finished with that inhale.

5. Pause. How long? You decide. I'm not going to give you a specific count, because everybody counts at a different rate, and everybody has different size lungs. Pause briefly for whatever time feels comfortable. However, be aware that when you breathe this way, you are taking larger breaths than you're used to. For this reason, it's necessary to breathe more slowly than you're used to. If you breathe at the same rate you use with your small, shallow breaths, you will probably feel a little lightheaded from over breathing, and it might make you yawn. Neither is harmful. They're just signals to slow down. Follow them!

6. Open your mouth. Exhale through your mouth by pulling your belly in.

7. Pause.

8. Continue with Steps 4-7.

Feel like I'm having to take it in my own hands! Do you ever feel like that too?

That's life with this illness. We have to learn to become our own health care providers because so few doctors understand our conditions.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Does anyone else experience constant toilet trips? How do you get it under control?

Doesn't happen all the time but once in a while my bladder has phases of it.. This time has been last three nights.. Wake up hot.. Drink water to cool down.. Then can't go back to sleep cos bladder has other ideas... I'm averaging 2 hours sleep a night last 3 nights waking at 2am or just before..

I've resorted to peeing in bottles in a bin next to my bed for the last 20+ years as getting up makes my heart, breathing, balance, pain symptoms much worse. Sounds gross but no other way to try and salvage some sleep if you pee like 10 times at night.

For ladies sick of walking to the toilet at night, it sounds rather awkward but you can get 'she wees' or similar that girls take to concerts who can't go peeing standing up next to the guys in make shift urinals. I won't describe it due to being a bit indelicate for some but you can probably work it out, like little cups. Personally i think laying down it would leak unless you modify it with some super tight elastic which would then be too uncomfortable to sleep in, so it likely won't work as well as it would do standing up.

Naturally in hospital as a female you have to shift yourself onto those horrible cardboard containers, but I doubt for home use this is ideal. Someone needs to invent something really. I guess it's quite a rare condition as most other people with polyuria can walk to the toilet as they don't have dysautonomia to deal with. We have both issues.

Last edited:

Binkie4

@Kenjie " how do you do deep breathing exactly"

Sorry not to get back before now. Medical appointments all day.

I have done breathing exercises in mindfulness clesses, with a breathing retraining CD by a physiotherapist to train breathing to avoid over breathingwhich can cause panic and with relaxation CDs. I think the basic principle is to breathe low into diaphragm hold for a second or two and then breathe out to a longer count than breathing in eg breathe in for 4, hold for 2 then out for 6/8.

I had a cardiac echo this morning and breathed all through. It really helps me stay calm.

Kenjie

@Kenjie " how do you do deep breathing exactly"

Sorry not to get back before now. Medical appointments all day.

I have done breathing exercises in mindfulness clesses, with a breathing retraining CD by a physiotherapist to train breathing to avoid over breathingwhich can cause panic and with relaxation CDs. I think the basic principle is to breathe low into diaphragm hold for a second or two and then breathe out to a longer count than breathing in eg breathe in for 4, hold for 2 then out for 6/8.

I had a cardiac echo this morning and breathed all through. It really helps me stay calm.

Do you have to do it regularly?

Binkie4

@Kenjie

@PatJ 's instructions are good. It really becomes automatic. To begin, one hand on chest, one on belly and breathe so that belly moves up/out. Breathe in through nose, out through mouth. Do it during day for calmness and it becomes automatic at night.

Good luck.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
one on belly and breathe so that belly moves up/out

Breathing from the belly is important because it influences the parasympathetic nervous system which helps to produce the calming effect.

Breathing from the belly is generally considered 'proper breathing' because you use more of the lungs so it's good to get into the habit of belly breathing instead of shallow upper chest breathing.

Focusing on your belly breathing is useful during times of anxiety or stress because it concentrates the mind on something simple and rhythmic and further helps with calming.