• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone ever had a gastric biopsy ?

Dechi

I am having one soon and wondering if I do it with or without sedation. I tend to have adverse effects to medications, so would rather avoid being drugged. On the other hand, I have generalized anxiety disorder and if I don't know what is happening step by step I get very anxious.

I am used to having cameras inserted down nose and through my throat to evaluate my gastric reflux. I have also had a colposcopy and a biopsy of the cervix. All without sedation, but I guess those don't need sedation. The worse thing that I've had was a root canal procedure, because the dentist wasn't keeping me informed enough and I was panicking.

The biopsy will then be sent to Dr Chia in California for analysis and should reveal, I hope, the type of infection I have.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Yep. About 25 years ago. I also have what I would call GAD. As far as I remember it was without sedation and not a problem. I also had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy following barium enema possibly all on the same day (I think - can't be sure).

The biopsy was the least distressing.

halcyon

I was sedated for my EGD. I don't think I could have done it without, I actually woke up in the middle of it and it wasn't too pleasant but they quickly knocked me back out.

kangaSue

You get twilight sedation for an endoscopy here in Australia. I think it depends on the strength of your gag reflex as to whether or not you can have it done without sedation.

What sort of biopsy is being taken, the standard thing or a full thickness biopsy? The latter is the more revealing.

Dechi

You get twilight sedation for an endoscopy here in Australia. I think it depends on the strength of your gag reflex as to whether or not you can have it done without sedation.

What sort of biopsy is being taken, the standard thing or a full thickness biopsy? The latter is the more revealing.

I have no idea of the type of biopsy. All I know is there will be 3 slides prepared and sent for analysis by Dr Chia.

Sean

I had this done a few years back under sedation. No problems at all, other than a very slightly sore throat for a day or so.

Actually it was even better than that: For maybe 12 hours or so afterwards was the most relaxed state I have ever experienced in my life. There was no high or intoxication of any kind, just complete calm, nothing phased me at all.

Don't know what drug they used, but I wouldn't mind more of it. :angel:

Dechi

There's a number of drugs that can be used. They used to use valium but nowadays it can be midazolam, fentanyl or ketamine too.

And those are drugs generally well tolerated by pwME ? I have so much trouble with taking drugs, most ofmthe time I don't tolerate their side effects.

Dechi

Got the biopsy done yesterday. I got really anxious and panicked when I had my throat frozen. I couldn't breathe and thought I was going to die from choking. Fortunately the nurse knew what she was doing and without me even noticing it, she gave me enough meds to blank out. So I don't remember anything after that.

Today my stomach still hurts and I have to take tylenol every 4 hours. Don't know why, but I am hungry all the time, even shortly after eating. It was a long and stressful day yesterday and today I am so beat ! Glad it's over. There were no signs of cancer or celiac disease during the exam. Now I have to wait until the slides go to Dr Chia for analysis amd report. It might take 3-4 weeks.

Diwi9

Administrator
@Dechi - Glad you got through that harrowing experience...nothing I'd ever want to have to go through! I hope the results provide you some answers.

Dechi

@Diwi9 thanks ! :). I sure hope I didn't go through this for nothing. If there is no sign of infection whatsoever, I will be very confused and question that I have ME, although I fit the bill and have all the symptoms. My hope is that Whatever they find is treatable, at least partially.