• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Nottingham Tool Kit: how the UK is selling ME patients down the river with £200 million for MUS

Sean

Really, really intrigued now! :confused:

Can I google it?
You can Google all you like, but you will never find the men only section of the internet.

Do you need a funny handshake?
There is nothing funny about it. Doing it wrong gets a man's pay docked for a month. :(

Damn right. You button your lip @Sean , you've said far too much already.
Sorry. Been swigging at the high-proof raspberry cordial again. I'll go sleep it off in the barn. :oops: :ill: :sleep:

hellytheelephant

I must say I do feel rather exluded. First I wasn't allowed to have a wandering womb, and now this. You'd almost suspect these psychs don't really want men to be given an MUS diagnosis, which I find blatently sexist. What do I have to do as a man to have my psychosomatic illness taken seriously - storm into my doctor's and throw a hissy fit? I will you know.

Calm down dear! You sound slightly hysterical and a bit grumpy @TiredSam - I am guessing it's That Time of The Month/onset of midlife down- below-troubles.

Do some more exercise, take up some new hobbies....;)o_Ofocus on the positive luv...:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

anniekim

I imagined that I had a basic grasp of the English language, but clearly not. Can anyone help explain the following?

"In particular, co-morbid psychological problems in patients with MUS are common and counterproductive to medical symptoms."

I have no idea what "counterproductive to medical symptoms" could possibly be intended to mean.

There appears to be a huge fallacy at the heart of the document. It starts out by saying that co-morbid psychological problems are common and then gradually goes on to assume that all patients suffer from psychological problems, and will respond to treatments aimed at addressing psychological problems.

"Reattribution refers to an intensive structured consultation delivered by a GP, which aims to provide a psychological explanation to patients with somatised mental disorder."

I, for one, would have found it helpful if it had been explained how we all came to be considered to have a "somatised mental disorder".

I agree it always feels they adopt double speak and word gymnastics.

On a side note I briefly skim read the Morris reattribution paper and it concluded patients didn't show any improvements in their 'medically unexplained' symptoms. All the paper established was the patient trusted the doctor more if they felt the doctor would view any new complaints as possibly physical. It is all so manipulative...

Countrygirl

That'll be nothing compared to what we'll do to you if you don't talk. I won't go into specifics, but Brave Sir Wessely would be screaming in terror :nervous:

Actually, :rolleyes: @Sean and @TiredSam it involves a hammer, floorboards and................................and dangly b...........oh dear just realised Kina might read this.

Can I claim the fifth amendment? ......................not the foggiest clue what that means..............I have an excellent excuse though (for those who have been following my story the last few days).................... am being treated/watched by (kindly) emergency medical crew........... doctors not interested in ME patient..................BP 250/130...............heart rate in outer orbit............feeling away with the fairies................wonderful what long term ME does for you.

Sean

That'll be nothing compared to what we'll do to you if you don't talk. I won't go into specifics, but Brave Sir Wessely would be screaming in terror :nervous:
So you will be casually waving a damp lettuce leaf in my general direction?

Pfft. I am made of sterner stuff than that. You will need at least a cauliflower, and two rudely shaped root vegetables to get me fleeing to the safety of Afghanistan.

user9876

"Some health trusts are even offering GPs financial incentives not to refer patients for tests that can diagnose cancer"

Would that be the spectre of MUS I wonder?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...failing-estimated-32-000-cancer-patients.html

For a long time I have thought that this MUS campaign is responsible for killing cancer patients. I think everyone I've known who has had cancer has had trouble with GPs and getting referrals for tests. Even someone with a lump where the GP took one look at her and decided it was a fat lump but it wasn't.

Dr Who

has it...
LOL - the reference for that is FINE. They took the no benefit over control result, and interpreted that as the exciting new that both the PR intervention and the control intervention would be worth delivering?!

Some of these REF2014 sumbmissions seem a lot like fraud to me. Anyone know if there's anything that can be done about this?
.... could you give me a link to 'FINE'?