• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Small amount of MB12 wreaking havoc on me and what I learned

sregan

I started oil pulling in late March mostly for oral health and experienced the side effect of my gut normalizing within a few days. It was very impressive. I brush my teeth then basically put a half teaspoon of coconut oil in my mouth, swish it around for 20 minutes and then spit it out. I posted about it here and it was basically dismissed as coincidence or even placebo :( The reason given was that fat cannot be absorbed sublingually. I know what I experienced and found an article that describes how coconut oil is broken down in the mouth initially by lingual lipase enzymes. So yes digestion starts in the mouth and seems possible that the orally digested coconut oil can indeed be absorbed sublingually.

So me being me I decided more is better and started eating Coconut Macaroon cookies and Publix Calypso cookies (which are amazing). I decided that the coconut particles being digested will make it's way through the digestive system and work their magic through the digestive tract much as the sublingually absorbed oil did in my blood stream (my assumption). There was no improvement due to the orally ingested coconut and I started feeling worse and worse.

After more reading I assumed I pushed my Thyroid again without accompanying cortisol support. I blogged about this here. I started tending to the adrenals and started feeling better. The IBS and seasonal allergies (which were brand new to me) seemed to resolve quickly. But then another stressor and another happened. There was no break or recovery time for me.

So the adrenal repair was going well as reported by this blog entry. But again I started feeling worse and worse... I intentionally did not supplement Vitamin C although I knew it was huge for the adrenals because it seemed to make the IBS worse. I took some C crystals I had and mixed water and drank up as recorded in my final blog entry here. I felt some a deep peace and relaxation as the body and adrenals perhaps absorbed the Vitamin C. Lower back tightness and pain ceased immediately. If my Adrenals were stressed due to lack of Vitamin C and could not produce cortisol I had given them exactly what they needed. SO success I've got it figured out!!

Or not! NEFE got me again (Nothing is Ever Friggin Easy). Put on my thinking cap... lately I've started being able to distinguish the subtle differences in the various ways I feel awful at times and decided to try some Potassium (see UPDATE1 from the last link). Bingo again, I had been taking about 400mcg of MB12 per day but not taking any Potassium with it. Apparently I was driving methylation and using up available Potassium. So again I've got it figured out... Nope! Still feeling bad, like something is very wrong and not been sleeping well for weeks and IBS is still with me... Is this it for me? did I finally run out of tricks in my supplement bag???

So again I think.. If I was driving methylation and exhausting Potassium it makes sense that I might be exhausting other things as well.. Lets try 400mcg of Methyl Folate (UPDATE2) and voila! Depression lifted significantly that day. Was like someone turned a light on in a dark room.

Now I believe I have all the pieces I need to help myself... I don't have any MTHFR mutations that would impede methylation so don't think I necessarily need large amounts of MB12 and MFolate but I do seem to need some. Perhaps Freddd's recommendation of taking the MFolate first is to allow the body to get the folate it needs for other things before methylation uses it up? Anyway that's how I am taking mine. MFolate then MB12 then Potassium.

I've added Magnesium Glycinate and Coral calcium to my supplement list. My daily supps are as follows:

200mg Magnesium Glycinate
500mg Coral Calcium
200-300mg Potassium
400mcg MB12
400mcg Mfolate
1 Mega Mins multi mineral (every other day)

Gut issues seem to be resolving, cortisol seems stable also that I've stopped all cortisol boosting supps. Also helping at night every other or every third night and greatly helping sleep and tame inflammation are...

Natural Factors Beta Care All
MRM Complete E
Now Vitamin K2
Doctors Best 400IE Vitamin D
Now Astaxanthin

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
Dr. Mercola now recommends astaxanthin on his Top Five Supplements list. Have you noticed any positive effects of taking it?

sregan

Added a small amount of p5p and 250mg tryptophan in the AM. I discovered a while back that methylation ate up my tryptophan and or serotonin.

I'm having some really good days. The next few weeks will be fine tuning trial and error. What to take with what and when. But I think these supplements listed are mostly whet I need.