• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Nottingham Tool Kit: how the UK is selling ME patients down the river with £200 million for MUS

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Was someone at BS HQ too embarassed/squeamish/repressed to actually write it?
I must say I do feel rather exluded. First I wasn't allowed to have a wandering womb, and now this. You'd almost suspect these psychs don't really want men to be given an MUS diagnosis, which I find blatently sexist. What do I have to do as a man to have my psychosomatic illness taken seriously - storm into my doctor's and throw a hissy fit? I will you know.

SamanthaJ

In other words, according to these guys, patients are more likely to have MUS if they're the kind of patients some people in the NHS already don't like very much: people with weight issues, menopausal women, post-menopausal women, people with mental health issues, older people, and, of course, people with fatigue. So, most of the population then.

What's 'negative ESR'?

Last edited:

RogerBlack

In other words, according to these guys, patients are more likely to have MUS if they're the kind of patients the NHS already doesn't much like: people with weight issues, menopausal women, post-menopausal women, people with mental health issues, older people, and, of course, people with fatigue. So, most of the population then.

What's 'negative ESR'?

Emotional self-realisation at a guess.

slysaint

psychs don't really want men to be given an MUS diagnosis
Erectile dysfunction could be classed as an MUS......................but they wouldn't dare.

Lifestyle changes
Erectile dysfunction can often be improved by making changes to your lifestyle, such as:

Countrygirl

I must say I do feel rather exluded. First I wasn't allowed to have a wandering womb, and now this. You'd almost suspect these psychs don't really want men to be given an MUS diagnosis, which I find blatently sexist. What do I have to do as a man to have my psychosomatic illness taken seriously - storm into my doctor's and throw a hissy fit? I will you know.

There is only one thing for it @TiredSam . You are just going to have to bite the bullet: sign up for gender reassignment. Have a sex change!

You too could then have a..............................:redface: ............and a ...................................:D, even if you have to undergo a bit of lopping :eek::nervous:.

Be positive about it! Don't think of what you would lose, but what you would gain. :p:D

TiredSam

There is only one thing for it @TiredSam . You are just going to have to bite the bullet: sign up for gender reassignment. Have a sex change!

You too could then have a..............................:redface: ............and a ...................................:D, even if you have to undergo a bit of lopping :eek::nervous:.

Be positive about it! Don't think of what you would lose, but what you would gain. :p:D
Thanks, but I think I'll try the hissy fit and a bit of cape-swishing first, see where that gets me.

In other words, according to these guys, patients are more likely to have MUS if they're the kind of patients some people in the NHS already don't like very much: people with weight issues, menopausal women, post-menopausal women, people with mental health issues, older people, and, of course, people with fatigue. So, most of the population then.

Exactly.

lilpink

It has been pointed out to me that the term 'Dryness' in a medical context usually refers to 'vaginal dryness'.:thumbdown::ill::aghhh:

I did ponder that that could be the meaning. In which case pretty much every menopausal woman in the world can be dx with MUS simply on that basis alone. Nothing to do with declining oestrogen of course. I posted elsewhere about the gender bias within the construct of 'MUS' / 'MUPS'... this would seem to add fuel to that notion. If 'dryness' does mean what we assume here then this is nothing short of institutionalized misogyny . Who'd have thunk? :bang-head::confused:

SamanthaJ

I did ponder that that could be the meaning. In which case pretty much every menopausal woman in the world can be dx with MUS simply on that basis alone. Nothing to do with declining oestrogen of course. I posted elsewhere about the gender bias within the construct of 'MUS' / 'MUPS'... this would seem to add fuel to that notion. If 'dryness' does mean what we assume here then this is nothing short of institutionalized misogyny . Who'd have thunk? :bang-head::confused:
The thing that depresses me the most about this part of it is the thought of a woman suffering in silence for months or years before working up the courage to see her GP, and the GP thinking it's not real.

TiredSam

Only women are capable of hissy fit. In a guy is called assertiveness and stablishing boundaries. ;)
Blimey, I've already been doing some of that. I just can't win can I? How on earth am I supposed to get a prescription for anti-depressants and CBT at this rate? I'll just have to try @lilpink 's drag route, luckily I've already got some blue tights and red boots. Don't mean to be squeamish, but @Countrygirl 's suggestion really is a last resort.