• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Global Call-to-Action: Help secure the World Health Organisation’s Classification of ME & CFS

AndyPR

Important call to action! We need all hands on deck for a simple, but important task.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) is reviewing its International Classification of Disease (ICD) for its upcoming 11th edition (ICD-11). There has been enormous concern about what was going to happen to how ME & CFS are classified in the new edition.

Suzy Chapman & Mary Dimmock have been working tirelessly on this issue, and they need our help. They need people to go into the ICD system and agree with their proposal and/or make a comment. Read their full proposal here.

Chapman and Dimmock recommend that the disease be listed as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for the “concept titles” for the disease. (The disease was previously indexed as “Benign Myalgic Encephalomyelitis” and “Postviral Fatigue Syndrome.” The recommendation is to change those titles since the disease is not benign, and not all cases are postviral. Postviral Fatigue Syndrome will be listed as a synonym of the disease.)

It’s also being recommended that ME and CFS be retained under Chapter 08: “Diseases of the nervous system” and “Other disorders of the nervous system.”

The ICD-10 first came into use in 1994, with countries gradually adopting it over time. (The U.S. adopted the ICD-10 in 2015). It is only now being updated to the ICD-11, which means that the classifications for ME and CFS in ICD-11 will last a long time. It’s crucial that we take action now!

The deadline for comments on the ICD-11 is not yet clear but the sooner we submit our comments, the better to ensure that ME and CFS are properly classified in the new edition.
"How-to" instructions detailed and rest of article at http://www.meaction.net/2017/04/04/...ealth-organisations-classification-of-me-cfs/

This took me 5 mins to complete, following the instructions from MEAction. :)

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.