• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flare of the

Jessie 107

How often do you you have a flare up of your symptoms?
I have been keeping a diary of how I feel each day, what I have been able to do etc, and i seem to have a flare of symptoms (always flu like, sore throat, PEM, and just feel ill and weak) roughly three /sometimes four days a week. Is this a lot?
I'm thinking maybe I should do less, I don't do much now! A few weeks ago I had nine days in a row of feeling ok, this hasn't happened for a very long time though.
I had to stop working, because of this illness, I was a great walker, I now struggle to walk half an hour, if I feel ok I sometimes will do another twenty minutes later in the day.
Trying to except that can't walk with my two beautiful Border collies is devastating me, this is the thing I miss most as I was never a person to sit indoors.
Regards
Jessie

I used to feel fluey and in a state of PEM permanently. These days I have stabilised more so I tend to feel fluey if I've done too much, which for me is lterally walking 5 minutes or doing too much typing or reading. I have to pace very carefully.

This is obviously my opinion, but walking half an hour a day is a lot if you are struggling with ongoing flu symptoms. I can't even manage that on a better day. Only you know what works for you, but if it were me I'd try reducing the walking massively until you're more stable. You really don't want a big crash and be unable to walk at all...this has happened to me.

Can you walk your dogs using a scooter? Thats what I do.

NelliePledge

hi I get PEM when I do more than I can handle there isnt a pattern. Im post menopausal tho. I have read somewhere that menstrual cycle can create PEM maybe that's relevant for you?

I am badly overweight now but until I started with ME/CFS symptoms a few years ago I could walk reasonably long distances. Now I struggle to walk far and particularly struggle with standing in a queue. I try to save my energy for doing stuff around the house and outdoors rather than exercise I think I would have to get a scooter if I had dogs to walk.

Jessie 107

Thanks for your replys, I think you are both right I need to stop the walking think I have been pushing too much as I can't get through the week without causing PEM and I certainly don't want to get any worse. I may look into the scooter ideas depending on how expensive they are.
I am 50, not quite hit menopause yet and still having periods, but I have noticed when I am due on my symptoms seem worse.
So not only do I have this illness to deal with, I also have the menopause to look forward to!! Oh the joy's of being a woman, wish I could just fast forward the next five years!

Wishful

My flare-ups are as frequent as triggers dictate. There's a baseline of flu-like symptoms that's all the time, plus minor flare-ups most days, plus more severe ones if I do muscle-damaging activities or eat a food trigger. I can walk 45 minutes without triggering PEM, but climbing a ladder a couple of times (uses muscles in non-daily ways) will trigger it.

I do force myself to go for walks just to keep up the conditioning in those muscles. If 45 minutes becomes a problem, I'd try to find what my limit is.