• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are your PEM/Crash triggers? - Poll

What are your PEM/Crash triggers?

• Physical Exertion (No matter how small)

Votes: 100 80.6%
  • Social/Conversational Engagement

Votes: 91 73.4%
  • Mental Exertion (studying/reading/concentrating)

Votes: 87 70.2%
  • Sunlight/Heat

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Other Stiumuli

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • Specific Muscle Group Exertion

Votes: 31 25.0%

• Total voters

purrsian

Does anyone else find that driving is a trigger? I typically only drive every three weeks or so (half an hour to town, then back), so it doesn't count as something I'm conditioned to. I don't know if it's the sustained level of alertness required, or holding my arms up on the steering wheel, or the minor social interaction in town, but I'm generally feeling lousy (PEM) sometime the next day.
I definitely do. I think it's a combination of things: sustained mental alertness, holding arms up, the effort of turning the wheel, doing whatever you were going out to do which often involves social interaction and physical activity, plus the total output of getting ready, driving there, doing the thing, driving home. It's worse if I drive at night - not because I'm more tired (I'm actually best at nighttime for my fatigue) but because it takes your eyes and brain more effort to process the world around you. As a result, I usually only drive 10-15 mins away and often cancel plans if I don't feel it will be safe. Important to realise that CFS often includes delayed responses, so always keep safe distances between you and other cars. I've had times where I processed something had happened, but my brain didn't seem to send the signal to brake immediately, weird feeling! Thankfully keeping safe distances meant no issues, just confusing and a fright.

Wishful

Yes, there are days when I don't feel it's safe to drive either. I do worry about the days when I feel safe to drive, and then have the symptoms come on before I return home.

One time I visited friends for Christmas dinner. I don't know if it was a food responsible, or the mental exertion of socializing, but on the drive home, I gradually became so spaced out I didn't remember to slow down for a steep, curving, icy hill. My truck ended up about 2' off the ground on a snowbank. No harm, but I was totally surprised by how lousy my ability to drive had become. I was definitely 'driving while impaired' even though I hadn't had any alcohol.

purrsian

Yes, there are days when I don't feel it's safe to drive either. I do worry about the days when I feel safe to drive, and then have the symptoms come on before I return home.

One time I visited friends for Christmas dinner. I don't know if it was a food responsible, or the mental exertion of socializing, but on the drive home, I gradually became so spaced out I didn't remember to slow down for a steep, curving, icy hill. My truck ended up about 2' off the ground on a snowbank. No harm, but I was totally surprised by how lousy my ability to drive had become. I was definitely 'driving while impaired' even though I hadn't had any alcohol.
It's always surprising when you have those moments. It's a big reality check regarding how you're going, because it's easy to tell ourselves we're doing better than we are. We get so used to these horrible feelings and symptoms that we can lose sight of "normal" and misjudge the symptom severity. I found myself recently wondering how I could've ever managed to go to school 5 times a week, 6 hours per day, then do stuff on the weekend and do homework on nights. Like, that's just insane, and I did that! Then it made me sad to realise that most people think that school students have it easy because things just get busier as you get older, while I'm here thinking "wow that's a lot of stamina"! I was actually doing a guided meditation the other day where it was getting you to imagine walking around a beautiful field, pretty flowers, bubbling brook etc, when I realised that I was actually imagining myself lying down in the various lovely places. PEM is so ingrained in me that I even want to lie down in my imagination lol

hamsterman

Yes, driving is kinda tough to gauge. If I drive less than 30 minutes... and I don't change lanes... and am very relaxed... im ok. But once those conditions change... PEM is usually around the corner.