• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could my Methyl B vitamins have caused my symptoms?

Learner1

I truly think I silenced my estrogen receptor genes when I methylated.....I have all the signs of low estrogen, and my total and free T both went up when I crashed. That isn't possible if it's just adrenal fatigue......correct?

I have no other explanations for this. Why else would all my joints start becoming unstable, popping, hurting, and CONTINUE to progress? Is it possible to silence the estrogen receptor genes when taking methyl Bs?
Methylation is essential for life and does many tasks we can't live without, including helping with hormones. You need it, but you need to manage it in the context of everything else you have going on.

Start with the basics You might try a less extreme Paleo Diet. Make sure you digest food properly. Take a high quality multivitamin, like one from Thorne Research, or similar. Get your nutrients and hormones tested, and adjust, based on what you see.

If you start playing with variables, yes, unexpected things may start happening until you get things in balance. The symptoms are giving you information. It's likely several things are in play.

Learn all you can about methylation... it's your friend. You just need to learn to harness its power to help you.

How are you doing Konflict??

I have issues very similar to yours, I've had them for nearly 2 years now, after supplementing with methylb12, I didn't even take folate. I don't really know what to tell you, I'm still suffering, and haven't found anything at all that'll make the situation better. I just wanted to let you know, that someone here are experiencing the exact same thing as you.

I wish you all the best, and just ask, if you have any questions...

Konflict

How are you doing Konflict??

I have issues very similar to yours, I've had them for nearly 2 years now, after supplementing with methylb12, I didn't even take folate. I don't really know what to tell you, I'm still suffering, and haven't found anything at all that'll make the situation better. I just wanted to let you know, that someone here are experiencing the exact same thing as you.

I wish you all the best, and just ask, if you have any questions...

Hey, these problems really suck don't they? It's like my life had just been taken from me with no answers. It may have been the b12, I had taken a good b complex before switching to what messed me up but it only had 1000mcg not 5000mcg. Also I had never taken folate or p5p but other high quality versions of the vitamin.

The thing that terrifies me is the fact at how fast my bones and joints are degenerating. My upper spine and neck literally feels like there's a vice grip on it and all my joints feel like it's almost bone on bone. Also my body is suffering from the inability to hold ANY water. I feel like I'm dying not just having some side effects, because none of these symptoms are stabilizing just getting worse.

Have you had a heavy metals and minerals test done yet? I also think during the methylation I activated my bodies healing process too fast and now I have severe Mercury toxicity. I don't even know if I can do chelation for it because of the state of my digestion. I feel I'm just waiting to die.

Labs from 12/13/16:
Testosterone, Free: 49.6 pg/mL (46.0 - 224.0 pg/mL)
Testosterone: 295.20 NG/dL (175 - 781 NG/dL)
T3, Free: 3.88 PG/mL (2.5 - 3.9 PG/mL)
TSH: 0.96 uIu/mL (0.34 - 5.60 uIu/mL)
Vitamin B-12: > 1500 PG/mL (200 - 914 PG/mL)
Vitamin D3: 43 ng/mL (30 - 100 ng/mL)
Vitamin D2: < 4 ng/mL

Labs from 1/24/17:
TSH: 2.75 uIu/mL (0.34 - 5.60 uIu/mL)
T3 Free: 3.55 PG/mL (2.5 - 3.9 PG/mL)
DHEA: 213.6 uG/dL (5 - 690 uG/dL)
Total Estrogens: 88 pg/mL (60 - 190 pg/mL)
Estradiol: 18 PG/mL (<40 pg/mL)
Free Testosterone: 62.7 pg/mL (46.0 - 224.0 pg/mL)
Testosterone: 341.27 NG/dL (175 - 781 NG/dL)
Vitamin D3: 45 ng/mL (30 - 100 ng/mL)
Prolactin: 10.4 NG/mL (2.6 - 13.1 NG/mL)
Glucose: 101 MG/dl (70 - 140 MG/dL)

Sodium: 136 MMOL/L. (35 - 143 MMOL/L)
Potassium: 4.2 MMOL/L. (3.6 - 5.1 MMOL/L)
Chloride: 99 MMOL/L. (98 - 107 MMOL/L)
C02: 30 MMOL/L. (22 - 30 MMOL/L)
BUN: 8 MG/dL. (7.0 - 21.0 MG/dL)
Creatinine: 0.8 MG/dL. ( 0.6 - 1.2 MG/dL)

Labs from 2/6/17:
Cortisol - 11.22 UG/dL (6.7 - 22.6 UG/dL)
Lactate Dehydrogenase - 114 IU/L (98 - 192 IU/L)
C-REACTIVE PROTEIN,HIGH SENSIT - 0.05 MG/dL (0.0 - 0.7 MG/dL)
Sedimentation rate Automated - 2 MM/HR (0 - 15 MM/HR)
LYME AB IGG - NEGATIVE
LYME AB IGM - NEGATIVE
Rheumatoid Factor < 7 IU/mL < 14 IU/mL

Labs from 2/15/17:
Blood sodium: 139 mmol/L (135-143 mmol/L)
Urine sodium: 16 mmol/L (28-272 mmol/L). - LOW!!!

They didn't test your b6....p5p is stronger and those are symptoms of b6 Toxicity.

Upper spine and neck pain sound very much like calcium deficiency. Paleo diet making things worse is going to contribute to that.

All the people trying to sell magnesium have really demonised calcium but it's absolutely vital - my deficiency came along with the most severe depression.

Eating the high amounts of phosphorus and low amounts of calcium that a paleo diet brings, alongside the adrenal stress of a low carb diet, is perhaps a big problem for you.

Eat as much as you possibly can including carbs. If you can tolerate dairy then it's a good idea for calcium, if not you might need to supplement. Solgar do calcium with a small amount of vit D to help metabolise - i don't know if large vit d doses are wise if you're having electrolyte issues (sunshine is great though).

Calories are your friend in recovery - 3k a day for 4-6 weeks (lots of carbs) and see how you get on.

Eat as much real, balanced food as you can but remember carbs and calories are both very important in getting your body back towards equilibrium. It's okay to eat chips now and then :)