• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ben and Claire's adventure to Davis-Dafoe land!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Don't get too big headed Ben, these new powers of attraction that you've recently discovered are probably just down to the English accent, apparently the Americans can't get enough of it... ;)

I hate to admit it, but it's true! Someone could be selling used cars (or hemorrhoid cream!), and if they used a British accent, we Americans would be goners ... :rolleyes::rofl:

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
On a side note, I got a special (meme-esque) T-shirt made for the trip:

IMG_1178.JPG

Based on Rons Intellect > Arrogance ratio and how that leads him to choose scientists to work with.

I also got Ron one, then realised shortly after that he himself wearing it might defy the salient point of the T-shirt.

B

maybe some day

I just joined the other day, but been following your posts for a week. Thank you for taking the time and strength to update us. Read about Ron, Janet and Whitney not too long ago. I really hope that Whitney realizes he isnt forgotten from all of us that know what hes going through.
I can completely relate to tears of hope when you arrived. For once, I feel with Ron and Rons team, that there is a shimmer of light at the end of this wretched tunnel.

Barry53

So I hope you will enjoy your 1000000th birthday whenever it is in the next year. :(

Just remember there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't. :thumbdown:
I intend to give it my best shot. (I don't think ages look so good in binary :)).

Last edited:

TrixieStix

@Ben Howell

I have just learned this morning that my Vasopressin is below normal range (OMI testing). I found a statement attributed to Dr. Kaufman that says in addition to Low NK Cell Function he also considers Low Vasopressin a bio-marker for ME/CFS.

In my case this has indeed proven to be true as I tic both boxes.

Last edited:

TrixieStix

just looked this up and it's a man made form of ADH, so don't you mean your ADH is below normal levels?
No. ADH is Vasopressin. Vasopressin and ADH are used interchangably.

"Vasopressin, also known as antidiuretic hormone (ADH), is a neurohypophysial hormone found in most mammals."

There is a synthetic man-made form used to treat people with partial or total lack of Vasopressin.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I found a statement attributed to Dr. Kaufman that says in addition to Low NK Cell Function he also considers Low Vasopressin a bio-marker for ME/CFS.

I am not sure if he still considers this to be a biomarker (and would NEVER, EVER presume to speak for him) but in my case I had very low NK functioning and undetectable vasopressin and this matched 100% w/ other ME/CFS patients yet I did not match on so many other factors that we now feel it is not my diagnosis. So there must be other autoimmune mediated illnesses w/those two factors?

Jennifer J

Oh, happy belated birthday to Claire! :balloons: :star: :cake: :gift: :wine: :mug: :music: :heart: :bow:

p- hbdy.jpg

What a nice party Ashley threw.

Claire looks beautiful! @AshleyHalcyoneH does, too!

@Ben, I saw this and thought of you and your post.

prideofgypsiesCOOKIES Support the @girlscouts and my addiction. Yum yum eat'm up Girl Scout cookies #supportyourlocalgirlgang #girlscouts #samoasforlife. #donttouchmyshortbread. Aloha j

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQrG2GQluzw/?hl=en&taken-by=prideofgypsies

Hope you and Claire get to eat some girl scout cookies. :cookie::cookie: :)

Very quick update.

Janet got to sleep at 6:45am this morning after a crazy day with Whitney needing to go to hospital-i'm writing about this separately.

Anyway, somehow she is managing to go and teach at a psychology meeting (she'll correct me on this if I am wrong) and then promptly informed me she is coming home to sleep with me :D

Ofcourse she means sleep as in zzz, but still, too funny.

B

On my way!

Foggy me, misread this. I thought Janet wrote: Oh, my!

Hope you are feeling a little better (preferably a lot), @Ben. Take good care.

Ben H

I just joined the other day, but been following your posts for a week. Thank you for taking the time and strength to update us. Read about Ron, Janet and Whitney not too long ago. I really hope that Whitney realizes he isnt forgotten from all of us that know what hes going through.
I can completely relate to tears of hope when you arrived. For once, I feel with Ron and Rons team, that there is a shimmer of light at the end of this wretched tunnel.

Welcome to the forum @maybe some day ! Thanks for checking the thread.

B

Ben H

Quick update:

Busy few days with medical appointments and travelling. Hope to post next update soon.

On a side note our car got a puncture while Claire was on a long journey and we have now got a massive V6 Nissan Frontier truck :D (picture is apparently too big to post!).

It's niceeeee!

B

Last edited:

JaimeS

Hey everyone -- I will make a new thread on this as well, but if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or know any who do, please consider asking them to donate blood as a healthy control. The blood will be used for multiple purposes, not just to compare to ME/CFS patients', but you would be helping us out a lot.

Please don't ask blood relatives to donate; we're looking for truly healthy controls between the ages of 18 and 75.

Eventbrite allows you to 'purchase' a ticket, but in order to schedule a blood draw, please contact me.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stanford-is-looking-for-healthy-blood-donors-tickets-32490347504

Gingergrrl

@JaimeS Can you take healthy donors from So. CA (not me of course, but I know lots of others who would do it) or do they need to be in SF/No. CA only?