• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ben and Claire's adventure to Davis-Dafoe land!

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Very quick update.

Janet got to sleep at 6:45am this morning after a crazy day with Whitney needing to go to hospital-i'm writing about this separately.

Anyway, somehow she is managing to go and teach at a psychology meeting (she'll correct me on this if I am wrong) and then promptly informed me she is coming home to sleep with me :D

Ofcourse she means sleep as in zzz, but still, too funny.

B

Very quick update.

Janet got to sleep at 6:45am this morning after a crazy day with Whitney needing to go to hospital-i'm writing about this separately.

Anyway, somehow she is managing to go and teach at a psychology meeting (she'll correct me on this if I am wrong) and then promptly informed me she is coming home to sleep with me :D

B
Don't get too big headed Ben, these new powers of attraction that you've recently discovered are probably just down to the English accent, apparently the Americans can't get enough of it... ;)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Part 8:

Claires birthday.

So it was Claires birthday on the 21st. The ripe old age of 29. Im sure she won't mind me telling you...

As I'm sure many of you can empathise, being bedbound and dependent on one's significant other for almost everything brings about a number of challenges, arranging birthdays being one of them.

However in California I had a secret weapon...Ashley @AshleyHalcyoneH !

Ashley is simply amazing. As you know she advocates on behalf of her brother Whitney, and all of us with MECFS, but she also does a HUGE amount behind the scenes for the cause. She is also awesome at planning surprise birthday parties!

During the day of Claires birthday Ashley and I exchanged texts, with Ashley asking me what Claire likes to eat (anything), her favourite food etc, knowing that I of course could not get this myself.

So during the day Ashley managed to get some amazing food, and the densest, most delicious chocolate cake I have ever had. You could literally build a house with that thing. I've asked Ron to run some diagnostics on it.

Ashley invited @JaimeS and Laurel to join and we had a surprise birthday bash! I had a litre of saline which allowed me to stay upright for most of the evening, and Claire had a great time, spending most of the evening wrapped up like a little burrito in Janet and Rons rocking chair and laughing a lot. I had an amazingly tender chicken dish cooked by Theo and everyone else had the most tender prime beef joint I have ever seen.

Jaime kindly brought some delicious vegan icecream and Laurel brought some Petoskey stones as a gift for us both. This was really touching and they are absolutely beautiful.

Anyway. I am so grateful that Ashley arranged all of this, with Ron and Janet as hosts and that Theo, Jaime and Laurel were able to come. A really funny, special evening full of great conversation and laughter.

P.s attached are some photos. I tried to capture the bringing out of said cake and candles but failed. You had one job Ben, one job....

IMG_1186.JPG

Birthday girl
IMG_1189.JPG

Cake time

IMG_1195.JPG

Ron being molested by Ashleys dog Frankie. She's just really friendly!

B

Last edited:

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Very quick update.

B
On my way!