• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My CFS/ME was GHD

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
you dont need an insulin tolerance test to do the gh stim test. now they use arginine or glucagon. some insurance companies require you test with both agents separately. the insulin tolerance test is barbaric and phased out by any endo with half a brain (which rules out most of them). I am GHD but GH gave me some energy but wasn't a cure all.

@xks201, Did you have the insulin tolerance test done? I've very nervous about it and have been putting it off for a year... Would love to know your experience.

Hip

I recently got an HGH blood test done (not the ITT) at a London lab, to see if I might be HGH deficient (I did have viral meningitis some years go, which can affect the pituitary). Annoyingly, when the results came back, the reference range on my test results had an upper limit, but no lower limit was specified, so it's hard to interpret whether I might have low HGH.

My HGH blood level was: 0.5 ug/L. Reference range: Up to 0.8 ug/L

kewia

Annoyingly, when the results came back, the reference range on my test results had an upper limit, but no lower limit was specified, so it's hard to interpret whether I might have low HGH.

Maybe this(page 8, first entry) clarifies:
Interpretive Data: Note that random single Growth Hormone (hGH) levels are inadequate, as levels in normal and diseased populations overlap. Therefore, hGH suppression and stimulation tests are needed to evaluate conditions of hGH excess and deficiency. Also stated reference levels do not reflect variations in secretion of hGH from the pituitary gland, that are often episodic and pulsatile.