• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

caledonia

Mercury and arsenic inhibit the citric acid cycle.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22340/

In general, mercury and other toxic metals disrupt pathways and enzymes all over the body, such as seen in the large metabolomics cycle diagram in the video.

Some of these metals are, unfortunately, ubiquitous in our environment and bioaccumulate in the body, starting in utero, from the mother. The half life of their natural detoxification can be decades, therefore, you need to chelate them out to get a timely resolution.

If this ends up being "the" root cause, and Ron can come up with a better way to chelate or a workaround for these metals, that would be huge, not only for ME/CFS, but also 30 other major diseases.

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering

In general, mercury and other toxic metals disrupt pathways and enzymes all over the body, such as seen in the large metabolomics cycle diagram in the video.

Some of these metals are, unfortunately, ubiquitous in our environment and bioaccumulate in the body, starting in utero, from the mother. The half life of their natural detoxification can be decades, therefore, you need to chelate them out to get a timely resolution.

If this ends up being "the" root cause, and Ron can come up with a better way to chelate or a workaround for these metals, that would be huge, not only for ME/CFS, but also 30 other major diseases.

Please make Ron aware of this and any other hypothesis you may have, supported by a scientific study.
I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR THE DONATIONS GUYS! :thumbsup::angel::thumbsup:

I can confirm, without a shadow of a doubt, that is indeed how Prof Davis is. Even before my time over here this has been demonstrated, and during my time here has been demonstrated again and again and observed directly by myself! I assumed something about pyruvate, and Prof Davis flipped my theory on its arse, in a way I had not even comprehended. I'd like to say it was my cognition and brainfog, but it's not. It's just the way Prof Davis thinks. No assumptions. I have never met anyone like him.

B

Thanks again for sharing Ben:thumbsup: I think the highlight of the new video is Prof Davis saying, "I understand this disease pretty well now" Just wow!!!

Learner1

@caledonia said:

Please make Ron aware of this and any other hypothesis you may have, supported by a scientific study.

At the United Mitochondrial Disease Conference last June, Robert Naviaux"s talk on Cell Danger Response was followed by Kendall Wallace who showed the slide below of arsenic in mitochondria - it's the black ball in the image on the right and the smaller black particles in the image on the left.

Mitochondria do store a lot of toxins. They're difficult to get out. My doctor has had me on an alpha lipoic acid complex called PolyMVA to remove toxic stuff from mine, with a lot of support to get it all the way out of me. It has pulled out arsenic and lead - I had the symptoms of the toxins and it was measurable on labs. Arsenic inhibits ATP production and I felt it dramatically.

Dr. Naviaux gave an impassioned speech to the doctors in the UMDF audience about being more outspoken about toxins and to protect delicate mitochondrial disease patients from toxins from the environment as well as the toxic effects that most pharmaceuticals have on mitochondria, including most antibiotics and psychiatric medications.

I also saw Joe Pizzorno speak a couple of weeks ago - he was a co-founder of Bastyr U and a leader in alternative medicine. He has a new book on toxicity coming out and shared reams of data on toxicity we all have and how specific toxins cause various diseases.

Attention to this should be a component of a cure... it's an inconvenient truth, as it adds to the complexity.

I was convinced Dr. Naviaux knows this...and assume he and Dr Davis talk about this?? I'm not sure how detoxing fits with the new developments, though...

Attachments

• arsenic in mitochondria.png
    arsenic in mitochondria.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 20

M Paine

How would it be that mercury and arsenic which are sequestered inside cells, would be leeching out in large enough quantities into serum to cause healthy cells to become hypometabolic in culture? It seems rather contradictory to talk about how difficult it is to remove these heavy metals and toxins, but at the same time expect ordinary serum to be leeching out enough contaminants in sufficiently cause disease in healthy cell lines in a very short amount of time.

I think it's interesting that they will screen Valtrex, Rituximab, and others. Hopefully they include, Methylcobalamin (B12), Magnesium, Zinc and all the other commonly used adjuncts.

It must be an exciting time in the laboratory.

hixxy

Life Extension has a new ATP + Propionyl-L-carnitine supplement that is claimed to boost RBC and plasma ATP levels for at least six hours. Apparently the capsules are enteric coated, but other than that, I'm unsure what makes this product better than previous attempts.

If the claims haven't be proven in patients with ME then they aren't really relevant.

M Paine

Really interested to know how feasible Pyruvate supplimentation is. I'm guessing there's some reason why Calcium Pyruvate tablets wouldn't work.

I'm a little confused by what Ron was saying, if Pyuvate Dehydrogenase is the blockade, then how does adding pyruvate to culture bypass the need for PDH? When he says Pruvate, does he mean after it has been removed of the CO2? IE Acetyl-CoA?

alex3619

Wonder if topical or injections of ATP would work.
Its extremely unlikely any feasible amount of ATP will help a whole organism. Pyruvate is more feasible. Other things need to be tried, which is what the team plans.

We turn over huge amounts of ATP in the course of a day, the tiny drop from a tablet might not help much. However a single injectible dose might be considered, not because it is a lot, but because it is comparatively a lot over a very short time frame. That might give things a very brief jolt. Who knows what that might do? This might also be very dangerous though as ATP is not only energy currency, but involved in a lot of signalling.

Why pyruvate? A block is sensitive to quantity. If there is enough quantity it might force it through the block. It might also send signals to the body to change enzymatic regulation of pyruvate metabolism. Its not just about adding pyruvate, its about secondary effects. Acetyl Co-A is something I would consider. They suspect pyruvate because it changes cell behaviour in their assay. That is they have some limited experimental evidence.

aquariusgirl

I was wondering if the metabolic picture implicated oxolates..,because of the widespread mineral disruption?? They also bind metals ..so that is a twofer.

M Paine

The pyruvate block might be a protective mechanism, so trying to override it with various supplements, without first fixing the reason it is blocked, might be a bad idea.

Very true. I also suspect that if pyruvate supplementation worked, someone would have stumbled upon it. I get the feeling people have searched far and wide for an off the shelf solution.

halcyon

If blood serum contains the dysfunction, how do autoantibodies and stealth infections relate (assuming they're valid theories).
Persistent immune response to the persistent pathogen could be causing continuous production and systemic circulation of things like TNF-alpha, IL-1, etc. that have the ability to modify PDH function (source) and thus cause hypometabolism in cells distant from the viral reservoir. These immune messengers are what would be present in the serum causing the dysfunction(s).

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Really interested to know how feasible Pyruvate supplimentation is. I'm guessing there's some reason why Calcium Pyruvate tablets wouldn't work.

I'm a little confused by what Ron was saying, if Pyuvate Dehydrogenase is the blockade, then how does adding pyruvate to culture bypass the need for PDH? When he says Pruvate, does he mean after it has been removed of the CO2? IE Acetyl-CoA?
Ron says: Pyruvate is not very soluble so it's difficult to get enough of it into your cells. I mentioned the pyruvate because it is inhibiting the increase in impedance that we see when we stress cells in the presence of ME/CFS serum.

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
My question is how does this fit into a grand theory of ME/CFS?

If blood serum contains the dysfunction, how do autoantibodies and stealth infections relate (assuming they're valid theories).

B-cells move through the blood...
Ron has figured out that whatever is in the serum that's triggering this is a big molecule, so it could be a protein, A protein complex, or an antibody (which includes auto antibodies)