• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this joint pain

Jessie 107

Hi everyone,
I am try to find out why I am suddenly experiencing more pain (this is a new symptom for me) and trying to work out if this is a side effect of my antidepressants or not.
So two weeks ago I went from 10 to 20 mg of citalopram, have graduly had increased muscle pain in thighs and now I have what I can only describe as deep pain in hip/pelvic area like a strong ache, this is now waking me up at night.
My question is do any of you experience this type of pain?
I have also had a flare up this week that I am not over yet. Until now, I have been managing to walk with my dog for about 35 minutes, but now I can't even do that. I have the usual flu like symptoms with sore throat,swollen lymph nodes in the neck, etc, I just hope this isn't permanent and I will get back to where I was (which wasn't great)
This morning I only took half of the 20 mg tablet to see if if will make a difference.
Any advice appreciated
Jessie

arewenearlythereyet

I have this pain to a greater or lesser degree most of the time. The pain is mainly in the legs at the hips, knee joints but also in ankles and to a lesser degree in arm and shoulder joints. The pain was a lot worse when I first got ill, and fades to a dull general ache when I'm pacing well etc. At its worse I had trouble walking very short distances/woke me up in the night and regular otc pain meds were not effective. The doctor prescribed me naproxen in the end mainly due to my strange hunchback of notradamme gait was causing other problems. The pain flares up when I crash and I use it as a warning sign to slow down. My pain over the last 2 weeks has been moderate due to the cold virus I've had for weeks. I don't think this has anything to do with the antidepressants if that's any help?

Jessie 107

Thank you for your reply. Maybe this is due to me having a flare up at moment then, the only thing seemed to help abit but not much, was heat from electric blanket last night.
I am trying not to do much at the moment as I just feel so ill. Such a frustrating and horrible illness, I really struggle with it and all the emotions that go with living with it.
Thankyou again
Jessie

arewenearlythereyet

No worries ...just look after yourself....hopefully the pain will subside. this latest virus has left me pretty motionless too, just need to lay up whenever I can and try not to get too frustrated. If the pain gets unbearable you may need to see your GP like I did. I hope it gets better for you.

Paralee

@Jessie 107 , pain in joints or muscles is one of the more uncommon symptoms.

I have joint pain from a Cipro reaction and am trying to start an antidepressant. It worked great but with my joint pain already in existence I'm wondering if I'm in a flare or it made it worse.

Mine isn't an SSRI, though, so your question kind of surprised me. The hip pain sounds like bone, but probably could be muscle or tendon? I'm not sure what all these different things can do. I just came on here looking for someone that may have had joint pain with the one I'm trying to take. Good luck.

@Jessie 107 pain is also new to me but I get it mostly in my hips too. Also in my knees and ankles (in all joints, really), the pain wanders.

I'm now realizing that it definitely gets worse when I exhaust myself, it most often occurs in the evening, after school.

Kati

Patient in training
@Jessie 107 we don't know your age, your medical history, and we are not doctors. It might be best to make an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause of your pain. It could be many things. In general when people talk about joint pain, it's related to extremities. Joint pain that is unilateral would be considered quite different than someone who have bilateral pain with swelling, and involving many joints.
Since you have had drastic changes (not able to walk the dog, pain that wakes you up) it would be safe to go to the doctor, and get it checked out.

Best wishes.